1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Getting use to the size of the X

Well, this might sound a little anal but I found it very helpful and thought I would share. I took a piece of 1/2 inch plywood (which, if you have worked with wood, you will know is less than 1/2 inch) and cut it to 5 by 2.6 inches. This is the size I believe for the X. It has been in my pocket for a few days and it really seems to take less room than the curve in the Bodyglove. I do think it is very big when I remove it from my pocket but that is because it is larger than other cell phones. Personally I feel that manufactures worked so hard to decrease the size for so long and now customers are asking for larger screens. Think about the first cell phones and their size compared to the X. Anyway, can't wait until I can get a real one in my hands.

Actually, it's not as anal as you think. Manufacturers typically make dummy models during the design phase to test the feel and weight in the hand. Then they trim a bit here and round a bit there until it feels right.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Sangiovese View Post
    Actually, it's not as anal as you think. Manufacturers typically make dummy models during the design phase to test the feel and weight in the hand. Then they trim a bit here and round a bit there until it feels right.
    Ditto. I am interning at an engineering design firm and we make alot of foam mockups of units before we prototype them to make sure they are "aesthetically pleasing." It's something that must be done for any consumer products really.
    Galaxy Nexus ^_^

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

The original series Samsung BlackJack SGH-i607 has been hauled around in my front khakis pocket for the past 4 years or so. Practically the same dimensions, the Droid X will just add an extra 1/2 inch to it. Not a problem. Big upgrade.

I don't think I'll have a problem with the size. My first smartphone was the samsung i700. 5.2 x 2.76 x 0.64 and it wasn't nearly as sleek, nor did it have such a huge/nice screen...still loved it though and it imparted the smartphone bug.

Default Re: Getting use to the size of the X

I have big hands - and you know what they say about people with big hands.... (they like big phones)

Sent from my Droid
    DROID!!!

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by changefromBB View Post
    I do think it is very big
    thats what she said.

You will get used to the size quickly. I came from a BlackBerry Tour to an EVO and the size was overwhelming for the first minute but then it felt glorious. I am still amazed at the screen. I have a skin in it which makes it feel bigger, but I feels so good in my hand. Go for the Droid X. You won't be sorry.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

I got to play with a Droid X dummy at my local VZW store this morning. Hopefully the final product will be as nice.

It's almost identical in size to my iPhone 3GS in the Otterbox Defender case. Pretty much the exact same width, length and height. My Otterbox is much thicker than the Droid X though - even the camera hump on the X is much less obtrusive than the pics would lead one to believe.

I plan to be at the VZW store the morning of the 15th to buy 2 X's for my wife and I and 2 regular phones for my dad and mother-in-law and ATT can kiss my rear end - $495 in ETF's or not.

The Droid X is more slender than I would like but overall......I think a big phone is a plus to the development of smartphones. Remember smaller isn't always better when it comes to cell phones cosmetically. Keep in mind also that smaller devices like the HTC Incredible is more likely to be dropped, than a big heafty Droid X. In this case Bigger would be Better.
    Junkie

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    ROM
    Synergy Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    You will get used to the size quickly....the size was overwhelming for the first minute but then it felt glorious...... I have a skin in it which makes it feel bigger, but I feels so good in my hand.

That's what she said.....lmao
    Last edited by TallyHo; 07-06-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: sorry.....couldn't resist.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
    That's what she said.....lmao
    Omg, thats great!
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.

Quote Originally Posted by crunkman989 View Post
    The Droid X is more slender than I would like but overall......I think a big phone is a plus to the development of smartphones. Remember smaller isn't always better when it comes to cell phones cosmetically. Keep in mind also that smaller devices like the HTC Incredible is more likely to be dropped, than a big heafty Droid X. In this case Bigger would be Better.
    After having my EVO for a couple of works, it doesn't seem that big anymore. When I first bought it I thought it was almost too big. But now it seen to be just right. I couldn't imagine looking at content on a small screen anymore. I didn't realize how accustomed to the screen I had gotten into I picked up my wife's BlackBerry. The screen on the BBQ'D looked so small

Having it in hand, it's the only thing I can say was a dramatic shift in thought.. "holy crap this phone is huge", but when you see the gorgeous screen displayed doing it's work, you think wow, my Droid Incredible was a piece of *(it.. no joke, I've gone from Droid, to Palm Pre, to Incredible, to this.. and no comparison, seriously if Verizon has the iPhone in January, I could care less..
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

That's kind of how I felt with the EVO. Once I got used to the size, it was really hard looking at the Incredible's screen again. I'm sure after some time with the X, I will feel the same way.