1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Default PC Mag's Screen Comparison Article

Even though they declared the iPhone 4 screen the winner, I still enjoyed , by PC Magazine comparing the iPhone4, Incredible, EVO, and X's screen quality. Mostly because the X was a VERY close second, and if we had the 24-bit gallery from 2.0.1, we would be even closer. It's my understanding we can still download the old gallery anyway.
    Thanked by:
    Ktulu 
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,010 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

I think the iphone has the better screen too, but it's nice to see a nice unbiased article that involves the iphone.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

The iPhone has a good screen, possibly the best. But it seems kinda dull to me, and the tests reveal it's under saturated colors. I prefer punchy, and the slight discreptency in brightness could be explained probably by the increased screen size. I bet total light output is pretty comparable, but on a c/m^2 rating, the iPhone is brighter.

Irregardless, they both have great screens, and it's good to see iPhone finally joining the high-res game after a few years of Windows/Android dominance. Hopefully this means the industry has finally settled on WVGA minimum for all true smartphones.
    Press ALT-F4 to see nudes

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

I find it hilarious that the IPhone4 seems to be the end all be all of phones and there are class action lawsuits because the phone doesn't make calls or hold calls..

yeah great phone can't even use the most basic function of it.. I'm sick of hearing fanboys rave about the IPhone.. eh it was a cool phone when it came out very ground breaking but other developers have caught up and or passed the IPhone IMHO
    HTC Rezound, IPad2, and Galaxy Tab 10.1

Nice Read. Thanks for posting the link.

I actually like Apple and I have to agree that the screen on the iPhone is better. But thats it. I used to drool over the iPhone but once I heard about the droid x everything stopped. The thing that sold me on the droid x was the screen. I'm sick of small screens on phones. Another thing that sold me on the droid x was flash. Flash isn't that good and it's a resource hog but 80% of the internet uses it so I'm stuck with it. I think it's really cool that now I can do anything on a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by flipster View Post
    I actually like Apple and I have to agree that the screen on the iPhone is better. But thats it. I used to drool over the iPhone but once I heard about the droid x everything stopped. The thing that sold me on the droid x was the screen. I'm sick of small screens on phones. Another thing that sold me on the droid x was flash. Flash isn't that good and it's a resource hog but 80% of the internet uses it so I'm stuck with it. I think it's really cool that now I can do anything on a phone.
    Haha that is me to a T also!!! I used to keep looking up all the rumors of when Verizon could possibly get the iphone. Then I decided to give the androids a try and was searching when low and behold I discovered the Droid X just a couple days before it was annouced and after it was annouced it really got my attention!! Now the waiting just sucks LOL

After all the issues each iphone has had, I am so glad that I have an ipod touch and not the phone!!! They make great MP3 players but they suck at making phones!!!

I agree that article was actually pretty good and it was nice to see how close the X really is to the iphone 4!!
    Last edited by didiwags; 07-02-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Good read.

Global Posts
    836 Global Posts

Also found their review of both the Incredible and the X to be interesting (they give both a VERY GOOD rating and both are their Editor's Choice:

X:

Bottom Line

The Motorola Droid X takes the crown for the most powerful Android smartphone away from the HTC Droid Incredible.

Pros

Super-speedy processor. Wi-Fi hotspot mode. Bluetooth voice dialing. Excellent reception and noise cancellation.

Cons

Too big for some people. Won't play HD content over HDMI cable. No way to turn off Blur.

Incredible:

Bottom Line

HTC and Verizon Wireless have released the best Android phone so far with the Droid Incredible.

Pros

Great-looking screen. Lots of power. Good call quality. Gorgeous interface additions.

Cons

Camera doesn't live up to 8-MP billing. No voice dialing over Bluetooth. Android still lacks many apps compared to iPhone platform.

Their Con of the X (being too big) and the Sense UI on the Incredible being superior are why I will skip the X.

I thought that it did play HD(reviews I have read) and my nephew has the incredible and his phone takes great pics!! Better then my 10mp camera!!!

I still do not get why everyone compares it to the iphone! Verizon does not have the iphone so compare it to our phones!!! UGH Like i get it but seriously can we get more reviews that do not involve the iphone in some way!!!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by didiwags View Post
    I still do not get why everyone compares it to the iphone! Verizon does not have the iphone so compare it to our phones!!! UGH Like i get it but seriously can we get more reviews that do not involve the iphone in some way!!!
    I know right!
    Thanked by:

Haha I was the same way. Since I'm an Apple fan im always checking new mac rumors so i see the iphone ones to. Like I said though the droid x is the phone that I want and I think its better than the iphone and this is coming from a mac fan. And for the people complaining about them comparing it to the iphone you need to get over it because the iphone is one of the best phones. its kind of true that what ever apple creates the usually dominate it. if android keeps pulling off designs and quality phones like the droid x then they will be on top.

I have to disagree, the iphone is NOT the best phone, it sucks as a phone but is great at everything else!!! I have a good friend who has gotten so sick and tired of all the issues with the iphones that he is now switching to Verizon!!! Apple has not been able to get the phone part of the iphone to ever work correctly on any version of that phone!!! If they got that down THEN they would have the best phone!!! I have always wanted one but instead got an ipod touch and after hearing all the issue with the latest iphone i am more then happy with the ipod touch. I get the apps w/o the bad phone!!!
    I am not trying to be a hater but you cannot deny the truth!!

No it's true the iphone is one of the best phones. As for what you said it sucks at making calls is true but that's not Apple's fault that's Att's fault. If the iPhone was on Verizon then it would be good. Even then I wouldn't get it because I like the Droid x.

Seriously?? Your saying an antenna problem is At&t's fault???? No that is ALL Apple!!!
    I do agree that At&t is a big issue, but with all the iphone problems it is beginning to become apparent that it is not just At&t!! At&t was just the excuse but it is no longer the excuse when it is the antenna that is having issues!!
    Have you even heard that they are telling ppl to hold the phone differently and to get a bumber case that they will NOT supply as a fix instead of actually fixing the issue??? Like I said I have a friend who has an iphone and he posted the link on his FB about it.
    Like I said apple is a great company for computers and music, etc, but as a phone they are apparently lacking!!!

Up till recently I was one who drooled over there products, dont get me wrong I would still love an ipad, but the iphone is just lacking as an actual phone!!!

I have an iPad and i love it for some things, but I think it has actually made me appreciate my droid more as a phone. iPhone had my interest originally with all the apps it offered, but android has caught up quite a bit and I haven't really found an app that I want that i haven't been able to find in the android market.

You don't get what I'm saying. The public is too stupid to realize the problems with the iPhone. There not like us and go on forums and know this. I agree with you on that Apple's lame excuse for the antenna problems. Steve Job's basically screwed everyone over and told them not to hold it that way. But what I was saying is that not until recently the iPhone was the king of phones. The iPhone 3 gs didn't have a lot of problems and since the iPhone four is new people don't see the problems with it. The iPhone four would've been a good phone except for the problems with it. The iPhone 3 gs was a good phone but att's service stinks. I think the Droid x is better and that's why I'm getting it.
    Last edited by flipster; 07-02-2010 at 09:46 PM.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Would you guys please not hijack this thread and turn it into yet another Apple sucks discussion? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Would you guys please not hijack this thread and turn it into yet another Apple sucks discussion? Thanks.
    Read my posts and you'll see that's what I was preventing.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I read everyone's post, and if you read my original post you will see that this thread is about screen comparisons, not a thread defending or bashing apple.

LOL Boy attitudes change when someone complains!!! ;p

Either way the original article was great!! That is what counts!

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts

I appreciate that you posted the link to the article. It made my ebb and flow decision between the Inc and the X more towards the phone that I was hoping I would prefer. I've played with the Inc and am very impressed with it. If the X is that much better just in screen quality alone, oh boy!

One thing that everyone who doesn't know the size specs on these phones should understand is that the photo of the 4 represented phones should not be used as a comparison. They've obviously scaled down the photos of the X and the Evo so they appear equal in overall size to the iPhone and the Inc.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

This article says the Droid X uses the same screen tech as the EVO. However, I thought the X had an IPS screen while the EVO clearly does not. Oh well, guess I'll just have to confirm in person.

Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    This article says the Droid X uses the same screen tech as the EVO. However, I thought the X had an IPS screen while the EVO clearly does not. Oh well, guess I'll just have to confirm in person.
    This was a good article. You have to wonder though........what type of stepping stones will be uncovered in screen resolution technology in 20years from now.

I own an iPhone 4 and HTC Incredible. I agree that the iPhone 4 screen is better than the Incredible's, and having seen the Evo, agree that the Apple product trumps that too when it comes to screen quality.

The iPhone is a joy to use when it comes to look and feel.

I have pre-ordered the X to replace my Incredible and hope that the user experience is much better. As an overall phone, I still prefer an Android-based device.