Previewed a Droid X today at Verizon in northern Cincinnati
07-10-2010 04:35 PM
- Northern Cincinnati folks, if you want to check out a Droid X before the release next Thursday, the Princeton Pike store has a working unit. I was just at that store this morning and was fooling around with it for about 20 minutes. I'm a current Blackberry Curve user and never owned a touchscreen phone before or an Android device. I was blown away by this sweet piece of technology. It's much bigger (but not thicker) than my Curve but that's a GOOD thing. The screen is gorgeous. The weight and balance of the phone is just right. It feels extremely sturdy and durable and you can tell it's made out of quality products and was constucted well by Moto. The camera hump at the top is barely noticeable and to me, it gives the phone an aesthetic appeal compared to the standard slabs out there. Some people have commented that the phone lags a bit between screen transitions. I noticed no lag at all. It's FAST...fast between screens, fast between menu selections, and the browser is lightning quick. I've also read that some people have said the pinch-to-zoom feature is a bit choppy compared to the Incredible. Again, I didn't see this at all. I wished I could have dumped my Crapberry on the spot and walked out with that phone! I'm SOLD on Android and SOLD on touchscreens! Is it the 15th yet???
The other thing worth mentioning is that the agent took down my name and number and put me on a reservation list for next Thursday. He assured me that he will call me on Wednesday to confirm that I'll be coming in on Thursday to buy the phone. He promised me that one will be held for me until the close of business on Thursday. He said that only 12 or 13 people so far have put their name on a list for the DX. He didn't mention how many phones were ordered for this particular store, but he said it's doubtful that they would run out. They also won't be opening early on launch day (9AM as usual).
Attached are some pics I took of the X. Sorry for the poor quality (blame it on my Curve) and the glare. I was sitting right in front of the store window when I shot them.
07-10-2010 09:59 AM
- It's awesome that you got to play with one and were able to get your name on a list, but it's reports like this that make me irrate at my local Verizon store. Was this an authorized reseller or a corporate run store? Regardless, thanks for sharing your experience.07-10-2010 10:06 AM
- This is a premium corporate store. I doubt I'll ever deal with a reseller. The agent I talked to was very knowledgeable and talked intelligently with me about the X and all its features. Apparently these particular employees have been trained very well on the phone and all it has to offer. The funny thing is that he followed me around like a hawk while I was playing around with it. Maybe he was worried I'd run off with it if he took his eye off me! Ha!07-10-2010 10:13 AM
- Last week I had the chance to play with the X also. All I can say is SWEET!!!!!. I am currently using the storm 2 and its ok. But compared to the X it is a piece of crap. Unfortunately i am not due for an early upgrade until November. I called Verizon and spoke to a rep tried everything to get discount price no dice. But she did say to call back when it is released and mabey the will dosomething then. Probably hoping that i will pay full price but mabey, just mabey I can swing something.07-10-2010 10:41 AM
- 07-10-2010 11:04 AM
- I am not saying I agree with VZWs policies. I am just saying that is what their policy is. I think they should show the phone off. It builds the hype before they are officially available for sale.
If the store had the phone on display, then it is the store manager putting his neck on the line. Regardless, my point was that Cory shouldn't be irate with his local store just because they follow the policies put in place by Verizon.07-10-2010 11:11 AM
- 07-10-2010 11:16 AM
- This is totally off topic, and maybe I should have done better research before asking, but does anyone know if the X will be 802.11n capable? I currently don't have a WiFi network set up at home but plan on adding one after I get the X to enjoy (hopefully) faster internet speeds compared to 3G. I don't want to spend more on an N router if the X will only be compatible with G.07-10-2010 11:20 AM
- 07-10-2010 11:47 AM
- Cory, I read the post that you referred to. I see where you are coming from. Sounds like that guy doesn't want to work there and someone should put him out of his misery (fire him). I don't understand why he wouldn't want to schedule an appointment for launch day, though. He must not want to sell phones. Even if you are not eligible for renewal for a year, I would spend 30 minutes with you hoping that you would tell all your friends and family about what a great phone it is and send them to me.07-10-2010 12:48 PM
- Cory, I read the post that you referred to. I see where you are coming from. Sounds like that guy doesn't want to work there and someone should put him out of his misery (fire him). I don't understand why he wouldn't want to schedule an appointment for launch day, though. He must not want to sell phones. Even if you are not eligible for renewal for a year, I would spend 30 minutes with you hoping that you would tell all your friends and family about what a great phone it is and send them to me.07-10-2010 03:36 PM
- I just got back from Verizon. He said he had 2 or 3 X's in the store but none on display but he would go grab me one. He was the store manager and said he was the busiest store in the mid west IIRC
He did say they don't have any in stock yet. But should soon. And that the store opens at regular time but they will be in the parking lot handing out vouchers an hour before the store opens. If you want 3 phones you get 3 vouchers.07-10-2010 04:35 PM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Verizon Droid X Forums
- Motorola Droid X
Previewed a Droid X today at Verizon in northern Cincinnati
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD