Droid X Mobile Hotspot - and Calls ?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
With the Mobile Hotspot feature enabled on the Droid X, can you make and receive phone calls while using the Mobile Hotspot?

I've looked around but haven't been able to find and answer, maybe I just missed it. I was just thinking of the CDMA concurrent voice/data restriction. I am really hoping you can make and receive calls somehow.

If hotspot and voice calls cannot happen concurrently, does the call come in and the data connection cease? Thanks in advance.

Don

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would assume it would be similar to how tethering works on my Verizon blackberry. The data session is merely paused during the phone call, and resumed once the call is terminated. Not that big of a deal honestly, at least in my practice. Then again, I don't sit on the phone and talk for hours on end either.

And to clarify, while using the MiFi/tethering/whatever, calls do get priority, so you WILL know that a call is coming in. You won't miss calls just because you're online.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, c4v3man.

Anyone else have any more knowledge/info about this feature on the Droid X, or know anyone with a Verizon Palm Pre Plus maybe (also has Mobile Hotspot)?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, c4v3man.

Anyone else have any more knowledge/info about this feature on the Droid X, or know anyone with a Verizon Palm Pre Plus maybe (also has Mobile Hotspot)?

Like the user above said, it will pause and go to the voice call. Once LTE hits that will change but until then, something we have to deal with.

mupi

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Worth noting is that if you are using Skype for your calls, then it's a data connection, not a voice connection. I THINK if you use your Google Voice # it comes into the phone as VOIP as well (meaning, again, it's considered data, not voice). So if you are intending to use hotspot mode, you might want to think seriously about using one of those services.

IMO, that's one of the reasons VZW was the first majro US carrier to allow skype calls on the data network (as opposed to via WiFi): it negates one of the biggest advertising advantages AT&T has had. (I'm with those who say it isn't that big a deal, it's hard to talk on the phone and surf the net at the same time anyway, but AT&T has been pressing that point in their commercials)

So the burning question in my mind is, once LTE hits, will this phone be able to use LTE, or will it be relegated to the dustbin and we'll have to all rush out and buy new phones with LTE support?

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
IMO, that's one of the reasons VZW was the first majro US carrier to allow skype calls on the data network (as opposed to via WiFi): it negates one of the biggest advertising advantages AT&T has had. (I'm with those who say it isn't that big a deal, it's hard to talk on the phone and surf the net at the same time anyway, but AT&T has been pressing that point in their commercials)

This is because AT&T thinks its way beyond people to say "I'll look up movie times/a restaurant/directions and call you back in 2 minutes"

I think even on the iPhone it'd be easier to just do this instead of doing it while on call.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, I think Skype uses Verizon's servers to do a voice->network connection. On my storm, I see it dialing a phone number, and it uses the phone app. Nothing wrong with this approach, but I think this is why Verizon is the only one doing this, is not because of their data network, but due to some partnership that has Verizon paying for the servers to do the conversion.

I could be wrong though. Also, Google Voice does not offer VOIP. You can connect it to your own VOIP service, or use Gizmo5 or whatever, but in and of itself it is not VOIP. So again, it will count as voice minutes when it routes to your cell (unless you are connecting to your own independent VOIP service, which is associated using it's telephone number to your Google voice account).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's a good point about the beginning LTE phones though, as they will have both LTE and CDMA radios in them so the user is able to call form anywhere, 3G or 4G area.

So yes, I think it will matter where you are during the buildout (3G/4G overlap time) to know if you can do similtaneous voice/data - i.e. you would need to be in a 4g area for that. You will NOT have to be in a 4G area to make a call though ..

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven't done too much research on Sprint's network implimentation, but my current understanding is that their current 4G implementation still only allows data, not both data and voice. The only reason you can do voice+data is because both 3g and 4g radios can be active simultaneously. Verizon (and Sprint's future) LTE-4G rollout will support simultaneous data and voice on a single radio. That's my understanding anyways. I'd love to be corrected if I'm incorrect in this assumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12