Droid X Forum Member Initial Thoughts & Reviews

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Howdy everyone,

Pre-release, I stickied a thread dedicated to reviews and previews by Android blogs, newspapers, and other lucky members who were able to get some hands-on time with the X.

The purpose of this thread, is to hear members thoughts & opinions on how the X stacks up amongst a suggested list of attributes:

• Aesthetics
  • Screen
  • Hardware
  • Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
  • Overall User Interface (including Moto's Launcher)
  • Motorola Widgets
  • Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
  • GPS
  • Social Networking
  • Email/Calendar
  • Battery Life
  • Performance
  • Media (music, movies, DLNA)
  • Moto Widgets reviews
  • Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard
  • Camera (both still & video)
  • How the X compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
  • Disappointments (if any)

Feel free to provide as little or as much detail as possible, while trying to make it as useful as possible. Hopefully this will help others who are considering the X, but would like to hear some user feedback first. Also, please do not review the X prior to having one ;)

And if you read a review that you found helpful, please use the Thanks button to show them your appreciation!

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Droid X Initial Reactions

So now that you have your Droid X in hand and have had a few to play with it, whats your guys initial reactions to all the specs? How do you guys like it and would you guys recommend it to others?

Post now!

Reactions: RoYaLe42

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
its fast and i love the screen. as much as i like the style of the moto widgets, i probably will only be using the social networking one, as the market alternatives are more my style. will stick with stock home for now, but i could see myself switching back to adw at some point. still trying to throw all my apps back on; the market is understandably slow right now. thank god for appbrain though

chuch13

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had it about 3 hours...and coming from a storm 2...I've gotten more done on this phone in 3 hours then the whole 9 months I had the storm 2 if that tells you anything! Amazingly fast...good integration with contacts and facebook/twitter...I love the marketplace...still getting used to the lack of surepress...havent even tried using swype yet...but all in all an amazing phone!

Aggie12

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
When I first started playing with it it was really slow and twitchy. I was getting really scared. Like when scrolling down the app drawer or the contacts it would stop and re-scroll. And when trying to edit a contact it would literally take about five seconds after touching the menu button to bring the menu up. But then I downloaded ATK (I know some of you don't like it but I don't just auto kill everything) and I killed most of the apps that I don't use, they were all active too which I thought was odd. But anyway, after I killed a few it was back up to speed and I ran a benchmark and it looked good. Now it's incredibly fast and but i've already drained the power down to less than 5% and its hooked up to the charger now. I figured I would get more juice out of the box than 2 hours... I'm sure it will fix itself. hopefully. I have faith in it. I've already downloaded a lot of apps and they look great. The video quality on here is awesome. Now I've just got to sync my music and its on.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
After a days worth of playing with it(Got it yesterday at Warlmart), these are my feelings thus far:

Absolutely LOVE the size of the screen. Just blows me away and I literally laugh everytime I look at it.

-So far the multitouch in the browser is not as smooth as the Incs though, its still good.
-Scrolling in the browser isnt as smooth as the Incs, though still good.
-Cant recieve or make calls or text people while Wifi is on. Not sure whats up with this but its damn annoying.
-Scrolling from screen to screen isnt as smooth as the Incs, though still decent. Tried out LauncherPro and its funny as hell to see with just how large the screen is. I love how LauncherPro takes away anything along the border of the phone so that you can see more on the screen.
-Live Wallpapers still slow the device down unfortunately. This was one of the big things I was looking forward to. They slowed down my last 2 phones so I never used them. I like them, but dont use them due to the decline in performance it causes the devices to have.
-And lastly a big problem I had with my Inc; The device is overheating. Its getting hot...

Other then that, The device is pretty amazing.

Unsure if I should take mine back and try an get another one to see if that replacement doesnt have these issues or just wait for the updates. We kept reading about a couple updates being pushed to the phone before the launch. Where are those? Have yet to get them...

Speedr117

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, having had an iPhone for 2 years and trying the EVO for 30 days, I LOVE the Droid X.

The hard buttons are great since I would accidently hit the search button on the EVO in landscape mode. The dock is great too! A little stiff going in, but I'm sure it'll loosen up a bit after a while.

The only problem I've had is I can't get it to connect to my linksys wireless router. Says "Unable to connect to the network" after I put in my WEP password.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
After a days worth of playing with it(Got it yesterday at Warlmart), these are my feelings thus far:

Absolutely LOVE the size of the screen. Just blows me away and I literally laugh everytime I look at it.

-So far the multitouch in the browser is not as smooth as the Incs though, its still good.
-Scrolling in the browser isnt as smooth as the Incs, though still good.
-Cant recieve or make calls or text people while Wifi is on. Not sure whats up with this but its damn annoying.
-Scrolling from screen to screen isnt as smooth as the Incs, though still decent. Tried out LauncherPro and its funny as hell to see with just how large the screen is. I love how LauncherPro takes away anything along the border of the phone so that you can see more on the screen.
-Live Wallpapers still slow the device down unfortunately. This was one of the big things I was looking forward to. They slowed down my last 2 phones so I never used them. I like them, but dont use them due to the decline in performance it causes the devices to have.
-And lastly a big problem I had with my Inc; The device is overheating. Its getting hot...

Other then that, The device is pretty amazing.

Unsure if I should take mine back and try an get another one to see if that replacement doesnt have these issues or just wait for the updates. We kept reading about a couple updates being pushed to the phone before the launch. Where are those? Have yet to get them...

Most cell phones get hot when you start using them intensely like downloading and using a bunch of apps at once.

Recker

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
This phone is a huge improvement over my storm. It will take a day or so to get use to the size. Feels like I am Zack Morris when I am talking on it.

daso

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say this, but i just went to my local vzw store and although the X is really cool and the giant screen impressive, I didnt fall in love with it the way i thought i would after having the D Inc. The multitouch or pinch to zoom isnt smooth and the page transition and overall page changes seem sort of jerky. Don't get me wrong, the phone is most definately drool worthy, but if you own and Inc already, you might not be as upset as you thought. I guess the next one to see will be the galaxy. once again, it is an amazing phone and i would have a much tougher time deciding if both were available when i got my Inc.

redlinetsi

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
already had one replaced this morning due to the screen going crazy (wish i had a video to show everyone) some guy missed his appointment for one so i got his as a replacement...no problems since :) this thing is amazing

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i can tell you after using it a while today that it has the best reception of any vzw phone i have used. i usually have 1-2 bars at home (downstairs apartment), but with the X so far, its held pretty steady at 3 bars

VolMan37421

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I picked my phone up this morning and have played with it all day (between getting some work done as well). I copied the inital list so I could answer those specific points.

Aesthetics - really cool phone and very easy on the eyes and in the hands.
Screen - there are no more words to describe how cool the screen is!
Hardware - super fast, but I've noticed some slowness in moving the the apps page
Phone - great call quality and really nice speaker phone
Overall User Interface -OK, but not up to the level of Sense
Motorola Widgets - Helpful, but again, not up to Sense
Signal quality - Fantastic for me here in Chattanooga
Email/Calendar - not bad at all
Battery Life - I've been pleasantly surprised at how slowly the battery drains
Performance - Very pleased
Media (music, movies, DLNA) - the sound is great (Doubletwist is freakin! slow!)
How the X compares to your previous smartphone - I had the incredible for about 29 days and was really impressed. I think it was more intuitive based on Sense. The X is more technical to me, IMO, but still amazing features and really easy to make great calls on.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that GPS kills the battery VERY quickly and is one of the causes why people are getting hot hands with the phone lol. GPS plus 3G plus downloading dozens of apps (I have about 30 already) makes this thing heat up like a mother ****er.

I'm actually afraid of putting a silicon case on it. It'll keep me from feeling how hot it is, but it'll trap the heat inside the phone and I'm afraid what hardware damage could happen then.

bb2dinc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank God

i can tell you after using it a while today that it has the best reception of any vzw phone i have used. i usually have 1-2 bars at home (downstairs apartment), but with the X so far, its held pretty steady at 3 bars

I have had a Dinc for a week, and after the first day, I called and told the retailer I was sending it back for an X. I'm coming off AT&T and am only leaving for the dinc/X. I was really disappointed with Dinc's reception. My wife had 5 3G bars with AT&T and I was on 1xevjhlkj !!!

If the X is as good as you say, I'll stick it out with vzw. Otherwise I will go crawling back to AT&T for the Galaxy...

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had the chance to play with a Droid X at work for the past couple of weeks, it's a fun device no doubt. Here's my outlook on the device:

Aesthetics- Nice hand-feel, not too heavy. Real solid and slim.

Screen- Bright, awesome colors and very responsive.

Hardware- Solid

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage- Sounds pretty good

Overall User Interface (including Moto's Launcher)-Not bad, snappy.

Motorola Widgets- Pretty cool, I don't use widgets but someone will like them.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)-Seemed fine to me

GPS- Didn't use it since I never took the phone home.

Social Networking- Nice interface, good way to hide MotoBlur ;)

Email/Calendar- Different set up for emails, puts sms/emails in one folder

Battery Life-Seems to die quick, almost faster than my Incredible.

Performance-Fast, but seen that already.. :D

Media (music, movies, DLNA)- I set up the HDTV with the phone interface, nice!
Moto Widgets reviews- Answered that one already..

Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard- I have both on my Incredible, nothing new

Camera (both still & video)- Pics come out pretty good, vids are crisp and clear.
How the X compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)- Same thing with a bigger screen and HD camera (until the update is pushed)
Disappointments (if any)- Locked bootloader (for now, I guess).

The list was copied from the first post, it's better than typing out my random thoughts on, wait who's eating sweet potato fries? :eek:

carver_inc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Let me say, this is my very first android phone. I'm still getting used to it but the more I use it the more I'm liking it. That said, here's my initial take...

* Aesthetics - Only rocking screen protector. Looks sexy.
* Screen - Size is great, same with picture.
* Phone - I tested the speaker phone while riding in my delivery truck today and it was fine.
* Overall User Interface - I get kinda lost, but again I'm new to android.
* Signal quality - This was the main reason I left AT&T/iPhone. After a full day of riding around making deliveries in MS, I never once was off 3G. Super pleased.
* Battery Life - My batter had whatever charge it came with from Verizon at 8:30am and lasted me until 4:00pm. I was on it whenever possible.
* Performance - Fast. I haven't really noticed any sluggishness at all.
* Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard - I started with the Multi-Touch but after switching to Swype I will not go back.
* How the X compares to your previous smartphone - Previous phone was iPhone 3gs. After playing with it all day, I would pick the Droid X over iPhone and wouldn't look back.
* Disappointments - It did lock up on me once today. Not sure what happened, but I had to pop the battery out for a minute for it to come back. Hope this doesn't start happening regularly.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
After almost 24 hours of use, I'm very happy with the phone.
It does lag from time to time, when turning on/off gps, wifi or integrating facebook..things like that. Have a few issues though.
Is there a way to keep google contact pictures as default. I can only see the option for Facebook and Twitter and they're messing things up. They're also (I belive) responsible for making come contact pictures in gVoice and gTalk blank when initially they were fine.
Also, the "pattern lock" i set up, worked once and now doesn't show up when unlocking the screen any more.
Also, I'm looking for a google reader app that syncs read/unread with the web (have gReader which doesn't do it) and an accurate battery percentage meter. I have "battery widget" and it said I had 50% remaining yesterday before restarting and then went up to 70%. Haven't plugged in over night and it's at 60% which is great if it's true but not if it ain't.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.