Backing up the X?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Will there be a way to backup this device? All settings, files, etc? Is there an app for that?
I realize that pix/vids are on the card.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm slightly confused besides a bigger screen this still android 2.1. What has work on the motorola droid evo and g1 and other android phones should work on x correct. My preferred method to backup is backup pro. And google

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Wireless has released an app called "BackupAssistant" for all smartphones (that I know of :p). I think I saw it included on the Droid X.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Perfect! Thanks Cory. I'm a major Google/Gmail fan, so that won't be a prob. That is the beauty of Google based products, eh? It's already backed up! Makes sense.
And, thanks Cory for this forum. Great support.
Mark

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That is to backup your contacts. Google will backup contacts calendars #### you name it
Verizon Wireless has released an app called "BackupAssistant" for all smartphones (that I know of :p). I think I saw it included on the Droid X.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I have to say this: there is no way to backup your applications DATA unless you're rooted or are on Froyo 2.2. It's absurd. I came from Blackberry where literally everything could be backed up. On Android, you cannot, unless you have Froyo. I had to do a factory reset once and even though all of my apps were easily re-downloaded from the market, the data in them (high scores, passwords, notepads) was all gone.

Mybackup Pro is a waste of money as it installs your apps back onto the device after a restore but does not link them to market which makes it impossible to download updates for the apps.

I even asked Phil and Jerry about this on the podcast and they said there is no way. Titanium Backup is only for rooted users and I'm sorry, I shouldn't have to root to be able to backup my apps data.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
No problem droindntn. You'll find this forum is filled with very helpful members and good people - at least that's been my experience.

In regards to Verizon's backup assistant, I would stay away from that, because on the Incredible once you signed up for the account, there was no way to get rid of it, so it was always running in the background. Not to mention it's pretty worthless when you're using Gmail anyway.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have read a number of people report they cant use a lot of the backup software's if the device isn't rooted and since the X has not been rooted yet I researched this subject more because I am accustom to backing up regularly to avoid any lost data... I figured I would share this information for anyone looking for a solution.

Support Email Sent.

Summary: Sprite Backup Android
Category: Android Backup

Paul 14/07/2010 7:40:12 a.m.
I recently considered changing to a Android device from a Windows Mobile 6.5 device but I have been instructed that your Sprite Backup application will not allow a device to be backed up with all options unless the unit has been rooted (Unlocked) and I need to know if this is true. Can you clear this information up for me before I buy the software for my device.

Thank You,

Reply.

Below is the answer to the question you recently sent to the Sprite Mobile Support Team. If this response does not answer your question please use the link to update your question so we can take another look into this incident for you.

Summary: Sprite Backup Android
Category: Android Backup

Leo 15/07/2010 9:29:30 a.m.

Thank you for contacting Sprite Software.

There are no difference between using rooted or not rooted when using Android Backup, you will have same amount of option backup.
We also have a product all Migrate which allow you to bring some of your data from Windows Mobile 6.5 device to Android Device.
For more information please visit our website

Sprite Mobile - Backup Software for Windows Mobile and Android - Trusted by over 14 million people

sorry for your inconvenience, please feel free to contact us should you encounter further problems.

Best regards,
Leo Lin
Sprite Software

Hope this is helpful information....