Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    406 Global Posts

Default Thoughts on Droid X being rootable?

I doubt the X won't be able to be rooted... It seems like that's one of the attractive features of Droid/Android. Does anybody have a good idea if it really won't be rootable?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I've been following this development forum, and it isn't looking good at the moment. It will probably be done, but it's months out, if at all.

Yea it will be a challenge but it will def get rooted... Custom roms on the other hand are more questionable. I think I might be ok with just root for this phone.

as an android noobie (the X will be my first android), can you explain the benefits of rooting?

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    as an android noobie (the X will be my first android), can you explain the benefits of rooting?
    Q i believe its like a hybird for your bb just a 1000x better

Yea not really interested in custom ROMs, however I do want the X to be rooted. And I agree it WILL get rooted, it's just time at this point. I give it a couple of months at the most.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    Check out this article, written by Jerry Hildenbrand. He does a really good job of answering that question.

The main reason I root, is so I can: install a screenshot type program & install a WiFi tethering program, both of which are not possible without root access.

I'm not big on custom ROMs personally. So this is a non issue for me - especially between the time this phone goes on sale and the time that an official Froyo release is available for download.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Swapping them all out

I might not end up rooting my X, no need to run custom roms on it.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>Verizon LG G2 and LOVIN' it.

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

Sucks, but won't effect the majority of owners
    Samsung Galaxy S3 | Jedi Invasion |

I know nothing about rooting but know the basics of what it is.

Did they purposely try to block rooting with the phone? Or is it just the way they ended up encoding everything that will make it harder?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Apparently this is the dude to follow.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Apparently this is the dude to follow.
    This guy seems to be a freaking Genius.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>Verizon LG G2 and LOVIN' it.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Yeah, he posted a link to his World Press page too.

Yea he seems like a good one to follow for the up to date info on root access

Running a Custom ROM is great, I like the speed boost and extra features you get from custom ROMs. I usually run a MoDaCo Custom ROM and if I had a Droid X the first thing i would want to do is run FroYo on it.

FroYo is worth it, I love how much faster my Nexus One is on FroYo.
    Last edited by Deathwish238; 07-10-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    ++ Main Device: Google Nexus One on T-Mobile
    ++ ROM: OxygeN1Mod 2.3.7

the thing to remember is that root and accessing the bootloader are two seperate things, while you will need root to do the latter, you can have root and not be able to flash roms still.

personally, i think i will be happy for a while so long as they can root it. with moto promising froyo fairly soon, and the droid2 rumored to be launched with it, i'll be okay with running the stock rom.

all i really want is wifi tether. i don't want to pay the $20 for the handful of times i will use it.

ROM

well the locked bootloader DOES NOT mean we wont get root. i am 100% sure this phone will get rooted ( every popular android phone has ). this phone will be basically taking over for the Motorola Droid. well i just got some contacts in Motorola the other day and i am going to try to get a unlocked bootloader if indeed the bootloader is locked on the Droid X. everyone that knows something about Motorola knows that there is always A TON of leaks when things of this nature happens. i am not going to let this ruin this phone for me because, i know 1. how good of devs we will have working on it 2. that infact it will be rooted and there will be a unlocked bootloader eventually.
    Device : Galaxy Nexus
    Build : 4.0.3 IML74K
    Kernel: 3.0.8-g490ff3

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Check out this article, written by Jerry Hildenbrand. He does a really good job of answering that question.

The main reason I root, is so I can: install a screenshot type program & install a WiFi tethering program, both of which are not possible without root access.

I'm not big on custom ROMs personally. So this is a non issue for me - especially between the time this phone goes on sale and the time that an official Froyo release is available for download.
    I am kind of in the same boat. Primarily, wifi tethering is what I want/need. So, when you say you don't use "custom roms", does that mean you opt for an "unrevoked" type of root, if available? And, if so, what do you do when an OTA update comes out that will benefit your phone?

Or, are you saying that you prefer just sticking with the "rooted" version of the stock ROM?

Thanks...

If it gets rooted, will it be a more complicated process than just dropping an update.zip onto the SD card? I'm on OSX.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by g_b_h View Post
    Or, are you saying that you prefer just sticking with the "rooted" version of the stock ROM?
    That there is what I'm saying. There are certain things that require root, but do not require a custom ROM. Screenshot apps, WiFi tethering, and AdBlock(!!!) that I really like to use. Some people like Titanium Backup, but it too requires root.

Quote Originally Posted by clockvstrain View Post
    If it gets rooted, will it be a more complicated process than just dropping an update.zip onto the SD card? I'm on OSX.
    That can't be answered yet. The original Droid was that way, but if you look at the Incredible, it's not as straightforward and carries some level of risk that isn't for everyone.
    Thanked by:
    g_b_h 
    Press ALT-F4 to see nudes

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Only thing I would want to do is when it's upgraded to Froyo 2.2 I want to be able to modify it and get Wifi Hotspot and Tethering without having to pay Verizon extra. Will that be possible with the locked bootloader?
    HTC Rezound, IPad2, and Galaxy Tab 10.1

You should only need root as I understand it.
    Thanked by:
    rinnr1 

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Cool custom ROMs are basically changing the UI and GUI stuff and being able to overclock the processor right?

Custom roms are also used to put next version OS onto your phone early. Like I have a version of 2.2 on my droid without it being officially pushed to the droid yet.
    Thanked by:
    rinnr1 

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Gotcha.. Thanks for the info
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast