more info on the encrypted bootloader

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I still plan on getting a DX. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Android OS was all about freedom, open source, and the like.
It really makes no sense to me that now they want to lock it all down.......and pull a Steve Jobs on us.

What doesn't make sense? Even though Google has pushed for a more "open platform" with the Android OS, both Google and Verizon (not to mention every other major carrier and hardware manufacturer) is still in the business for profit at the end of the day.

Can you imagine how much carriers are losing in terms of added features and services with unlocked devices? There's a reason Verizon is charging an additional $20 a month for the mobile hotspot...because it's pure profit.

Just like everything else, there will always be barriers/rules/redtape no matter in business, politics, or society as a whole (woah, I'm getting to philosophical here...).

Anyways I see where both Google and Verizon are coming from, and I for one will not let this deter me from what looks to be a fantastic device. Hell, anything has to be better than my ****ing BB Storm...

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Can you imagine how much carriers are losing in terms of added features and services with unlocked devices? There's a reason Verizon is charging an additional $20 a month for the mobile hotspot...because it's pure profit.

I agree with this, but only because they limit you to 2GB per month. If it was unlimited than people would suck data like crazy and it'd be a little less than pure profit.

Unlike text messages, which are pure profit for carriers.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this, but only because they limit you to 2GB per month. If it was unlimited than people would suck data like crazy and it'd be a little less than pure profit.

Unlike text messages, which are pure profit for carriers.

Even with my Droid I use tethering for free, heck when I was in Boise we got Modern Warfare to run decently on Xbox through the tether.

It stinks that they charge, but it isn't a big surprise. Money money money

It's a great feature but unlimited for a flat rate is just a thing of tomorrow it seems

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well hearing that the droid2 has the same protection yeah I think I'm done also. Don't hold any hope of the droidpro not being locked down like crazy

The Pro will have a 2GHz processor and come with Gingerbread so rooting/custom ROMs won't matter. I'm holding off as well. The X aint worth th switch from the Droid.

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This thread is going to get moved to the encrypted bootloader thread, but yes, eventually it will be bypassed, and the 2Ghz phone is a rumor, so treat it as such, its not happening any time too soon.

The 2GHz phone is coming out this year as Motorola already confirmed it.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The 2GHz phone is coming out this year as Motorola already confirmed it.

I think the DroidX will be a great 3G phone. Will do just fine until the LTE devices start rolling out. I'll be upgrading then, so why hold off now. Then again, I have a BB Storm1, so I'm pretty anxious to get anything that doesn't lag while doing simple tasks like DIALING THE PHONE.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Realistically do we really need a 2GHz cpu or even dual core processors. My Nexus runs hot as it is, and being such a small form factor, I wonder how hot a 2Ghz would be.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Realistically do we really need a 2GHz cpu or even dual core processors. My Nexus runs hot as it is, and being such a small form factor, I wonder how hot a 2Ghz would be.

Let alone battery life. There better be a big enough battery for that....

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Can someone clarify something for me, since the Droid X is encrypted and at moment it doesn't look like the device will not be totally unlocked to soon or at all but it is reported that rooting is still a possibility, how much does this limit customizing the device other than custom roms? If a basic root is accomplished will custom theme, icons , widget be able to be loaded or is this possible without any rooting of the device or do you need Super User Rights?

From what I have read a root is kind of like installing a HSPL on a WM device which allow access to a number of thing originally restricted but to do custom roms requires that the bootloader to be unlocked, so if device gets rooted device will be unlocked for change but no ROMS can be loaded as long as bootload is locked, am I looking at this concept correct or can someone explain a bit more?

Thanks for any helpful information....

Last edited:

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Secondly, we have no idea what CPU it has in it. If it's something like the Tegra2 (which I believe is dual core, so it probably isn't), then that will be incredible. If it's just a 2Ghz snapdragon, then how do we know it'll be significantly faster than the DroidX? Obviously it'll be faster, but it won't be twice as fast as some may think going by "bigger numbers mean better performance".

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
To people who are comparing this to the Milestone you have to understand the milestone is a GSM based phone out of country iirc. So with one coming to the U.S. market big there is more of a chance for decrypting the bootloader I would assume.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Can someone clarify something for me, since the Droid X is encrypted and at moment it doesn't look like the device will not be totally unlocked to soon or at all but it is reported that rooting is still a possibility, how much does this limit customizing the device other than custom roms? If a basic root is accomplished will custom theme, icons , widget be able to be loaded or is this possible without any rooting of the device or do you need Super User Rights?

From what I have read a root is kind of like installing a HSPL on a WM device which allow access to a number of thing originally restricted but to do custom roms requires that the bootloader to be unlocked, so if device gets rooted device will be unlocked for change but no ROMS can be loaded as long as bootload is locked, am I looking at this concept correct or can someone explain a bit more?

Thanks for any helpful information....

Root is just getting administrator privileges over your phone. Unlocked bootloader allows you to flash custom roms. Different kernels. Full themes. But their may be a way to overclock the droidx using the millstone app. Just don't know if loading modules to the kernel will trigger any adverse effects. I hold out hope for this phone being hacked. Just don't think Motorola products are good enough to hold developers if this continues

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
To people who are comparing this to the Milestone you have to understand the milestone is a GSM based phone out of country iirc. So with one coming to the U.S. market big there is more of a chance for decrypting the bootloader I would assume.

Its not only decrypting the bootloader its also getting past the hardware lock that bricks your device if something other than a signed Motorola rom or kernel. In my mind that's the big thing

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Its not only decrypting the bootloader its also getting past the hardware lock that bricks your device if something other than a signed Motorola rom or kernel. In my mind that's the big thing

that will certainly make it hard to test methods...

kind of a bummer, but so long as they can get root in the near future, i'll be happy for some time.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Meh I would rather wait and see I'm happy with my Droid for now. If the fascinate launches and I can Ger it I will especially if this isn't fully cracked by then.
My whole point is why should I buy this not knowing how long it will take them to crack it. If its not cracked by November this will basically be off the map especially with the dualcore lte phones launching around that time.

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Meh I would rather wait and see I'm happy with my Droid for now. If the fascinate launches and I can Ger it I will especially if this isn't fully cracked by then.
My whole point is why should I buy this not knowing how long it will take them to crack it. If its not cracked by November this will basically be off the map especially with the dualcore lte phones launching around that time.

It's you're not your... ;)

in your sig.. lol :D

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Are they kidding!!

Rooting is what Android is!

No More Rooting

{Snip}
Various reports are indicating that both the Motorola DROID X and DROID 2 smartphones will ship with a locked and encrypted (aka digitally signed) bootloader. This will mean that owners will not have the ability to flash custom ROMS that are not officially approved and signed by Motorola. This will also put a strain on developers who sell ROOT-only apps on the Android Market.
{Snip}

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC