Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Exclamation Please Read: Important Information Regarding Task Killers

Without a doubt, this is one of the most discussed topics in the Android Central forums. Understandably, having come from various other Smartphone platforms (Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc.), where task management is crucial for optimal performance and battery life, most new Android Smartphone owners have 2 basic questions:

1.) Should I use a task manager?
    2.) Which application does the best job at task management?

After digging and digging for answers to these questions, users sometimes end up frustrated and confused by conflicting information from a wide variety of sources. This usually results in a new thread on task management.

To help answer these questions (and avoid all those duplicate threads), Android Central's contributing writer and technical guru, Jerry Hildenbrand, has written this article. Please take a few minutes to read and educate yourself.

If you do choose to use a task manager, and your Droid X starts acting wonky, please uninstall the task manager to see if the problem goes away.

If you still have questions, or if you'd like to chime in with your own opinion and/or experiences with task managers, please post in this thread.

Cory
    Last edited by Cory Streater; 07-08-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    Thanked by 6:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

i completely concur that this article is a very important read, as i know a lot of verizon reps that will straight install a task killer (usually advanced task killer aka ATK) on new phones for customers, but dont explain how the app works/the proper way to use it, because in fairness, they probably dont know how to use the app themselves.

i think the most important point to stress is that you should not use task killers to manage your phone's memory. the OS does that for you.

ROM
    Stock

Doesnt the DX come with Task Killer installed?
    Galaxy Nexus ^_^
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ceriem View Post
    Doesnt the DX come with Task Killer installed?
    No, but unfortunately you see a lot of reviewers installing them for the purpose of doing their speed comparison demos. So maybe that's what led you to believe there was one preinstalled.

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

This is a great thread. Coming from a Storm, i've become very accustomed to closing out apps once i'm done with them. So when I think about having to install a task killer just to close something I get a little confused. I would love to see some educated viewpoints on the matter.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Thanks for the great thread Cory, I'm used to windows mobile task killer, I used to kill apps on my Q 9c all the time, anyone know a good Android Task killer for those worst case scenarios.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

It seems like ATK (Advanced Task Killer) is among the most popular. If you check out the apps forum there's a few threads devoted to Task Killers. The article I hyperlinked in my first post also demonstrates the use of ATK.
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,519 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

And verizon and best buy tell you to install a task killer. I just sit there and shake my head and laugh

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MolecularGraph View Post
    ...I'm used to windows mobile task killer...
    Yup, me too.

Thanks for the post and recommendation - I have ATK queued up with the other 'essential' apps at AppBrain ready for the 15th. (Yes I'll be buying/donating to the devs as well <grin>).

Whoa, this is so beyond me..... I guess I will have to read more up on this!! I have a BB Curve and I just never downloaded much on it cause well RIM apps are a PITA IMO so yeah!!! I have a bunch on my ipod touch so I imagine i will get a bunch for the X too! YIKES!
    X to Rezound to Galaxy S3

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by didiwags View Post
    Whoa, this is so beyond me..... I guess I will have to read more up on this!! I have a BB Curve and I just never downloaded much on it cause well RIM apps are a PITA IMO so yeah!!! I have a bunch on my ipod touch so I imagine i will get a bunch for the X too! YIKES!
    I have a total of 0 extra apps on my blackberry curve, because RIM is that bad..
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.

ROM
    Stock

Thanks for the post. Most of the stuff seems pretty obvious but it's good to see and read a guide from people who know a little bit more than I do.
    Galaxy Nexus ^_^

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Definitely a good read! I see so many new people in my office making the switch to android and this is one of the most common questions I hear.

Thanks Cory. This is a great read and very helpful, especially for us newcomers to Android.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MolecularGraph View Post
    I have a total of 0 extra apps on my blackberry curve, because RIM is that bad..
    Yep...I have no extra apps on my Storm 1 and I still pull the battery 3 times a day...

2 more days, 2 more days, 2 more days...:rolleyes:

At the risk of appearing dense here over task killers............
    what was the bottom line on them?
    Use them?
    Don't?
    Use with Caution?
    Sorry,,,that's a great article, and I'm sure it's in there, but I never found a final conclusion.
    Thanks!

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    Use them?
    Don't?
    Use with Caution?
    Sorry,,,that's a great article, and I'm sure it's in there, but I never found a final conclusion.
    Thanks!
    Personally I'll just use them in dire scenarios.

well, I'm asking cause I noticed a Task Killer app on the demo I played with yesterday. Already there...
    I just didn't know if it was safe to use it or not.
    I mean I don't understand what the recommended and safe way to handle managing all the multitasking?
    Reboot occasionally?

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Well the phone is set to auto maximize RAM usage so you shouldn't need the a Task Manager app, but theres some times where you use them just to speed it up if its acting funny.

What about battery life? Ive read that task killers will help save bettery, sometimes up to 50%. Thats my real concern. Especially with a device like the DX, im not concerned about memory or lag, but battery.

Will ATK set to Autokill do anything to help battery?

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    Use them?
    Don't?
    Use with Caution?
    Thanks!
    I think the bottom line is: Don't use them if you don't know what you're doing, and if you do use them, use with caution and common sense.

That wasn't one of your answer options, but I think it sums it up nicely, heh.

BTW the article is a great read and helped shed light on this issue, myself also coming from the Blackberry world. I never understood the task killers, but now that I do, I'll be using them wisely only when I absolutely need to. :thumbsup:
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones

Quote Originally Posted by alpha752 View Post
    What about battery life? Ive read that task killers will help save bettery, sometimes up to 50%. Thats my real concern. Especially with a device like the DX, im not concerned about memory or lag, but battery.

Will ATK set to Autokill do anything to help battery?
    that's a great questions and i've been reading posts where people say ATK does help battery so, I'd like a confirmation on this as well. Battery on the X so far hasnt been stellar as I thought it would be.
    nox
    Retired Super Moderator

Global Posts
    1,370 Global Posts

If set up the right way then yeah, it could help battery life, but most people just have set to kill off a whole bunch of tasks/processes that the system need to have running.

Trust us when we say this, task killers are not needed on Android OS.
    Android has it's own 'task killer' of some sort installed and running.
    So by you killing all these tasks that are running, you're only causing you're phone more trouble and causing it to use more CPU because it'll have to run again.
    It'll be like an endless loop.

Trust me, just don't even look at the memory, you'll be perfectly fine.
    Thanked by:
    rion_j 

Default re: Please Read: Important Information Regarding Task Killers

All I will add is that since giving up task killers I absolutely do get more battery life and just not having the constant concern about it is great. I notice that most of my apps shut down within 5 min. or so if left alone.

~ Droid ~
    Thanked by:
    rion_j 

really good points....i tested this out, and removed the ATK cuz i was noticing some battery issues, and also wasn't receiving my Sessmic notifications....since removing ATK, and restarting my phone the funny thing is my battery actually went from 60% to 80%.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast