Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Default Upgrading from Blackberry

So im completely new to this forum, coming from a blackberry storm 2. I plan on upgrading to the X when it comes out. Just a quick question, does anyone know if there is a way to get all of my info (contacts, messages, etc.) from the blackberry to the droid? thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by johnglad View Post
    So im completely new to this forum, coming from a blackberry storm 2. I plan on upgrading to the X when it comes out. Just a quick question, does anyone know if there is a way to get all of my info (contacts, messages, etc.) from the blackberry to the droid? thanks all
    For the contacts you can use either the back-up assistant app from Verizon or move your contacts from your BB to your computer to your Google account. I'm not sure about the messages, however.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Like mentioned, I set up a gmail account, installed Google Sync on my BB Storm and once that was done it saved all of my contacts and calendar info. My messages - emails and such- were not so I plan to transfer those via SD card once I upgrade to the X. There is also a good article on this site that talks about going from BB to Android. It was very helpful.
    Thanked by:

Thanks for posting this..... I did not want to DL the Blackberry assistant on my computer(I recently got a new laptop) so it is good to know google has a way of doing it. Now I dont have to run to a Verizon store and have them do it!!

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Here is the BB to Android article...

http://www.androidcentral.com/jumpin...-you-need-know

Hope this is helpful!

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Default Changing From BB to Android

FIRST POST...Coming to Android from a BB Tour. Love BB but like many, I am tired of battery pulls and OS hangups. I had a DINC that was to be shipped on 7/9 but canceled it due to all the talk of screens, delayed ship dates, and of course...Droid X! For anyone told that you can't cancel or that you have to pay a restock fee even before it ships...be persistent. I kindly explained my concerns to VZW CS and they allowed me to cancel and not pay a restock fee. They were even going to call me when the X launched so I could order but will probably order online or pre order at Best Buy. I have always dealt with VZW directly but left to wonder if Best Buy is a better option. Any downside to Best Buy? How are returns handled? Thanks in advance...looking forward to the X!

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM4DXGB, Stock Rooted,

I'm making the switch from a 9630 to the X. The Tour was my first smartphone. As you can see it left a very bad taste in my mouth when it comes to RIM, so I'm jumping ship.

As others have stated, I've already backed up all my contacts with Google Sync. The messages I'm not too worried about. Everything else (ringtones, pictures, etc.) I'll just pull off my BB onto my PC via USB/SD if I feel the need to. I really just plan on starting from scratch with nothing but my contacts so the switch isn't a huge process for me.
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~ D.N.A.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM4DXGB, Stock Rooted,

Wink

The moment you set foot on Best Buy property your soul withers away and dies. If you've got no problem with that, shop away!
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~ D.N.A.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeCreep View Post
    I really just plan on starting from scratch with nothing but my contacts so the switch isn't a huge process for me.
    Same here. Coming from a Storm2. Not happy after either Storm phones. Finally leaving RIM for an Android.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeCreep View Post
    The moment you set foot on Best Buy property your soul withers away and dies. If you've got no problem with that, shop away!
    My soul aside...what am I losing by going to Best Buy? Just asking...

Quote Originally Posted by fyrmng View Post
    My soul aside...what am I losing by going to Best Buy? Just asking...
    Seriously, can I get my state employee discount setup there?

Default Coming From Curve Ready To Move Over To Droid Pro

Coming from Curve. But waiting for a quality Droid with a Keyboard. Hopefully it will be the Droid Pro if the rumors are true. I can't wait I want to try out a Droid that X is truly a beautiful phone with great specs.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Blackberry Tour user here, soon to convert to the Droid X. Been playing with a Motorola Droid and loving the Android OS.

Outlook is the center of my biz world, which Blackberry seamlessly sync'd though needed to connect to my PC. Here's a great solution I've used that works great sync'd Outlook's contacts and calendar, and without needed to physically connect to a PC, CompanionLink at Google Android sync | Sync Droid, Nexus One, and CLIQ with PC software like Outlook.

You can have it auto sync at your defined time interval, along with having a separate PC desktop icon when mouse clicked, will force an immediate sync. Basically, it sync's Outlook to a Gmail account. That Gmail account wirelessly sync's to the Droid, typically within a few minutes.

Have fun with the transition from RIM to Android.

ROM
    Stock

I'm still kicking myself for opting for Storm2 over the Droid. The keyboard was honestly my only gripe. I was so young and naive.

I've put up with my original Storm (day 1 purchase) for nearly a year and a half, and July 15th can't come soon enough so that I can wave goodbye to BB/RIM and welcome with open arms Moto/Android.

haha I got my stupid BB Curve 8330 just a few months before the Tour and the Droid came out!!! I should have waited but my hubby's phone broke so I took his early upgrade and he took my EnV 2!! LOL He recently used my 2 yr upgrade and now I am going to use his annual upgrade again to get the X!! I cannot wait to get off of the RIM OS. I didnt mind it at first but after awhile the lack of being able to do much gets very annoying!!! I dont know how much longer I can wait..... I have been obsessively been researching the X!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JubbaTheHutt View Post
    I've put up with my original Storm (day 1 purchase) for nearly a year and a half, and July 15th can't come soon enough so that I can wave goodbye to BB/RIM and welcome with open arms Moto/Android.
    We're in the same boat.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by john_ecko View Post
    We're in the same boat.
    me three

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Change too often.

I've been back and forth so many times between a Storm/Tour/Droid/Nexus One I have lost track. Every time I switch I miss the one I had before. Blackberry devices are great...Android devices are great. I've just accepted the fact I'm a gadget ***** and will never be happy.
    Semper Fi; Go Bears; Go Gators

Honestly, I loved my Storm early on, but after Verizon wasted no time popping out the Storm 2 in less than a year after the first one was released as an "iPhone" killer, I realized I bought into the hype.

Match that with the fact that this phone hasn't seen more than one official OS update, and RIM's "app world" being a joke, I'm not saddened to leave behind BB.

Quote Originally Posted by JubbaTheHutt View Post
    Match that with the fact that this phone hasn't seen more than one official OS update, and RIM's "app world" being a joke, I'm not saddened to leave behind BB.
    I totally agree, the app world sucks!!! I am also sick of not getting my FB or email updates till hours later and that is even after a pull!!! I only have the curve but I am just sick of RIM!!! My Ipod touch gets them faster and that only works when I am at home or near internet!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by didiwags View Post
    I totally agree, the app world sucks!!! I am also sick of not getting my FB or email updates till hours later and that is even after a pull!!! I only have the curve but I am just sick of RIM!!! My Ipod touch gets them faster and that only works when I am at home or near internet!! LOL
    Oh my God, don't even get me started on memory leaks. I can't tell you how many times a week I have to do soft and hard resets.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

+1 on the battery pulls. I have the original Storm and without any 3rd party apps I am pulling the battery at least 2-3 times a day to stop memory leaks. Usually I hover around 20mb on a good day, but it usually dwindles down to 7 by the afternoon.

I hope VZW will let me use my NE2 even though my upgrade isn't until October. But July 16 is my b-day...

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

i used google sync on my BB and then they were on my Droid once i signed in
    Samsung Galaxy S3 | Jedi Invasion |

I've gotta say: This is really great to see that I am not alone in this. I got a Pearl several years ago and when the Storm 2 dropped I had to have it. The perfect touch device. All problems from gen 1 fixed, right? Sure, it was passable for a while, but as time has gone on I have exhausted my patience reservoir with the antiquated technology, battery pulls, 20-minute re-boots, bare-bones app world, non-existent social networking integration, and sub-dial up browsing speeds. Opera Mini helped, but it was a band aid over an artery slice. Then said Storm 2 got stolen two weeks ago and Verizon upgraded me over a year early so I could get a new phone at the sign up rate to replace the jacked one as a thanks for ten years onboard (note: Verizon rules). The CS rep strongly advised me to get an Incredible, but I stubbornly stuck with the Storm 2 and have regretted it every day since. I've been doing research like crazy and seeing how I've got two weeks left to return this BB and use the payment towards anything else, it is time. The truth is clear: Droid is the future, and to deny that is just silly. These things have barely even left beta and what they can do already is astounding.

To confirm, I went to a Verizon store this afternoon to try an Incredible and just shook my head as it absolutely blazed...at everything...and looked positively gorgeous while doing so. I couldn't even keep up with it. So, July 15th, I will be rocking a Droid X. BB, it has been fun, and you really got my feet wet with smart phones, but like any padawan who has reached the ceiling it is time to level up.

People, I apologize in advance, but I am new here and will probably be bombarding the Droid masters regularly about all kinds of stuff, such as rooting (!), tethering, themes, wallpaper, etc. And don't worry: I know how to use the search function.

Buh-bye, BlackBerry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast