Issues Syncing with Exchange

Camphill

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Mops..???. What the heck was that?

No, you do not need the expensive plan. Exchange support works right out of the box. Simply enter your OWA information and you're good to go.

JayMSY

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
IT says ActiveSync is configured on server side..

Here is my information...doesn't seem to be working with TouchDown

Server: abcdefg.com/exchange
Username: me1111
Password: ?????
Domain: ZYXWVUT

"Connection Mode"
ActiveSync Only
ZYXWVUT\me1111

"Email Address"
me1111@abcdefg.com

"Server Name"
abcdefg.com/exchange

Program just sits on "Initializing ActiveSync..."

t9giese

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Mops..???. What the heck was that?

No, you do not need the expensive plan. Exchange support works right out of the box. Simply enter your OWA information and you're good to go.

Active sync requires the $45 plan. Exchange also supports imap and pop3 which only requires the $30 plan but no contacts or calendar.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bugler

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Need some help please. Set up gmal and aol, both work fine.

Heres what I am doing, tell me what i'm doing wrong.

My account > Add an account > Email > As Email I use "Bbugler@assumption.edu" > My PW is correct > Automatically configure settings > Next > "the social service is unable to automatically set up this account"

What is going on? This is like the 10th time.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
IT says ActiveSync is configured on server side..

Here is my information...doesn't seem to be working with TouchDown

Server: abcdefg.com/exchange
Username: me1111
Password: ?????
Domain: ZYXWVUT

"Connection Mode"
ActiveSync Only
ZYXWVUT\me1111

"Email Address"
me1111@abcdefg.com

"Server Name"
abcdefg.com/exchange

Program just sits on "Initializing ActiveSync..."

Try removing the domain and slash in front of your username. Also, try leaving off /exchange for the server name. You can probably leave the domain field blank as well.

Last, but not least, instead of choosing ActiveSync in Touchdown, choose the option that says "I don't know" and let Touchdown figure it out.

t9giese

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used touchdown but the native client should be like this:

Domain\Username - usually the same that you would log onto windows (ex: yourdomain\jblow)
Password: **** (I seemed to have problems with a $ in the p/w, not sure if other symbols cause problems as well)
check use secure connection
email address: jblow@yourdomain.com
server: owa.yourdomain.com (it's whatever your admin has it configured as but it is a FQDM, and yes drop the /exchange)

As far as not needing the $45 corporate plan for active sync well I guess I've never tried it. According to Verizon's website you need it.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used touchdown but the native client should be like this:

Domain\Username - usually the same that you would log onto windows (ex: yourdomain\jblow)
Password: **** (I seemed to have problems with a $ in the p/w, not sure if other symbols cause problems as well)
check use secure connection
email address: jblow@yourdomain.com
server: owa.yourdomain.com (it's whatever your admin has it configured as but it is a FQDM, and yes drop the /exchange)

As far as not needing the $45 corporate plan for active sync well I guess I've never tried it. According to Verizon's website you need it.

You don't need the $45 plan, that is mainly for the blackberry's. For the blackberry if you want BES access to your companies BES server you need the $45 account. I've used WinMo phones and now android phones on my Exchange server with no problems on the standard $30 data plan through Verizon.

As for the Exchange setup, it does not matter what domain the exchange server is using as you can set it up to handle multiple differnet domains, you just need to make sure that the server name URL is correct. When in doubt just use the OWA web address you use to check emails through the web, just leave off the HTTP and anything after .com/. You will also need a Certificate, you can use a self signed one (just make sure you uncheck the verify certificate option on your droid).

I have an Exchange 2003 server running home that is using a self signed cert and I am using DyNDNS service to point a url to my IP address since I don't have a static IP from my service provider. I also have my Exchange setup as a front end / backend server (technically you really need two seperate servers to do this) with all the Mobile access on.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have an Exchange 2003 server running home that is using a self signed cert and I am using DyNDNS service to point a url to my IP address since I don't have a static IP from my service provider. I also have my Exchange setup as a front end / backend server (technically you really need two seperate servers to do this) with all the Mobile access on.

How very techie of you. I'm jealous :)

dsniegocki#AC

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
You don't need the $45 plan, that is mainly for the blackberry's. For the blackberry if you want BES access to your companies BES server you need the $45 account. I've used WinMo phones and now android phones on my Exchange server with no problems on the standard $30 data plan through Verizon.

As for the Exchange setup, it does not matter what domain the exchange server is using as you can set it up to handle multiple differnet domains, you just need to make sure that the server name URL is correct. When in doubt just use the OWA web address you use to check emails through the web, just leave off the HTTP and anything after .com/. You will also need a Certificate, you can use a self signed one (just make sure you uncheck the verify certificate option on your droid).

I'm set up that way as well (MS Exch 2003, DynDNS at home) with the exception of the certificate - maybe that's where this is failing for me. I'll give that a go. Thx...

dsniegocki#AC

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Active sync requires the $45 plan. Exchange also supports imap and pop3 which only requires the $30 plan but no contacts or calendar.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Seems pretty simple to me - if the only reason it won't work through Verizon's network is the extra $15 provisioning, then there is no reason it shouldn't work over WiFi on my local network. That $15 extra is only for BES through their network, and even that became unnecessary if you were using the newer BESX.

dsniegocki#AC

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

BTW, if you could drop a few quick tips on getting starting with creating and applying a cert to exchange 2003, I'd be grateful...thx again...

Adontain

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having troubles getting more than one email? I keep my inbox empty and move all my files into another folder when I pull them up on my laptop (old BB work around so I wouldn't get multiple emails). Now with everything setup I can get the first email, but anything after that stays unread and doesn't get pushed to the phone.

Ideas?

JayMSY

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm still not 100% there yet. I am 50/50!

I downloaded and installed K-9. I can at least send email from it with my exchange account, however I can't get the program to download new messages.

Error log does say host is unresolved. hmmmm

Last edited:

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
BTW, if you could drop a few quick tips on getting starting with creating and applying a cert to exchange 2003, I'd be grateful...thx again...

First you need to install the certification authority on a Windows Server (can be the same server the Exhange system is on) to generate a certificate. It's not that hard but way to long to type step by step. If you're in the IT department you should have no problems setting it up. Once you have the Certification Authority up and running, when you request a certificate on the exchange server, select the "Send the request now" option and it should find the certification authority server you set up and generate the certificate automatically.

If you are using Exchange Server 2003, Activesync wants to see a front end / backend setup and you have to force your single Exchange server 2003 to act as both.

These are not the instructions I followed but they are similar, this may shed some light on things for you:

How can I configure RPC over HTTP/S on Exchange 2003 (single server scenario)?

Last edited:

JayMSY

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
FINALLY!!!! K-9 Seems to be working well. Now to figure out the notification part.

<jay will humbly step away from the keyboard for a while> :)

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1

Presently running touchdown with my office...that does not have activesync enabled.

Running Win 7 on my office computer, wondering if anyone has ever heard of this mobile device center. It boasts activesync..

Guess what I am trying to do is fine a workaround to somehow enable active sync on my local computer since our I.T. department is so far behind the times and won't enable it.

t9giese

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I think mobile device center is PC <-> windows smart phone only, and you need a cable or bluetooth connection to sync.

Exchange active sync (EAS) is OTA sync of email/contacts/calendar.

eye-gee

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Remote wipe question - Exchange 2003 & Droid X

I am NO techie but I got my Droid X to sync with Exchange 2003 in just a couple of tries. Ten days later, my IT manager asked me whether the Droid X complies with security regulations that require his ability to do a remote wipe if I lose the phone. At about that time, I started getting connection errors. I've tried all the fixes suggested here and still no luck.

A techie friend suggested I try to connect via the internet (using https:\\.servername.com/exchange), and if that didn't work the trouble was at the server end. It didn't work. I suspect I've been locked out because of the security risk, but I haven't been able to talk to Mr. IT to confirm this.

So my question is about security compliance. Can anyone tell me if the Droid X can be wiped by my administrator? If not, I will have to return it and choose something else. I have 2 weeks to do that.

Any help would be appreciated. (including directions to a thread dealing with this specific question if there is one.)

Thanks, eye-gee

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000