Droid X Forum Member Initial Thoughts & Reviews

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
have had mine since friday, some issues so far
wifi - poor reception compared to my storm 2 and moto droid
has locked up twice so far requiring a battery pull ...was not doing anything, just turned it from portrait to landscape and it froze!

Battery pull?! on Android?! oh no you didnt... :eek:

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am loving the phone so far, but honestly, there are just some blackberry features I miss. Don't get me wrong, no regrets here, but I did love the calendar and email/sms set up blackberry uses. I also like that I could rearrange the apps on my home screen and hide the ones I never used, or organize them into folders. The app launcher on my droid is seriously bloated down, i could take 2/3 of the apps off it and function ok still.

I also hate that I can't uninstall the bloatware on the phone. I never had an issue with bloatware on my BB because I could just hide the download icons Verizon pushed to my phone. It's just a pain the look at apps that I don't want, nor will ever use. Yet they still eat up my free RAM.

Do love Android though, very happy to have jumped on the train here. Can't wait for more updates to make an even better OS!

jaydorsey

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a BB Storm, this is just an amazing experience. It's very clear that Android is a far more robust platform than BBOS. The browser renders web pages beautifully and even the data speeds while tethering via bluetooth are snappier than with my pokey old storm. I plan on posting a little more about my feelings later but my initial thoughts about this device from the perspective of BB convert are:
1. Fast. Darned fast.
2. Task management is a whole new ball game. This will take some getting used to after being so memory conscious on a Storm.
3. UI is a lot different. Better but taking some getting used to.
4. Widgets are cool but probably useless to some.
5. Screen is huge and beautiful.

1. Aesthetics - mmm... black slab. much sexier than my old 'berry. like the actual softkeys rather than capacitive buttons. nothing is overstated although I'm not so sure about a red camera key when the volume rocker and power button are chromed.
  2. Screen - HUGE... and beautiful. Video reviews just don't give it justice.
  3. Hardware - I don't have the same wiggling issue some have had with the softkeys, I prefer them anyhow but they are not wiggling for me. Seems solid but the plastic casing could easily be scratched that's why I have mine enclosed in a polycarb case with a soft touch finish... it's not bulky but just adds a little scratch protection.
  4. Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage - Great. Clear calls and some have said that I sound clearer too when calling.
  5. Overall User Interface (including Moto's Launcher) - Coming from BBOS, I can't really offer a qualified review here but I can say I like the seven different screens that are available. I keep looking for a Menu->Close option like on BB and it's proving to be a tough habit to break... I do like the overall feel of the UI and this does not look as cluttered as the other phones that ran the 'MOTOBLUR' launcher/skin that so many people find hateful.
  6. Motorola Widgets - meh... OEM toppings. The social media one seems okay to me but I really haven't had time to play with them all yet.
  7. Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - hands-down the best signal quality of anything I've used in the last decade.
  8. GPS - very good so far. Love the compass app too... seems fairly accurate when compared to my old backpacking compass.
  9. Social Networking - still haven't had much time to play with this but seems to be helpful and provides quick access to my facebook information... haven't set up twitter to it. Heard it doesn't play nice with apps that are service-specific (i.e. facebook app) but haven't seen a problem yet.
  10. Email/Calendar - I can't tell you how happy I am to have gmail integrated finally! So far I love the email features but haven't used the calendar much.
  11. Battery Life - this is probably my only gripe as it seems to be drained by the end of the day where I could squeeze a couple of days out of my 'berry. I realize that this is most likely due to having a lot of crap running in memory so I need to get familiar with task management in Android.
  12. Performance - slick and fast. No hiccups yet other than the SiriusXM app did almost make me pull the battery. I uninstalled that app once things got a little less wonky.
  13. Media (music, movies, DLNA) - haven't used this yet.
  14. Moto Widgets reviews - not really using much yet. will update.
  15. Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard - haven't tried swype yet but will soon. love the multitouch... makes typing that much easier.
  16. Camera (both still & video) - video is fabulous. still is okay but thought there was image stabilization in the software? images are hit or miss sometimes and color balancing leaves a bit to be desired. Hopefully the 2.2 update will fix this.
  17. How the X compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) - since I have only had a BlackBerry Storm I think it's obvious that it is just light years better. I am certain this is a phone I will be using happily for at least the next two years.
  18. Disappointments (if any) - battery life is a little lacking and camera shots should be better (I think that these will likely be addressed in future software updates) other than that I am happy as a lark!

Last edited:

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Aesthetics - The phone is beautiful! I love the way it feels in my hand. So many people talked about how big it was and it started to scare me but I think it is the perfect size.

Screen - gorgeous! Very responsive and beautiful color.

Hardware - Feels very sturdy. The buttons have a bit of a wobble to them but nothing major.

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage - haven't used speakerphone but calls are very clear when holding the phone up to your ear. Bluetooth is giving me some issues but I'm hoping it will get worked out in the update. It shows my headset as paired but not connected.

Overall User Interface (including Moto's Launcher) - Quick! I think I prefer the "look" of Sense a bit better but I love the feel of the actual Motorola phone better so it's worth it to me.

Motorola Widgets - they are a bit buggy on my phone. ie. even when I uncheck Twitter on my Social Networking widget, they still show.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)- I came from a BB Curve on Sprint and had to switch because of coverage issues so this phone rocks my world in that aspect. I have never dropped below 3 bars of signal.

GPS - haven't used it a whole lot but it has worked great the 3 times that I have.

Social Networking - Still trying to figure out if I like the moto widgets. I want to like them but it gives me more people than I want.

Email/Calendar - wonderful. I've had no delays with notifications.

Battery Life - pretty darn good now. I'm going on 6 hours off the charger and am down to 40% but that includes about 1.5 hours of talk time, texting, browsing, Facebook and about an hour of Pandora.

Performance - This phone is quick! I've only had it lock up on me once and I've been using it quite a bit.

Media - I haven't loaded my MP3s on yet but it does great with Youtube and Pandora.

Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard - Swype rocks my world. Multi-touch is also pretty good. Much better than the HTC keyboard, IMO.

Camera (both still & video) - haven't used video yet. The still camera has me a bit disappointed. Worlds better than my Curve but nowhere near what I hoped. We'll see if the update helps but if not I may try to exchange for another. I think I might just have a bad one.

How the X compares to your previous smartphone- it kicks my Curve's butt to the curb and back. I've used a HTC Hero before as well and the X isn't even in the same league. I adore this phone.

Disappointments - just the camera really but I am hopeful that it will get resoloved one way or another. I am extremely happy with this phone.

BKHAWK3

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Aesthetics - This phone is a work of art.
Screen - Perfect, so clear and even does better than most in sunlight.
Hardware - This phone flys I can't imagine how Froyo is gonna make it better.
Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage - Calls are crystal clear and bluetooth worked flawlessly in my car.
Overall User Interface (including Moto's Launcher) - I like most of it and I guess I'll be in the minority and say I actually like the contact list with a small amount of work this various contact views allow you to manage ALL of your contacts quickly and easily.
Motorola Widgets - Love the quick contact buttons but the new and tip widget were poorly designed.
Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - Coming from a Touch Pro the signal quality has been equal outside but the Droid x's signal inside buildings is superior by far.
GPS - Didnt play too much with it but maps had me within a 1/4 block.
Social Networking - Had a small problem when I used the status widget but other than that perfect.
Email/Calendar - Emails are quick and interface for attachment is simple coming from a WM device. Calendar could be better will probably look into a replacement.
Battery Life Can't comment too much since use of new devices tend to be more than normal but the battery management tools are great and nice to check to see what is draining battery life so adjustment can be made if necessary or possible.
Performance - Motorola had it right Xtreme.
Media (music, movies, DLNA) - loaded Pandora and it played flawless. Haven't had a chance to DL any videos yet.
Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard - Not a fan of Swype but multi-touch keyboard is the best I've used.
Camera (both still & video) - Still pictures were great nice having a dedicated shutter button. Haven't taken any videos
How the X compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) - Touch Pro with WM is like comparing a Festiva to a Ferrari.
Disappointments (if any) Yea some times this phone is too smart like when it decides to auto link Al and Alex together but more times than not it gets it right so even its bad points are better than most.

klebron23

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Oh wow I just got home and activated this..what an amazing phone!! Even coming from the Droid! Everything is so fast, the phone is sturdy and feels solid in the hand, the size is perfect IMO.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I've had the phone for about 2 hours now. Its very light, very fast but i really miss the soft keys on the original droid. One thing that i really love is tyhe text selection bullseye. Very useful in my opinion and i wish it was in every android phone.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
PROS
voice to text rocks
screen is beautiful
Social networking integration
feels fast
call quality is good
bluetooth worked from the start
Swype is very nice

CONS
Keyboard is too narrow in vertical mode
screen gets very smudgy
no optical zoom on camera
Apps seem behind Apple ios equivalents
Social networking integration (yes, both pro and con)

prenoobster

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
PROS
voice to text rocks
screen is beautiful
Social networking integration
feels fast
call quality is good
bluetooth worked from the start
Swype is very nice

CONS
Keyboard is too narrow in vertical mode
screen gets very smudgy
no optical zoom on camera
Apps seem behind Apple ios equivalents
Social networking integration (yes, both pro and con)

all of this also plus these cons
no percentage on default calculator, i must enter a name when i create a calendar event, default browser isn't that good, notifications dont display on lockscreen, and camera quailty sucks indoors (but is awesome outside for some reason)

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same basic issues as most other people but as of today when I turn wifi on it does not turn 3G off like it used to and with both on it's not not receiving gmails and google voice unless I go in and refresh. sync is turned on and active.
Any thoughts?

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I am getting my X too. Would be next Thursday ^___^ So excited.

Just only one question, is there any app to chat with Yahoo Messenger or Facebook? I used them a lot on my blackberry, and they are must have to me :p

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had a great first week with my DX. (I started out calling it my X, but when I told my daughter that I needed to go and play with my X, she gave me a very strange look.)

The improvements in speed, display, functionality and ability to customize, compared to my old iPhone 3G are far beyond my expectations. Of course all of the ability to customize means that one needs to take some time and care learning the OS, and searching out suitable App replacements for the old ones.

Of course with any new device there are frustrations, such as dealing with the odd and undocumented signal bar display switching functionality, and interactions with the screen orientation within a few feet of my Multimedia Station, but now that I understand them - no big deal. The only large problem left for me is an apparent bug which is not allowing me to add a 2nd gmail account, but I'm working around that until hopefully Froyo magically corrects the problem. If it doesn't, I will probably have to try the Restore Factory Data thing.

All in all, it's a great device, and I will never return to the land of Jobs.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
The form factor is indeed impressive on the Droid X. Once I saw it in person, it looked a lot more portable than I initially thought. It's also very thin! The Evo seems much thicker (even though it probably isn't that much thicker)