Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Default Can I Remove the Bloatware Yet?

Is there a way to remove the pre-installed applications on the Droid X yet? Do I have to wait for root or is it even possible then? I'm just a little OCD about having apps on my phone that I don't use.

Thanks.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

You'll have to wait for rooting so I'm told. Interestingly I noticed you can delete the pre-installed game, but not Blockbuster, etc.

Agreed. I hate all the extra little apps I don't need.
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Thanks,

Yeah, the game is already gone. Looked sweet while trying out the demo but I don't play too many games on my phones. Just waiting to get all this other crap off now.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

Can't wait to get the bloat off my X as well. I just upgraded my Droid to Froyo and I love the plain-jane vanilla Froyo UI. I don't see why Moto saw fit to pollute the Android experience with its own crap and then deemed it necessary to protect said crap by locking down the bootloader.

I am dreading Moto's version of Froyo for the X. Hopefully we won't be forced to deal with Moto's contamination of a great phone OS.

new android user here coming from BB . WHAT IS ROOT??

It's like the chicken or the egg...which came first. If you don't know what root is then you probably shouldn't need to know what root is. Root is a term that goes back to Unix. Basically, if you have root permission you can modify just about anything in the system including things that really shouldn't be modified. Great things can happen with root permission, but very bad things can as well.

I want this stupid Backup Assist off my ****in phone now... I want all these stupid programs that are running services in the background that im not using off my phone... I want root...

PLEASE now...

Default rooting?

Quote Originally Posted by lxadoz104 View Post
    You'll have to wait for rooting so I'm told. Interestingly I noticed you can delete the pre-installed game, but not Blockbuster, etc.
    My phone arrives today so I havn't had the chance to use it yet. . . .but I've seen the word "root" "rooting" in lots of posts . . . .what's that about?

Thanks!

Android is based on linux, and having root access is super user ability.

So by rooting the phone you gain super user ability, which you can remove any application. As it stands now, you do not have the privileges to remove some applications

At a minimum you should be able to at least hide an app you dont want. BB does this.

Not as nice as uninstalling, but its better than nothing.

From verizon's perspective, hiding is as bad as uninstalling in that you'll not use their apps. I wish we could easily uninstall the bloatware though

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Coming from a bb to the X, all this clutter is extremely iritating. Im trying to manage one of my home screens with shortcuts to all the apps i actually use so i don't have to see all that crap.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Really finding it hard to believe that this crap is just going to stay on my phone!! Motorola nor Verizon is going to grease what has to be a lot of squeaky wheels on this issue?? Un-be-freaking-lievable. (Also a Blackberry convert who's having trouble adjusting to being treated like this.)

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    At a minimum you should be able to at least hide an app you dont want. BB does this.

Not as nice as uninstalling, but its better than nothing.
    You can do that with Launcher Pro, although there seems to be a bug which makes the AmazonMP3 app become unhidden.

I don't have my DX yet, but there's no way to just hide app icons?
    The phone I have right now, the Pre. There's patches to hide certain apps.
    There's nothing like that for DX?

Launcher pro will let you hide apps
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Or buy Titanium if you are rooted, this will let you "Freeze" apps and processes which basically just disables them from running even in the background. Goodbye, damnable Backup Assistant.
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

Default NFS shift

Quote Originally Posted by lxadoz104 View Post
    how can i remove nfs shift & IF SO HOW ???

Root your phone with z4 root then uninstall app.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

NO!!!!!!!!!!

NFS is actually a lot of fun!

Really it is, I paid for the full version during the Christmas sales. I love it. It is one of the most graphical games you have for the X that wont bog down the CPU and GPU.
    Droid X 2.3.3 w/ Moto BH6X Bat, SanDisk 32G C2, Superior Dual Cover Case, Trident Kraken Case

ROM
    Unroot Stock JB 98.72.16

Im reading this thread and there are alot of new people asking all sorts of questions... such as "what is root/rooting", how can i delete these Verizon apps (aka bloatware)

First off... Root/rooting gives you "super user" access. In other words, God Power. After root, you still cant do anything special. You must download some Root Specific apps...

Titanium Backup will "freeze" and "defrost" bloatware.. once frozen (then powercycle), the app will disappear from you screens and app drawer. But its still on the phone, just hidden and not using any CPU and battery life.. again FROZE!. LOL I dont suggest delete bloatware. This can cause Verizon OTA and ANdroid OS OTA updates to get buggy and not install period. Just freeze them, and if you get an update... first unfreeze all the bloatware... pwercycle... update OS/OTA... powercycle... refreeze bloatware... powercycle and walla... enjoy...

Rooting also give you access to apps the nonrooters do not have.. such as screenshots (GOOD SCREEN SHOTS).. backing up and Flashing customer made ROMs (if you sick of the stock ROM from Verizon). A ROM is the program you see when you are navigating the Android. Like the 7 homescreens, the app drawer, all the settings, etc... Its like Windows 7, Vista, XP, MAC OS, etc... the main program is the ROM... custom ROM made from Gingerbread OS are already out... try one... but research rooting, flashing, backup, ROMing, etc before even considering doing it... AndroidCentral answer all the questions... just read and research.. its all here on this site too!
    If I helped you, then please hit the "Thanks" and/or "Like" button(s). I like to know I'm not just here for amusement.
    **1998** Nokia 6160 > Samsung Color VGA1000 > Samsung T209 > Samsung SGH867 Eternity > Samsung I8000 Omnia 2 > Motorola MB810 Droid X > Motorola XT912 DROID RAZR **2013**
    Thanked by 2: