Free Tethering

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Will it be possible with the X? I don't see why not, but I wanted to be sure.

When I was in the market for the Inc, one of the major selling points for me was the ability to tether for free with that one app(don't remember what it was called... PD something? I don't know...).

So, with that same program, shouldn't it be possible to tether for free with the X as well? Or is it possible there will be a hardware restriction?

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well isn't FroYo supposed to be coming out with that option available anyway? Verizon might disable it on their FroYo release to promote their business model, but tethering is only one computer usually, not 5 like they advertise. So maybe we will still be seeing free tethering when the X comes out.

Who needs a mobile hotspot anyway? tethering is so much better if it's FREE!

swazedahustla

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well isn't FroYo supposed to be coming out with that option available anyway? Verizon might disable it on their FroYo release to promote their business model, but tethering is only one computer usually, not 5 like they advertise. So maybe we will still be seeing free tethering when the X comes out.

Who needs a mobile hotspot anyway? tethering is so much better if it's FREE!

In order to use free thethering you would need to be rooted. And its looking like thats gonna be a tuff one for this phone. So until then the only way I see would to get their $30 hotspot feature, or use PDAnet which i think is $27 one time. As far as froyo, im sure verizon is killing that feature.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
In order to use free thethering you would need to be rooted. And its looking like thats gonna be a tuff one for this phone. So until then the only way I see would to get their $30 hotspot feature, or use PDAnet which i think is $27 one time. As far as froyo, im sure verizon is killing that feature.

Yea that's what I was afraid of. I' guess pdanet compatibility (w/o rooting) is still up in the air?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
pdanet is apparently working fine on the X, and its free, though the free version blocks secure websites (pay version does not)

chadilac5070

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Im praying for free tethering. It would make traveling a whole lot easier than trying to connect to wifi at different airports all the time.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The thing I don't like about PDANet is that it only supports USB tether and Bluetooth DUN. I mean it's still a good program, but what I really want is the WiFi tethering option. So hopefully this thing gets root stat.

chillkid007

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does Sprint's unlimited data include thethering? i know you have to pay 30 a month for the wifi hotspot but imjust wondering about usb thethering