Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will you be 'casing' your X?!?!

I had the Incredible for a few weeks and sent it back before my 30 days to get the X. I had a case pre-bought and instantly covered that bad boy up. However I am seeing some posts about how durable and sturdy built the X has been feeling. Incredible was a GREAT phone...but it did feel just a tiny bit fragile. I'm sort of anal about my phone being immaculate (oddly enough I don't use screen protectors though) and I am still on the fence about buying a case for this already beastly phone.

Who's doing it?? Who's not?? Who won't even let it out of the house so it can't get scratched?? I can't wait for this b!tch to drop on thursday.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

I'm not buying a case, I thought I was going to buy a bodygaurdz, but decided it would be more fun to go out and buy some vinyl and try my skills at a custom skin.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.

I never case them. I feel like it ruins the design that the creators spent so long developing. And it adds more thickness than I like in most cases. Plus I have insurance.

I'm talking about cases not zagg or Anything like that. I'm just not good at applying those
    Last edited by largeselection; 07-10-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added clarification

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Yes guys, I'll post pics up of my probably terrible skin, but it will be fun to try none the less.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

going back to my ENV touch has driven me absolutely insane...I haven't even seen one of these things in person. Already got it pre-ordered...Best Buy here I come

I have a storm 2 now and use an epik resin case. After playing with the X for at least 20 mins my answer is no. It is too cool and sexy a phone for me to case. That is if I can swing a deal on an early upgrade even earlier than I should get one. My fingers are crossed.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by largeselection View Post
    I never case them. I feel like it ruins the design that the creators spent so long developing. And it adds more thickness than I like in most cases. Plus I have insurance.

I'm talking about cases not zagg or Anything like that. I'm just not good at applying those
    Man, you and I agree on just about everything lol.

As some of you may or may not know, one of my other passions is hiking, so I will probably get one of the hardcore waterproof cases to protect it when I'm outdoors. I'll also use it for all the air travel I do as well. Aside from that, I want it to look exactly like it does when it comes out of the box.

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Change too often.

I think that those on this forum are obviously a little tech/phone crazy and probably handle their phones more cautiously than others. I have gotten in such a habit of always knowing where my phone is and what surface I'm sitting it on I don't really see the need. I usually have a death grip on it when I'm holding it too. Not that accidents don't happen, but I do baby my phones.

Plus I think largeselection has a good point...kind of hides the beauty of the design. I'm also in the same boat with the Zagg stuff; I just can't seem to get skins on properly.

After saying that I do realize some people might work in conditions that call for more protection or just have a chronic case of butter fingers.
    Semper Fi; Go Bears; Go Gators
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

I've been debating this since I pre-ordered. I think it's going to go naked and I'll just have some insurance on it but I usually use silicone cases all the time. All my BlackBerrys had silicone cases only but my droid is naked right meow so IDK yet.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

ROM
    Swapping them all out

A silicone case might actually be a good idea. But I'm still going to try making a Vinyl sleeve, just because that would look sweet.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

This could be an option for me too but I don't like added bulk. Just another option to consider though...

Amazon.com: Amzer Rubberized Snap On Case for Motorola Droid X…
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

I'm really worried about dropping my phone, and I usually would get a case, but with the X, I really want to use a Charging Cradle, and possibly a Vehicle Mount, which would be impossible with a case, so I may just take my chances with just a screen protector.

Maybe a holster would be workable, but I'll need to check them out first.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    I'm really worried about dropping my phone, and I usually would get a case, but with the X, I really want to use a Charging Cradle, and possibly a Vehicle Mount, which would be impossible with a case, so I may just take my chances with just a screen protector.

Maybe a holster would be workable, but I'll need to check them out first.
    Insurance

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Little off topic... but... how does verizons insurance policy work?

They have a couple options. The one I use is like $7 a month and it covers pretty much everything. Even if I lose it I can still file a lost claim and pay $75 to get a replacement. Totally worth it and has saved me on a bunch of occasions.

Link to the total equipment protection plan

I have 3 kids, I need to case it up! Just in case one of them gets a hold of it!!!
    X to Rezound to Galaxy S3

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by didiwags View Post
    I have 3 kids, I need to case it up! Just in case one of them gets a hold of it!!!
    Wouldn't doubt that a bit.

I'm so on the fence with this. I love the look of the phone and don't want to cover that up. Plus I want to get the car dock and charging dock which means if I did get a case, I'd have to remove it most of the time. However....I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and as careful as I try to be with my phone, they always seem to get it. They actually seem to get everything I don't want them to have. I just had to brush my hair with a Little Mermaid brush because one of the little people walked off with my brush. For that reason, I'm thinking a silicone type case may not be a bad idea.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katrina2475 View Post
    I'm so on the fence with this. I love the look of the phone and don't want to cover that up. Plus I want to get the car dock and charging dock which means if I did get a case, I'd have to remove it most of the time. However....I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and as careful as I try to be with my phone, they always seem to get it. They actually seem to get everything I don't want them to have. I just had to brush my hair with a Little Mermaid brush because one of the little people walked off with my brush. For that reason, I'm thinking a silicone type case may not be a bad idea.
    A silicone case is easy enough to slide on and off too for docking.

Quote Originally Posted by avlfive View Post
    A silicone case is easy enough to slide on and off too for docking.
    That's what I'm thinking and they are pretty cheap as well. I want to get one of the Golla bags as well. I know they are girly and kinda cheesy looking but well....I'm a girl so I can get away with it. I want to be able to just clip it on my purse or diaper bag so I don't have to put it in the "abyss" and risk scratches. Also, I like that I can wear it around my neck when I am out walking or riding my bike and be able to track my routes with an app.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

I was thinking about trying to find some kind of sleeve or something for my pocket so that it doesn't get lint or dust under the casing or in the buttons or anything. I remember that when I bought my BlackBerrys new, they came with a leather pouch but I bought my Droid used so I don't know if they ship with anything like that or not.

Seidio:

Hopefully there stuff will be out soon cuz they have nice cases and are typically not bulky. They just recently added a page for the Droid X.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

I kind of like the idea of leaving a phone naked...but that first scratch always kills me. Because of the screen size and potential to watch video, I thought about getting one of the cases that Verizon is going to be selling on launch day - the leather wrapped snap on case with a kickstand.

...I guess if there are issues with speakerphone being muffled, that would take care of it too...?

That being said, I have pre-ordered a Zagg Invisible Shield for the X because it's an awesome product and keeps my screens in perfect condition. I have applied one to my last 5 phones and some friend's phones, so I'm good at it now. Might as well slap one on and not sweat the small stuff.
    Droid X

ROM
    CM7-GB

I'll get a screen protector for sure, but I'm on the fence about a case. :P I'm crazy about protecting my phone, but I also appreciate the smaller size w/o one.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast