Leaving the Death Star

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
After ~10 years as a loyal AT&T customer, I'm leaving AT&T (2 lines and my Blackberry Bold) for Big Red and the Droid X. The reason? AT&T is vested only in the iPhone and its iSheep minions. The stripped down, plastic-feel Samsung Captivate is the last straw. They refuse to bring a Moto or HTC set that offers a parallel offering to Apple for those who actually need a real productivity device. RIMM is dead, and their new OS is clearly still behind the curve. Naturally, the iPhone is merely a toy. I even considered the Dell Streak off-contract to avoid paying the ETF on two lines but Dell obviously doesn't have a clue either (1.6 and no home-screen portrait mode?).

Clearly, I'm not AT&T's target consumer. I'll surrender my Unlimited data plan (grandfathered) and even my corporate discount to go to a carrier that offers real options for productivity devices. Regardless, Verizon has better coverage in my area.

The X will be my first experience with android, and I placed a pre-order at Best Buy on July 10th. It will also be my first phone without a QWERTY. I frequently use data and voice for work simultaneously, so I'll also have to get used to the notification messages to "Accept?" incoming call on CDMA. I'm praying I can still read documents offline with calls on speakerphone. In short, its going to be a massive period of adjustment. I hope that Verizon's LTE will bring simultaneous usage for the next generation of android phones.

For those who went from Blackberry to Droid/HTC (or similar) and how tough was it to adapt to the android OS?

Any suggestions or hard-lessons learned (plans, etc.) for this Verizon newbie? I'm planning on the unlimited family text/voice plan, Total insurance protection on the primary line, unlimited data, and the $20 monthly fee for Droid X's Mobile modem ability.

Has Verizon confirmed the difference in price on the Droid X for 1 vs. 2 year contract? If its a marginal increase 1 yr. may make more sense.

Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
The transition from BB to Android is not too difficult. There are things done a little differently which can be defined as easier or harder depending on who you ask. The amount of customizations will blow you away while the email aspect may leave you wanting more. I'm not a big email guy so having a synchronized inbox wasn't a big factor for me.

As far as pricing of the contract I'm not sure. You might wanna check the verizon website. Its available for pre-order so prices should be there. A 2 yr contract after MIR is 199. My GUESS for a 1 yr would be 370.

Trust me, the general overwhleming consensus is that Android is a huge step up from BB. You won't be dissapointed.

Edit: meant to say 'not' too difficult

Last edited:

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I've heard rumblings of a One year contract for the phone running $369.99, but do not quote me on that, as I only plan on the two year contract.

Also, welcome to the DARK SIDE :D

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for both replies. Sounds like it will be in the $350 range on 1 yr. which makes the 2 year more attractive since I am a heavy plan user... I'll check online and post if I find anything.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to read items offline while on a call. Maybe not a Gmail message, but if you have something open on the browser that has finished loading, then you should not have any problems.

Oh, and congrats on leaving AT&T and BB! I ditched AT&T about a year ago and BB a few months ago and haven't missed anything. I just wish I could get the cable company to commit to coming when they say they will so I can ditch AT&T's crap Uverse service as well.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not surprised. Everyone wants one so bad...lol. That thread filled up FAST!

I just think anyone would jump at the chance for a free phone. Wouldn't be surprised is readers not signed up made an account just for the contest. This stuff always happens with giveaways lol, just look at the number of people following @DroidLanding

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
A little help please. I know the eFuse is a deal breaker for some, but I will never root my phone and it's not a significant factor for me personally.

However, I'm reading that the phone won't allow incoming calls while tethered or when on WiFi? That is intolerable. I thought that the phone PROMPTED you to accepted an incoming call (or not) while connected. Can someone who got their X today please verify this. If there is no mechanism to turn this functionality on, then I'm off.