Droid X - And have you discovered - DLNA? - Share your stuff man!!

jrmuller

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
K.. Droid X in hand? Check your apps for DNLA, the app that allows you to share your music, photos, and videos, with other droid users, and DNLA devices.. like windows media player PCs, DNLA network storage devices, allows you to play your content on TV via an XBox, or any other DNLA enabled device on the same Wifi network.

My co-worker and I just swapped back and forth about 20-30 .mp3s over a shared wifi connection in just a few minutes.. It's the greatest app ever and one you'll never see on an iPhone... I can see his library of stuff on his phone and he can see mine, and 1 click "Transfer to my Phone".

I've got the wireless router.. or Starbucks does.. who wants to meet up for a Droid X party, and swap some tunes??

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds great. Have you had an opportunity to try to send video from your DX via DLNA to a laptop or PC, or other DLNA server?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yea.. works great.. I use a synology NAS, and it sent a test video to it no issues..

Interesting, I have a Synology 106e, attached to my wireless router, that I use for daily backups. Most reliable computer product ever made. I boot it once or twice a year, just for practice. I don't have any idea if it is DLNA capable, but I'll check it out.

jrmuller

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, I have a Synology 106e, attached to my wireless router, that I use for daily backups. Most reliable computer product ever made. I boot it once or twice a year, just for practice. I don't have any idea if it is DLNA capable, but I'll check it out.

It is as long as you updated the firmware for it.. and check the option on..

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't even considered it as a way to share files between devices, that's completely wicked! Technically you can already do this with Bluetooth ( I think) but this adds a whole extra level of convenience.

jrmuller

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh yea it rocks..

It's great, as simple as clicking on the songs in the persons library, and since your on the same wifi network, the download of a track takes just seconds.. Seriously need to have some droid media meetups.. LOL

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hm sounds cool in theory I wonder how much I'll actually end up using it...kind of like bump.

Same here. For as much technology I have in my house, I can't think of anything I have that supports this. It sounds really cool though. Definitely something I'm going to read up on some more.

jrmuller

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yea.. you can share not just music, but pictures and videos as well.. full length dvd over wifi transfered in about 4-5 minutes to the device.

jrmuller

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh one more thing if you have the Western Digital HD devices for streaming media to your TV they are detected by the Droid X, and will play all your phone content on them. In my setup I also have a synology cube station (NAS) that is dnla compatible, with my phone I can say play song whatever, or movie whatever from my NAS, and display it on the TV via the Western Digital HD, or play it straight on my phone.. all from the DNLA interface on the X. The best thing I've found is also to make any PC compatible with the Droid X DNLA, download an install "TVersity" on your PC, it will allow you to share back and forth content via WiFi without using USB for Music, Pictures, and Video.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I've got a DLNA media server in my basement that streams to my PCs (using XBMC on the PC) and to my TVs using an XBox 360. Not only do I store all my DVDs on my hard drive, but I also use PlayOn which streams Hulu, NetFlix, and a bunch of others. I don't subscribe to cable anymore thanks to PlayOn.

DLNA is great for local shares, but you can also check out Orb which will let you stream your stuff over the Internet to your phone. The only thing I use my media card for is when I'm on a plane. :cool:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh one more thing if you have the Western Digital HD devices for streaming media to your TV they are detected by the Droid X, and will play all your phone content on them. In my setup I also have a synology cube station (NAS) that is dnla compatible, with my phone I can say play song whatever, or movie whatever from my NAS, and display it on the TV via the Western Digital HD, or play it straight on my phone.. all from the DNLA interface on the X. The best thing I've found is also to make any PC compatible with the Droid X DNLA, download an install "TVersity" on your PC, it will allow you to share back and forth content via WiFi without using USB for Music, Pictures, and Video.

This is good to know. I know what I'll be buying this weekend :)

jrmuller

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got a DLNA media server in my basement that streams to my PCs (using XBMC on the PC) and to my TVs using an XBox 360. Not only do I store all my DVDs on my hard drive, but I also use PlayOn which streams Hulu, NetFlix, and a bunch of others. I don't subscribe to cable anymore thanks to PlayOn.

DLNA is great for local shares, but you can also check out Orb which will let you stream your stuff over the Internet to your phone. The only thing I use my media card for is when I'm on a plane. :cool:

Yea.. this device will be nirvana for you..

jackard

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been using DLNA for a while but cannot seem to play any avi files using the DX. It connects to a NAS running Twonky and PlayOn but always "The media file cannot be played." I can play the file if it is on my sd card but not across the network. Has anyone been able to play any files?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had trouble with AVI and WMV files, I suspect it may have something to do with one of the internal encodings (I use 5.1 audio in my WMVs, many of my AVIs have it as well). I'll experiment a bit more, but luckily I've got DVDFab so converting all my stuff should be easy (if lengthy).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay