Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Are you buying the HDMI Multimedia Desktop Charger?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - 49.99 isn't too bad for something this cool.

21 34.43%
  • No - 49.99 is a ripoff.

9 14.75%
  • Yes - But I will wait for prices to drop or buy if from a 3rd party.

27 44.26%
  • No - I don't need it.

4 6.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Default Are you buying the HDMI Multimedia Desktop Charger?

I'm not sure if you guys have noticed or not, but the dock is now posted on Verizon's website for $49.99

There's no way to purchase it, as of yet, nor can I get a picture to load.

I am curious if anyone wants this thing bad enough to pay that kind of money.

Vote!

I believe all the official accessories are posted on VZW's website, without the ability to actually order any of them.

Personally, I can't justify spending that much for a dock...even with my 25% discount. Especially considering it doesn't it include a HDMI cable. I purchased the desktop cradle for my Storm 1 the day it was release, and used it for all of a week.

Is this the only cradle for a desktop? I was thinking of getting one for the bedside. Don't need it though if it's $50.00. A ***** much for a piece of plastic that holds up the phone and doesn't even include an hdmi cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    Is this the only cradle for a desktop? I was thinking of getting one for the bedside. Don't need it though if it's $50.00. A ***** much for a piece of plastic that holds up the phone and doesn't even include an hdmi cable.
    consider editing

anyway i cant see the point in having this when you can buy all the cables you need for about $15 from amazon

i'm all over this! i currently use a dock beside for my BB, and the dock for the X looks sweet, as you can use for an alarm, weather, and all of the other multimedia stuff.

I might if it will work with the phone being covered by a rubber case.. and same goes for the car docking station. If not i might wait for sedio to release something that will work with a case.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I wish they would have just put a kickstand on it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    yea, that would have been cool, but then it might have added some bulk. so, i'm glad they didnt.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

I think I'm just going to get the leather wrapped snap on case with the kickstand. That kind of eliminates the need for a dock. I wouldn't remove a case constantly to dock it anyway...its a PITA
    Droid X
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

There is a case with a kick stand

i dont have a problem removing my case everynight for my BB, but that leather case with kickstand does look interesting.....i think i'll pass on that though as it looks like it adds to much bulk.....i'm leaning towards the seidio active case coming for the x, and then using the moto doc. plus i get 25% discount on accessories, so it's not that painful.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Yeah, I'll probably go with the case/kickstand option also, but I don't want to keep it in the case, which is why I wish it just had one built in like the EVO does.

I'll definitely be getting the Charging Station. Yes, it's overpriced, and I plan to use it on a nightstand, so I won't be using the HDMI through it, but I want it, mainly based on a video that showed how nicely it performs.

I just had a nice session at the local Verizon store, where they brought out a bucket of accessories (but no Droid X), and they recommended the $25 slip case/holster combination to accommodate easy removal for insertion into the Charging Station, and that's what I plan to use. It has a nice, tactile surface, but doesn't hang up on everything like a silicone cover.

They also told me that the $50 discount, to $99 on the 32gb card won't be available, except on the online store, but they will give 25% off for the purchase of 3 accessories.

I tried to cajole them into selling them to me now, but no go on that, so I'll have to take my chances on Thursday.

I am going to wait for Seidio to release their dock for it as it will fit the X with an Innocase on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    I am going to wait for Seidio to release their dock for it as it will fit the X with an Innocase on it.
    i had a Sedio dock charger for my BB, and it was replaced 3 times....it never worked properly. so, I'm not sold on their docks. their cases are a different story though imo.
    Last edited by rion_j; 07-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

I like the Seidio docks, myself. I'd buy a Seidio multimedia dock if it worked with their cases (which their Blackberry models do) and if it had a full-sized HDMI out instead of a micro out. As was mentioned earlier, the purpose would be a beside dock so I don't need to bother with connecting both power and HDMI.

I was thinking a regular dock for my PC would be sufficient, but now that I think of it I've got an HDMI input on my desktop...
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts

But how would that work with the charging and hdmi cables? Doesn't it only rotate to landscape one way? And isn't that direction that puts the cables at the bottom?

I bought the car mount, desktop cradle, and hdmi cable from my corp store and it was only 90 bux total. They only charged me 36.99 for the desktop cradle..........Very nice quality!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    But how would that work with the charging and hdmi cables? Doesn't it only rotate to landscape one way? And isn't that direction that puts the cables at the bottom?
    Good point :o

i'm gonna get it because i like docks. but i get a discount so i won't be paying $50, probably more along the lines of $25 - $30, which is a reasonable price to me.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,194 Global Posts

my discount makes it closer to $30..definitely getting one

I see that you can manually set the Droid X to that "big button" Car Mode. But is there a way to set it to "Dock Mode" as well, or is that something only the dock pins can activate?

I'm still going to get the dock anyway, because one thing I learned from my BB Curve is that after awhile, the weight of the cable bends the USB port and loosens the connection.
    Thanked by:
    Rachus 

they eventually released an app for the original droid that activated its' dock mode without the dock, i would assume that the same can be done for the x.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

My desk docks will be cheap, $10 eBay car docks. Limitless, adjustable viewing angles. Stable (suction cups). Connect cables manually and press Car Mode / Dock Mode button(s).
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I finally voted in my own poll. I thinks it's too expensive, but I've decided I will get the dock. It looks good, functions well, and is an OEM product, which is something I'm a big fan of. I just can't imagine trying to watch a movie on a plane without this thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast