Droid X Docs/FAQ's/Known Issues - Updated 7/27 - Please Read Before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The following are frequently asked questions within the Droid X forum. This page will be updated frequently, and suggestions are welcomed. Please PM an Admin or a Mod if you have a suggestion or would like to add additional content.

Documentation:

1. User Guide.

2. Interactive How To Simulators.

3. There's also a program on the X called Help Center. If you open it, you will see several options, including:

• Guided Tours
  • Tips & tricks
  • User Guide
  • FAQ's
4. Email Setup Guide.

5. Exporting/Importing contacts from Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Palm and other devices into Android.

6. Android Central's How-To Articles.

7. Discuss Accessories Here.

Popular Discussions:

1. Taks Managers.

2. Tethering.

3. Wallpapers, Ringtones, and Themes.

4. Hi, I'm a BB convert.

5. Best apps.

6. Write/read reviews.

7. Performing a backup.

8. If I exchange/replace my Droid for a new one, will everything be transferred over?

9. Favorite Music Apps.

10. Sync with iTunes via WiFi.

11. Other iTunes synching methods.

12. Where to store custom notification sounds & ringtones.

13. Questions about the battery tab.

14. Converting movies using DVD Catalyst (Original Droid settings also apply to X) or Handbrake.

15. Read this & watch this before you pull the battery out.

16. Removing pre-installed apps/bloatware.

17. Stop browser from opening to Verizon site when connecting X to your computer.

Known/Common Issues:

1. Speaker Volume.

2. Exchange Email Configuration.

3. WiFi Woes.

4. Performance.

5. Mac synchronization: If your Mac does not detect the Droid X via a USB cable, leave it plugged into your Mac, and reboot the X. When it boots up, you should now see the 4 options in the notification bar - dependent on what you want to do. Select USB Mass Storage Mode if you want to browse the SD card contents from the Mac.

6. Random reboots.

7. The notification panel does not display a new message icon when new mail is received via an Exchange 2003 account.

8. Missing Android emoticons.

If you do not see an answer to your question above, please use the SEARCH feature of the forums, to look for a solution, before starting a new thread.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Droid X Forum FAQ's (in Development).

Official Pre Release Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What are the camera and video capture offerings on DROID X?

A: DROID X features a fully loaded 8 megapixel camera capable of 1/1000 second shutter speed, auto-focus, dual LED flash, face detection, image stabilization and an easy panoramic mode. The 720p camcorder records HD video, as well as both slow and fast motion effect capture. Plus, it includes three directional microphones with Audio Scene selection for outstanding quality sound on your videos.

Q: How do you share content from DROID X?

A: DROID X makes sharing content easy via optional HDMI cable or wirelessly using integrated Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) technology. Users can stream, store and share content with multiple DLNA compatible devices such as HDTVs, game consoles or PCs. DROID X also lets users post content through networks such as YouTube™ and Facebook? easily via an optional social messaging widget as well as through MMS, e-mail and Wi-Fi.

Q: What version of Android™ is DROID X built on?

A: DROID X will ship with Android 2.1 and consumers can expect to receive an upgrade to Android 2.2 in late summer via an over-the-air upgrade. We work closely with Google™ and our carrier partners to ensure a seamless device experience. Android 2.2 and Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Beta were announced in May, and DROID X will receive an over-the-air upgrade to Android 2.2 late this summer, once we have fully tested it to ensure an optimized experience.

Q: What’s the processing speed?

A: DROID X is powered by a TI OMAP 1 GHz processor. Coupled with Verizon Wireless’ 3G network, the nation’s largest and most reliable wireless voice and data network, customers can expect to receive all of their content quickly and reliably.

Q: How many devices can connect to the 3G Mobile HotSpot?

A: The 3G Mobile HotSpot on DROID X allows you to share your 3G wireless connection with up to five other Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including PCs, game consoles and more.

Q: How can I maximize battery life?

A: DROID X comes equipped with a built-in battery manager that allows you to manage the device with pre-selected and customizable usage profiles to obtain maximum battery life.

Q: How much built-in internal memory does it have?

A: DROID X comes with 8 GB onboard and a 16 GB memory card. It also has the option to expand memory up to 40 GB – via use of an optional 32 GB microSD card – for even more music, videos and content. For a limited time, Verizon Wireless will be the exclusive carrier for the SanDisk 32 GB microSD™ card with the launch of the DROID X.

Q: Are there any pre-loaded apps?

A: DROID X ships with a host of exclusive to Verizon Wireless apps, including NFL Mobile, V CAST Video and BLOCKBUSTER On Demand? presented by V CAST. Since this is an Android phone, customers also have access to a full suite of Google Mobile Services, including Android Market™, Google Maps™ with Street View, Google Latitude, a YouTube widget, Calendar, Google Search™ by Voice, and, of course, Gmail™ and Google Search™. DROID X also features an optional widget that will aggregate updates from Facebook, Twitter and MySpace and integrate friends into merged contact lists. Skype mobile™ also comes pre-loaded on the device.

Q: Does DROID X support corporate e-mail and calendars? How often is e-mail updated?

A: Yes, DROID X features push for Gmail and corporate e-mail. It will sync with work e-mail, contacts and calendar. DROID X also integrates work and personal e-mail accounts into one unified inbox, plus it will combine your Exchange and Google Calendars as well. All other e-mail services are set manually with the most frequent option updating every five minutes.

Q: What corporate security features are available to Droid X users?

A: DROID X gives corporate information technology administrators remote password control via the Exchange server and the ability to wipe the device remotely should a user lose or misplace the device.

Q: Does the touch screen use capacitive touch or resistive? Is pinch-to-zoom support available?

A: DROID X features a capacitive touch screen. DROID X also features multi-touch, which includes pinch-to-zoom support, image rotation and keypad capabilities (i.e., the ability to touch two keys when entering text).

Q: What accessories are available for DROID X?

A: Verizon Wireless will offer a wide array of accessories, including a number of gel covers, a car mount that changes the DROID X into a personal navigation system, and a multimedia dock that allows customers to share personal HD content on a larger screen while it charges. When using the multimedia dock, customers can also transform DROID X in to an alarm clock, check the local weather or read e-mail, all while charging the device. DROID X also offers the added ability to customize the widget area so that favorite apps are quickly and easily accessible while using the dock.

Q: How much will the DROID X cost?

A: The DROID X will cost $199.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the mail-in rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.

Q: What service plans are associated with the DROID X?

A: In addition to subscribing to a Nationwide Talk plan or a Nationwide Talk & Text plan, customers will also need to subscribe to an Email and Web for Smartphone plan. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. An Email and Web Smartphone plan is $29.99 for unlimited monthly access.

Q: What service plan is associated with the Mobile HotSpot?

A: Customers can add the 3G Mobile HotSpot to their Email and Web Smartphone plan for $20 for 2 GB.

Q: Will Verizon Wireless offer any special deals for existing customers who may want to get this phone, even if they have not fulfilled the commitment of their contracts?

A: Customers whose contracts expire this year may upgrade to the DROID X and pay the new contract, after rebate price of $199.99. They will need to sign a new two-year customer agreement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnly

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Overview:

0001Ul.jpg

Reactions: Johnly

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a HUGE Mac guy and made the leap from an iPhone 3G to the Droid X.

Some tips:

1) Sync your iCal with Google Calendar (very simple to do) and you can update your calendar: on the web, from iCal, and on the phone. Changes are close to instantaneous for these changes.

2) Enable Address Book to sync with Gmail. Again, simple - check the box in Address Book's settings and put in your gmail info and it will sync. Then make sure the phone syncs with Gmail for contacts and your stuff will be there.

3) Get iSyncr for $2.99 from the Market. That will get iTunes stuff to the phone. It's simple and better than Doubletwist. I tried Doubletwist and it's a POS - doesn't integrate with iTunes playlists (must keep them in both places), slow, and just seems not good.

4) E-mail. IMAP on the DX is broken as it won't delete mails on the server from the Handset. HUGE mistake. Download K9 or MailDroid and use that. With IMAP your e-mail is synced from computer to server and things you read on the phone will show as read on your computer, things deleted will get deleted, etc. Most IMAP Servers will let you get your email instantly like a Blackberry.

#'s 1-3 are easy, #4 depends on your e-mail provider as not all support IMAP. But this has been working out great for me. I tried Missing Sync and while it was OK, it was not good and I wanted to stick with things "in the cloud" so I could update anywhere and have it sync to my phone.

So far it's been a learning curve but I finally disconnected my iPhone Sunday and I'm married to this thing for the next 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.