1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Skype On Droid X

Does anyone know if the Skype app on the Droid X can be used when your WiFi radio is on? I'm not concerned about placing VOiP calls (although it would be a nice plus) or Skype using the WiFi radio instead of the 3G radio. On my Droid Incredible when you have Skype running and you switch your WiFi radio on, when you switch Skype back to the foreground you get a message that gives you a choice of either turning off your WiFi radio or exiting the Skype application. Sooooooo darn annoying.

Note: Here is the exact message you get on the Droid Incredible: "Skype mobile does not currently work on WiFi and requires switching to a Verizon Wireless data network connection. This may affect other apps using a WiFi connection."
    Choices:
    - Turn off Wifi
    - Exit

If the Droid X does not have this issue I am sooooo on board!!!!!!

Droid X in hand, it does not work via WiFi, only 3G.. warning comes up at launch that it will disconnect WiFi to launch.. sorry.. works great though..
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I wonder why they did that?

Not sure.. why would they care.. but don't quote me the skype mobile usage isn't counted against your data.. Verizon has an exclusive deal with Skype, that why there pushing it to business owners like me.. so we buy skype corporate version..

You're correct, Skype Mobile is not counted against your minutes/data (assuming you are calling other Skype users).
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Man this is so gay. I guess I will stick with my Droid Incredible then... Especially since I can get it rooted now and install the new Vanilla Froyo build off of ROM Manager... Gotta love it! :-)
    LR7

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    I wonder why they did that?
    Its a deal with Skype. If you call a landline via Skype over 3G, you will get charged Data/Minutes. Verizon wants to make those $$$. For the longest time Big Red wouldn't even enable WiFi on phones that had the technology...

Quote Originally Posted by macsmister View Post
    Man this is so gay. I guess I will stick with my Droid Incredible then... Especially since I can get it rooted now and install the new Vanilla Froyo build off of ROM Manager... Gotta love it! :-)
    Isn't this a VZ restriction. How would using the Increadible help?
    LR7

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exempli_gratia View Post
    Isn't this a VZ restriction. How would using the Increadible help?
    ^This. you are not going to escape Big Red homie.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

The problem is that Skype on Verizon Phones isn't using SIP as far as I'm aware. On my blackberry, it dials some number when I try to make a skype call to a PC user. This is both why it is limited to Verizon only (they own the server that's hosting the voice->skype service) and why it doesn't work over WIFI. At least that's my understanding.

Default Re: Skype On Droid X

Sorry not sure if I am doing this correct or not. But I'm curious if anyone knows if Skype will work from a Droid X to a Droid Global phone? I have never tried but am curious.