Loyal BB user leaving S1 for X

Fabian43

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have already pre-ordered my X from Best Buy and at this point I'm school girl giddy waiting for the 15th to come. It took me a few months to let the thought of leaving BB become a reality. I've managed to get all 8 of my closest friends to become BB users over the last few years, we all chat on group BBM so for that reason it's been tough thinking I'd be leaving for Android but I no longer could put up with the complacency of RIM. I really feel RIM got complacent last few years and I think that they weren't expecting Android to take off like it did. RIM was always geared towards the business user but people's tastes have changed and smartphones have become more mainstream and multimedia and convergence of content is where its at and RIM hasn't done enough to offer anything close to the iPhone and now what Android/Moto/HTC is putting out. I bought the Storm 1st week of launch thinking it was gonna be the closest thing to iPhone on Verizon, man was I wrong. Instead of selling my S1 on ebay next week I'm going to throw it against the wall and take my bat and smash it into pieces to let out all my frustration and aggression on this piece of s$%t! phone.

Part of me is sad that BB hasn't gotten it together and is just putting out the same damn phones every few months while Android and its manufacturers are putting out phones that are significantly better than the previous every few months. My preference would be to stay with BB cause of loyalty but I'm convinced that Android has so much more to offer with their marketplace, flash, and innovations?getting Motorola build quality isn't so bad either!

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Every phone related forum has dozens of the 'i'm going from RIM to ______'. The common denominator in them all is that you will miss BBM, but not enough to take away from the thousands of new apps and generally 'cooler' hardware of a new android device.

Fabian43

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to give some mad props for hanging with the S1 all this time.

I honestly feel that the S1 is the worst phone I've ever owned. Looking back it angers me that RIM and Verizon put out such a crap phone and have done nothing to S1 owners to try and make up for it. Everyone raves about Motorola's build quality. Is it really that good? I'm confident that Android will be constantly making OS better but how will the hardware hold up assuming I keep this for 1-2 years?

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm not an engineer or expert on build quality, but I can tell you that the Droid (1) felt super solid in the hand. Nothing seemed to wiggle or jiggle that shouldn't...as you know that wasn't the same with the S1. Even in reviews you will hear or read people comment on how 'solid' the X feels in the hand.

Dante8205

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am a BB god where i come from. and i too am giving up BB for the droid. yes i will miss bbm. but there is always google talk!

condr67

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Storm 2 user here who is switching. Just that little word "requesting" when using the browser was enough to make me switch. Man is that browser slow! And yes Opera Mini 5 was quicker but not quick enough. I am truly looking forward to getting my X next week.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Storm 2 user here who is switching. Just that little word "requesting" when using the browser was enough to make me switch. Man is that browser slow! And yes Opera Mini 5 was quicker but not quick enough. I am truly looking forward to getting my X next week.

seriously!!!! the browser on the S1 is so slow......it reminds me of when "www" used to stand for the World Wide Wait (as in, the dial up days.)

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
How is the battery life on the droid with google talk? If it's signed in 24x7 can I expect at least a day? The one nice thing about the BB platform is that you can leave twitter, facebook, AIM, BBM, and all that running and you can still expect a day or two out of the battery... Go ahead, throw tomatoes...

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Also coming from the S1. It was my first smartphone, so I liked it alot when I first got it. However, now that android is ahead of RIM in terms of OS, software(apps), and hardware, my S1 feels so ancient. It still does what I want it to, such as push email, but RIM is just so behind the curve that it's frustrating seeing them put out new phones that do nothing to really enhance what's already in their lineup. The browser is extremely slow, the app selection sucks; and even when I do find an app I like, I have to worry about my phone slowing down to a snail's pace because of memory leaks. All this on top of having to do at least 1 battery pull a day to keep my available memory at a reasonable level....can't wait till the 15th!!!

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

word!

I am an S2 owner and have owned BBs for years. I'll have to say I am a fan of surepress (S2 not S1) and will definitely miss it at first (especially while web browsing). I'll miss BBM, but I can get over that. Not much difference in just sending a text anyway.

After playing with a Droid Inc at Verizon a few weeks ago, i made up my mind I was switching to Android. Just wasn't sure when to pull the trigger. The Droid X seems to be a great place to start.

Looking forward to the 15th and the big move to Android.

bkleman

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm a current Storm 1 owner, got one on launch day as soon as the store opened. Now on my third Storm (one died within 24 hours of getting it as well).

I can't wait to finally be rid of BlackBerry and into Android.

Excited for the Droid X!!!

Droid_Elmo

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I do believe that current storm 1 owners such as myself have been waiting and dreaming of somthing like the droid x to be a bb. That is just not the case. The S2 came out and many S1 folks jumped ship but were still unhappy. RIM really needs to get there act together. They have a great idea but it is not being implemented correctly. Maybe someday those of us who have loved BB can go back. But until that day I plan on enjoying my new found freedom in a droid x. Can't wait for next week.

mnor

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I also received the S1 on release date. My NE2 was coming up and started looking at the S2. But also started looking at other phone available. Played the the HTC EVO and loved it. Was getting ready to made the move when Verizon came out with the X. With my NE2 that sealed the deal..... goodbye S1-2....put down my deposit for an X next week.

Droid R5-D4

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Unless I'm lucky enough to be one of the 19 people left to win a droid X in the scavenger hunt, I have to wait until January to upgrade :( but, I'm definitely ready to ditch the 8330 and move on...

And by January, the Droid X could be obsolete!

chuch13

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
word!

I am an S2 owner and have owned BBs for years. I'll have to say I am a fan of surepress (S2 not S1) and will definitely miss it at first (especially while web browsing). I'll miss BBM, but I can get over that. Not much difference in just sending a text anyway.

After playing with a Droid Inc at Verizon a few weeks ago, i made up my mind I was switching to Android. Just wasn't sure when to pull the trigger. The Droid X seems to be a great place to start.

Looking forward to the 15th and the big move to Android.

I'm in the EXACT same boat. But last night I downloaded Google Talk and it's exactly like BBM. Already converted all my BBM friends...check it out...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon