Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Default more info on the encrypted bootloader

Read this thread seems like trying to hack the bootloader bricks the device. So if your someone like me that likes to stay ahead of the rest with pre released roms etc I would hold off on this phone. bootloader seems to be a tough nut to crack
    Rooted for life
    Press ALT-F4 to see nudes

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Holy sh!t... nasty fail safe there
    HTC Rezound, IPad2, and Galaxy Tab 10.1

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Damn, that is wicked... In a bad way.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

Eh, i'll still get one. If i'm going to be honest with myself i'll probably never root the thing even if I could. I've never done any of the hybrids on my storm, even though they're supposed to breathe new life into the phone. I'm tech savvy enough to do it, I just don't care to.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

so sad, I think I'm done with motorola's. Looks like I'll stick to the droid, until HTC comes out with something good.

I'm passing as a result if this as well. Otherwise I'd drop my evo like a hot potato.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Well hearing that the droid2 has the same protection yeah I think I'm done also. Don't hold any hope of the droidpro not being locked down like crazy
    Rooted for life

Even from the perspective of a soon-to-be-Android newbie, I find this very troubling, assuming it is true. It's one thing to lose the ability to root the device, but quite another to innocently use a phone that is hairtrigger set to brick itself.

I can envision problems from errant apps, malware, internal glitches, or whatever that might result in a huge inconvenience and disruption in service to the individual, at the very least, assuming Motorola/Verizon will cover such damage. I really need to rethink my decision to go with the X in the next few days.

its bound to get rooted, its just going to be a challenge for the rooting community. don't get all bent out of shape. it'll happen, i give it til December before we see a decent rooting process for this
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Root is not only possible, it's highly likely. Flashing ROMs will never happen, but I personally am fine with that.

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Root is not only possible, it's highly likely. Flashing ROMs will never happen, but I personally am fine with that.
    I agree (however I wouldn't say "never" - especially if Verizon stores can reset the fuse). As for apps tripping this, any app that can emulate accessing the bootloader can probably access the bootloader. I'd rather have a brick than a zombie phone running a rootkit....
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Ug...It's one thing to encrypt the bootloader, but this does trouble me, and now I'm having second thoughts about this phone...

ROM
    Stock

Noob question:

Has the boot loader been encrypted on any previous Android device? If so, has it effected anything other than loading ROMs or rooting (like apps bricking the phone)?

Just curious to see if history can be any help here for people's worries about their phones accidentally getting bricked.
    Galaxy Nexus ^_^
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

It has been encrypted on the Motorola milestone but I haven't seen one as locked down as this. Not a good thing plus were hearing rumors the d2 has the same system. All bad in my book. And most people wont care until gingerbread rolls around. And other devices have it the x will not until carrier approved. Btw I don't see this being cracked and if it does it will be 6 months to 1 year
    ad btw only Motorola can reset the fuse and I bet it it trips your warranty is gone. All bad for the rooting community
    Rooted for life

Would this encrypted bootloader be able to be hacked with Encase or a similar program that is used by law enforcement?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Well it's not only that its encrypted its also hardware locked so if you load anything other than a MoMotorola Signed rom, or try and sbf it using the Droid method it flips a switch and bricks your device. So you may be able to get one I don't think both will be taken out any time soon
    And no the signed bootloader shouldn't effect any apps. You just wont be able to load unofficial roms have to check on the millstone overclock app. Don't know if that will allow overclock without bricking your device
    Rooted for life

The fact that the droid 2 is the same way leads me to believe that this will be the case for all future moto phones...so I guess I'll pick up the dx since theres no point in waiting for the next moto phone from a rom point of view.

oh well......I'll get the DX anyways. The only reason I ran a modded OS on my blackberry was because the stock OS was so horrible and I needed an OS that didn't suck the life out of the battery and I needed the ability to reduce all the bloatware in the stock OS because the BB Storm was so memory challenged.

With the DX, there isn't a memory issue or a battery issue...........so, I guess I'm okay with not being able to load custom ROMs onto my DX.

Finally, I really don't need to worry much about it all.........I'll probably have a new phone in another year and a half or so. Seems like that's about how long a phone lasts these days before it's totally obsolete. I wasted so many hours trying to find ways to make my BB Storm better; I am looking forward to owning a phone that makes me more porductive, rather than less.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    oh well......I'll get the DX anyways. The only reason I ran a modded OS on my blackberry was because the stock OS was so horrible and I needed an OS that didn't suck the life out of the battery and I needed the ability to reduce all the bloatware in the stock OS because the BB Storm was so memory challenged.

With the DX, there isn't a memory issue or a battery issue...........so, I guess I'm okay with not being able to load custom ROMs onto my DX.

Finally, I really don't need to worry much about it all.........I'll probably have a new phone in another year and a half or so. Seems like that's about how long a phone lasts these days before it's totally obsolete. I wasted so many hours trying to find ways to make my BB Storm better; I am looking forward to owning a phone that makes me more porductive, rather than less.
    I completely agree. Having a Tour since day one (which, mind you, just turned one today), it's sad to see that I've installed the OS at least 15 times (different official versions, betas, hybrids) and yet they all suck. Not to mention the hardware is starting to have the same issues I've had on two devices already (lines across the screen and trackball no longer clicking).

I'm not too concerned about having to worry about the bootloader because the stock Android OS and App Market has everything I could want. I'm sure there's something small that would be nice to have from a custom ROM but it's definitely not turning me away from the Droid X and to the month-delayed Droid Incredible.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

One nice thing about Moto, thus far, is that they've been pretty good about releasing updates.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

My theory on things is, things are made to be broken(cracked in this case) and I believe this will eventually be able to be done.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Well thats already been confirmed, eventually it will be broken.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.

ROM
    ICS

what i want to know is how many people saying they won't get it now signed up to win the free one from AC.com? theres like 150+ pages.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Yeah no joke, i bet theres a ton!

Trust me someone is going to figure it out real soon..

You'll see it in big print, right here on ac" saying root accsess for droid x now avaliable..

All the phones that come out on the 15th may have open platform. Those who got theres ahead of time might be locked. Motorola may not want the root access out before official launch date..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast