Text Message Notifications

pyrosaga

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Just got my Droid X yesterday and could not be more satisfied. However, one thing I've noticed is that whenever I get a new text, it only shows up in the notification bar. The number of unread messages doesn't show up next to the icon for text messages in the home page. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to activate that? :)

Thanks,
pyrosaga

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It sucks, my gmail icon and text msg icon don't display a counter of unread msgs.

But if you goto the "all apps" area into messages the mailbox there is another icon for text messages, this one actually displays a counter, you can also add your email to this area.

Now I just have to figure out how to move those to homescreen.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Would love to see a counter on the icon, but cant find a way to do it, have a felling the solution will be to use a 3rd party app.

I did figure out that the Gmail mail app you can put on the hone screen, and the Gmail mail app in the Messaging are tied to the same gmail account on the phone but the apps are separate. Meaning you can go into either one that you dont use as your default and disable task bar notifications so when you get an email you dont get double redundant notifications. That was bugging me to no end.

But the text messaging app on the home screen is the same as in the Messgaing app.

Why its the same but the phone has two different gmail apps makes no sense. I can only think one is built into Andorid and the other Motorola added. Confusing. Youd think they would clean that up and have a better UI process for something as critical as mail.

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have an incredible and the gmail app doesn't display a counter but there is a free widget you can get to put on the home screen that looks like the gmail icon that will show a counter and open the gmail app when clicked.
Messaging always displayed a counter for me. Although I now use for SMS and they have a built in widget you can use.

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I have an incredible and the gmail app doesn't display a counter but there is a free widget you can get to put on the home screen that looks like the gmail icon that will show a counter and open the gmail app when clicked.
Messaging always displayed a counter for me. Although I now use for SMS and they have a built in widget you can use.
The name of the widget is unread gmail

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
You can download Launcher Pro, and there is a text icon in the bottom dock bar. There is a setting in launcher pro to turn on counters. Works very well.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
There is also a widget in the market called SMS unread count that is a 1x1 widget that looks like a messaging icon

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea a little annoying counts aren't built in, but also highlights one of the best aspects of android in that you can download something to customize those basic type features.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
It dosent bother me there isn't a count. The notification bar tells me there is a text so i pull it down, and go to texts. I mean does the count make me check them faster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781