Droid X has officially launched!

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up, when you get your X, you can download an app called beautiful widgets. It's just as pretty as the weather widget on Sense (except none of the animations on the homescreen) and is more customizable too. It's what I use and I love it. I'll love it even more when it's on MY NEW DX!!!

Thanks Preme. Figuring out what apps are the "one to have" with Android will be a new adventure for me. I have been struggling with the Blackberry App World trying to find decent apps. The problem with the BB was a lack of available memory on the Storm 1, so you had to pick and choose a handful of apps very carefully....otherwise you'd run out of memory on the phone. I'm not going to miss that!!!

tombbonb

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from my local Verizon store after getting the sales rep to let me play with their soon-to-be demonstration model, she asked the manager if she could get it out from the back room. I have to say that it felt very nice in my hand and appeared to be of good quality and balanced. I felt the Incredible was more like a toy in comparsion. I also got to slide it into my shirt and pants pocket, as it wasn’t tethered yet, and I didn’t feel that it was as big as everyone is making it out to be. I think that a lot of people are going to get so used to the feel and screen size that anything smaller will be too small. I was also interested in how white the web sites appeared compared to the original Moto Droid and the Incredible. Damn eyesight anyways! The X appears to be right in the middle, the original Droid is very white, and the Incredible is noticeably gray. Something to ponder. Lastly, I could not say that the X felt more responsive than the Incredible, at times it didn’t feel as smooth. Froyo 2.2 hopefully will give it a boost next month. Hope this helps answer some questions. I plan to have my own in my hands by the start of launch day.

Last edited:

bc6droid

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I got to play with an X yesterday, I have to say it was pretty cool and cant wait to have mine. Im going to head downtown run some errands and purposely swing by a VZ store to check it out again. Im hoping to see if they have any accessories for the X, the other store didnt have any so I wont hold my breath. Once you touch the X, you'll get bitten by the bug lol.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm spending the next 6 days, reading, watching vids, comparing, reading here. reading owner's manual.
LOL
Sending my text msgs I want to keep to my gmail.
moving outta my env touch I guess.
I don't think I got this prepared for our first kid.
There has to be a support group for us 'xers'. lol
OH wait, this must be it.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
so is everyone here going to buy in store or online? i keep going back and forth and cant deciede if i want the instant rebate or the privelage of paying $100.00 more to have the phone in my hands a day earlier.

if i buy in store, i just want to get my phone and activate on my own. i havent purchased in store in a long time, will they simply let you buy the phone and allow you to take it out w/o them opening it and trying to activate it for you?

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
so is everyone here going to buy in store or online? i keep going back and forth and cant deciede if i want the instant rebate or the privelage of paying $100.00 more to have the phone in my hands a day earlier.

if i buy in store, i just want to get my phone and activate on my own. i havent purchased in store in a long time, will they simply let you buy the phone and allow you to take it out w/o them opening it and trying to activate it for you?

It's iffy. Some stores won't give you the discount price if you do that, so it's a little hit or miss. But if all they do is activate it, i don't see any problem personally. Just tell them not to transfer or put on any data if that's your preference.

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm fourth in line at the Verizon wireless store in East providence, Rhode Island!!! CSR said she will be calling me on the 14th to let me know that the phones are there and that I can come pick mine up on the 15th during normal business hours.

Matt Kline

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one coming over from iPhone? I have read this whole thread and have noticed everyone is coming from BB.

Also, for those looking for push from a Yahoo account, If you buy Yahoo Mail Plus ($20) you will get IMAP support. Someone mentioned that IMAP will be pushed on the DX.

As far as only 6 days left! I feel like a damn kid on Christmas Eve, how the hell am I supposed to wait that long? I can't wait to get rid of this iPhone, and I am a mac freak. I just like to make calls.

tobearms

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming over from iPhone too. Had the iPhone 4 in my hands for two days before returning it because...well, it didn't make phone calls. yeah...

SUPER excited about the Droid X. I have been playing my boyfriend's Droid (no, thats not code for something else) and LOVE IT. Definitely looking forward to learning the differences.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Bummed here. Spoke with local store today..they said they just found out they wouldn't be getting there's till the 19th. Then I called VZW main # and they said could only start ordering them online on 15th.
(stay awake and order at midnite? YAWN!)
I was hoping the local store, which is really big, would have em on the 15th. Course, that might change...
xteasers. :p

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It's killing me! & my local store not only didn't have a demo unit, but they were REALLY rude when I went in there. I might have to find a different store to go to on launch day.

Tanker57

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I am also a BB user. I have a Tour and i love it. But i got a Samsung Moment as a work phone and thought Android was interesting. As far as programs go i would try IM+. I used on BB but it is expensive ($40) but well developed. Shape Services created an Android version and its only $5 right now. It's unlimited updates for life so if you plan to stick with Android or want to get a program on the ground floor here is your chance.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It's killing me! & my local store not only didn't have a demo unit, but they were REALLY rude when I went in there. I might have to find a different store to go to on launch day.

Yeah, what's up with that Cory?! :confused: My store wasn't rude, but just wouldn't let me see/hold the X. The guy approaches me as I walked in and I asked to see one, very nice, not rude, and he was like "Let me see." He came back and was like "My hands are tied. We have one, but my manager won't let it come out from behind the desk." Why tell me you have one and not let a prospective customer see it in action? Irks me to no end! :mad:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I actually went in just to ask if they had a demo unit I could look at. Upon entering the store I was immediately greeted by the manager. I smiled at him and asked how he was doing. He didn't answer, so then I asked him if he had a Droid X I could look at. He responded saying even if they had one he wouldn't show it to me. Then I asked about making an appointment the day they go on sale, he interrupted me and said no Verizon store does that. He was just abrasive, rude, and didn't even smile.

Contrast that with Apple store employees cheering their customers, handing out Jamba Juice's and oatmeals, smiling, and acting excited that you're in their store, it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh well, it's one guy out of a million. I'm just going to forget about it, and keep counting down the days. Seeing it early would have spoiled the surprise anyway ;)

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
There ya go, that's the spirit! I just wanted to hold one and see if it felt good in my hand (That's what she said.......yeah just getting that out of the way). I should have walked over to the guy this host/greeter asked and asked him why he wouldn't at least let me hold it? It's not like I wanted to take it home with me or anything. And I also asked him if he did have one if it would be possible to show me some of it's features. I guess if he couldn't show it to me, that was out of the question before I even got started. 5 more days to go!!

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I can't wait personally, its going to take the place of my regular PC, due to a toasted set of chips.... whenever my PC gets hot its locks up....so i use it on top of an AC vent. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae