Help me decide for/against the DX

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
New member here - and I have some questions regarding the droid x

I'm running a rooted Nexus One on the AT&T network.

I've read just about every review I can find on google and I'm currently on the fence as to whether I should jump ship to the Verizon network and get the droid x.

I have my name on a list at a couple of places, so I think the odds are pretty good that if I decide to get one, I'll have the opportunity.

Having read that the bootloader is encrypted caused me to rethink the whole idea.

Basically how does the DX stack up against the N1 (aside from rooting/custom roms). I like the Nexus, but the screen is a tad imprecise (so I'm thinking the larger screen will be a plus).

The DPI between the phones are about the same, so I don't know if the smaller nexus displays images better or they're about the same.

Also this is a pretty big phone, how pocket-able will this puppy be. I usually carry my phone in my front pants pocket. The nexus fits just nice, but how will the DX

Thanks
Mike

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The DX (from what I've heard) fits okay in your pockets. And with the encrypted bootlander- just give it time, it will get bypassed.

Not to be a jerk to AT&T, but Big Red is always the better option (in my opinion)

The bigger screen on the DX will be a lot better for the keyboard, and everyday functions all together.

If I was in your position, I would totally jump ship to Verizon and pick up the DX :D

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
They have an awesome review here on Android Central of the X which should help quite a bit. Browse the threads and you'll get a bunch of info. Personally I just prefer the form factor and screen size of the X over N1....disclaimer...I've only played around with the N1 a couple of times. I've always thought carrier recommendations are senseless; the only thing that matters is what works in the area you're in the most. I think AT&T is crappy, but I have friends in other places that swear by it.

Good question you pose....is the X superior enough to the N1 to switch? Curious to see what N1 owners on here think.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You definitely don't want the X - at least not until I'm sure there is enough stock so I can get one :)

Realistically, I'd consider getting the X and keeping the Nexus One to play with. I've been waiting and hoping the Nexus One would come out in a wi-fi only version. As it stands, it's my understanding that once you switch the N1 will still work at nearly full capacity with wi-fi. The added benefit is that you can leave your primary phone stock (not like you have much choice), and the N1 can run all the alpha software giving you an outlet to play.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
You definitely don't want the X - at least not until I'm sure there is enough stock so I can get one :)

Realistically, I'd consider getting the X and keeping the Nexus One to play with. I've been waiting and hoping the Nexus One would come out in a wi-fi only version. As it stands, it's my understanding that once you switch the N1 will still work at nearly full capacity with wi-fi. The added benefit is that you can leave your primary phone stock (not like you have much choice), and the N1 can run all the alpha software giving you an outlet to play.

that is exactly what i am going to do with my Motorola Droid (if I dont have to sell it that is :(....)

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i was able to get my hands on a dummy phone in a Verizon store today and I was a little surprised by the size. I don't know why some of the reviews out there are cutting down this device because of size because this thing feel light and it's thin. I held it up next to my Storm 2 and I think this will actually fit in my pockets a little better surprisingly.

I am 100% for this phone right now. It may not be the best on the market in 6 months, but right now there is no doubt that it bests every phone available.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

I'll be selling the N1 to help offset the cost of the droid x is I opt for the his puppy.

At first I was bothered by the encrypted bootloader, but when push comes to shove, I can do without the custom rom. I've played with cyanogenmod and like what it offered but its not a show stopper.

I'll wait to hold one in my hand to see how it fits and works.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I live in the South. Everybody and their mother has AT&T. Some of my friends get so defensive when I talk about how incredible the Verizon network is. Having been a customer of both, Verizon has THE best network out there. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times my phones on Verizon were the only ones that would consistently work in large crowds when AT&T's signal was absent. This phone is the best phone on the best network. It's a no brainer.

anon26174

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I agree about the size thing. Having played with a unit at a local Verizon store just yesterday, the phone is far thinner and lighter than I expected. Of course it's still larger than my Inc (and your Nexus 1), but doesn't feel as bulky as I'd thought.

I genuinely feel this is one of the only phones that really needs to be "seen to be believed" -- I know that sounds a bit clich?d, but all negative thoughts I'd had about the phone being too large disappeared when I got to hold it *insert "that's what she said" joke here*, and though I'd used the EVO 4G for a bit, the slimness and narrowness of the Droid X was noticeable compared to the EVO (another phone too often criticized for being way too large when it's not that much bigger than other phones once you get your hands on it).

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You know if I show up to a verizon store thursday, I will be buying it ;)

This is why I'm trying to decide now if its a good fit. I spent a lot of $$ for my Nexus (being unlocked) and while I can sell it, to offset the cost. I'm having a little bit of a problem getting this DX because I did just get the N! earlier this year. I try not to buy more then one phone a year if that.

The screen size and typing is what keeps me coming back to deciding for the DX. Both phones have advantages/disadvantages.

I appreciate everyone chiming in here, as it helps crystallize my reasons and thought process. Ultimately it is my decision and my money.

Also one other question, has anyone considered buying the DX under the one year contract. You pay more but you may have a little more freedom, i.e., contract expires in one year instead of two years.

I suppose this may not matter too much if you plan on staying with verizon, but it may mean change the upgrade date for future phones (if the DX doesn't work out). Opinions?

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If I end up getting the DX it will have to be at full retail price or some miracle. But either way I would even be okay with an extended contract. Verizon has amazing coverage and service and this is a really sexy phone :)