Can I Remove the Bloatware Yet?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to remove the pre-installed applications on the Droid X yet? Do I have to wait for root or is it even possible then? I'm just a little OCD about having apps on my phone that I don't use.

Thanks.

lindycu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You'll have to wait for rooting so I'm told. Interestingly I noticed you can delete the pre-installed game, but not Blockbuster, etc.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks,

Yeah, the game is already gone. Looked sweet while trying out the demo but I don't play too many games on my phones. Just waiting to get all this other crap off now.

kg6wtr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait to get the bloat off my X as well. I just upgraded my Droid to Froyo and I love the plain-jane vanilla Froyo UI. I don't see why Moto saw fit to pollute the Android experience with its own crap and then deemed it necessary to protect said crap by locking down the bootloader.

I am dreading Moto's version of Froyo for the X. Hopefully we won't be forced to deal with Moto's contamination of a great phone OS.

duffyanneal

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
It's like the chicken or the egg...which came first. If you don't know what root is then you probably shouldn't need to know what root is. :D Root is a term that goes back to Unix. Basically, if you have root permission you can modify just about anything in the system including things that really shouldn't be modified. Great things can happen with root permission, but very bad things can as well.

Ender0715

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I want this stupid Backup Assist off my ****in phone now... I want all these stupid programs that are running services in the background that im not using off my phone... I want root...

PLEASE now...

rhcmhc#AC

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
rooting?

You'll have to wait for rooting so I'm told. Interestingly I noticed you can delete the pre-installed game, but not Blockbuster, etc.

My phone arrives today so I havn't had the chance to use it yet. . . .but I've seen the word "root" "rooting" in lots of posts . . . .what's that about?

Thanks!

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Android is based on linux, and having root access is super user ability.

So by rooting the phone you gain super user ability, which you can remove any application. As it stands now, you do not have the privileges to remove some applications

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
At a minimum you should be able to at least hide an app you dont want. BB does this.

Not as nice as uninstalling, but its better than nothing.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
From verizon's perspective, hiding is as bad as uninstalling in that you'll not use their apps. I wish we could easily uninstall the bloatware though

john_5_24

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a bb to the X, all this clutter is extremely iritating. Im trying to manage one of my home screens with shortcuts to all the apps i actually use so i don't have to see all that crap.

memphisteve

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Really finding it hard to believe that this crap is just going to stay on my phone!! Motorola nor Verizon is going to grease what has to be a lot of squeaky wheels on this issue?? Un-be-freaking-lievable. (Also a Blackberry convert who's having trouble adjusting to being treated like this.)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
At a minimum you should be able to at least hide an app you dont want. BB does this.

Not as nice as uninstalling, but its better than nothing.

You can do that with Launcher Pro, although there seems to be a bug which makes the AmazonMP3 app become unhidden.

DarkS3ct0r

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't have my DX yet, but there's no way to just hide app icons?
The phone I have right now, the Pre. There's patches to hide certain apps.
There's nothing like that for DX?

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Or buy Titanium if you are rooted, this will let you "Freeze" apps and processes which basically just disables them from running even in the background. Goodbye, damnable Backup Assistant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary