Let's do it: Post pictures taken with your Droid X!

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Here is a comparison of stock and C360.... Using default settings for all shots..
attachment.php
STOCK

attachment.php
C360

attachment.php
STOCK

attachment.php
C360

There's got to be something terribly wrong - to get such poor stock pictures. I've taken bunches of them on my DX, and I've yet to get any to look remotely near that bad, and there are quite a few really good Stock pictures on this thread that demonstrate its capabilities.

I've been experimenting with 360, based on looking at your comparative pics, and I was hopeful that I would see some dramatic enhancement with 360, but I found a miniscule difference in picture quality with 360 over stock, if any at all.

Do you think there might be something uniquely awry with the stock app, or the shutter button on your DX?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
There's got to be something terribly wrong - to get such poor stock pictures. I've taken bunches of them on my DX, and I've yet to get any to look remotely near that bad, and there are quite a few really good Stock pictures on this thread that demonstrate its capabilities.

I've been experimenting with 360, based on looking at your comparative pics, and I was hopeful that I would see some dramatic enhancement with 360, but I found a miniscule difference in picture quality with 360 over stock, if any at all.

Do you think there might be something uniquely awry with the stock app, or the shutter button on your DX?

Gonna have to agree with vic here. No way in hell that those are just from changing software. The sensor is the same no matter what piece of software you're running, and the differences you're seeing is sensor based.

Am I calling bull****? Yes, I'm calling bull****.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ahh EXIF data how I love thee.

Where do I begin?

Okay first off. You're using ISO 800 in your stock photos. Thats going to make anything look grainy as hell.

Second you have exposure set to +1. This will over-brighten even a dark picture.

Third you are not focused in your stock shots. You most likely are either focusing and getting a red reticle or you're just pushing the camera button as hard as possible, thereby causing blur from movement and not focusing properly.

Come back again when you've fixed your settings properly.

Edit: Btw I didn't mean to come off as a jerk about wildman's photo comparison between Stock and C360. It's just that he's making claims that are horribly inaccurate and are really making the stock camera app look atrocious when in fact there's nothing wrong with it. Sure it could use some more settings and an on-screen shutter button would be beautiful (that's what Froyo is for) but the differences he was showing were NOT due to differences in apps. It was because of differences in settings. Whether he knew he did it or not is a different question.

Last edited:

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Some fresh tomatoes at my neighborhood farmers' market. No post-processing.

1281281740598.jpg

Nice blackout rims on a Porchse Turbo S Cabriolet parked next to me at a Best Buy in Rockville, MD. (The license plate read "360EATR")

1281554832602.jpg

The Porsche picture is a little noisy, primarily because it was dark in the parking ramp. Add to that, I saw the owner coming toward the car (he was easy to spot. He looked like he drove a Turbo S) and I had to move quicklyo

Last edited:

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's a macro shot done with the stock. I'm no photofile, but I'm petty happy with this, being that it's from a phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
And here's some rocks, done with stock. Sorry, I'm a little slow and can't seem to figure out how to upload multiples in tapatalk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site

Well his settings were off, but where I see the noticeable difference in 360 vs stock is in sharpness (possibly post-processing involved - but nice anyway) and low-light pics. Sorry but the stock app sucks when it comes to low-light pics compared to both vignette and 360. And by low light I mean a soft-lit room or incandescent lighting or even a lit parking lot. The stock app is usually very grainy and soft in these situations. 360 is much better IMO. It's also is less phased by movement. Slight movement in the stock app can throw off the focus very easily. With 360 and Vignette, it's hardly an issue.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Placebo effect. :p

The only remote possibility that Vignette, Camera 360 or any other camera application is providing higher quality photo's over stock is if its applying post processing. The image sensor on the phone is the same no matter what app you're running. These pieces of software cannot change what it see's, I just don't buy that.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

The only remote possibility that Vignette, Camera 360 or any other camera application is providing higher quality photo's over stock is if its applying post processing. The image sensor on the phone is the same no matter what app you're running. These pieces of software cannot change what it see's, I just don't buy that.

I have to agree with your placebo comment, and the rest. I've spent most of the last full day taking comparable pictures between stock and 360, hoping to see improvement with Camera 360, and I just don't see any. I blew up each shot as far as I could on my PC, and there was no appreciable difference that I could see.

Also, I tried the differences in settings that you pointed out, and it made a huge difference in the quality of the shots - and using pictures taken with those settings as examples grossly misrepresented the capabilities of the stock software in the DX.

I'll grant that some have a problem knowing how to use the shutter button on the DX, but anyone who has used a Canon digital in the past should quickly master it. It ain't that hard.

I'll be receptive to comparisons that are made on a level playing field, but what we have seen so far is not it.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site

You are correct in that the image data from the sensor is the same no matter what. However how that data is manipulated after leaving the sensor can make all the difference.

I took some more comparison pics today and while some may look very similar, on closer inspection, it's clear to me the 360 post-processing is spot on. These are daylight shots, I will be doing some low light ones later. They are taken at 8mp with all settings on auto. They weren't touched up in any way, just resized. All are labeled accordingly.

Last edited:

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Here are a couple more 360 pics. Looks like the forum stripped the exif data when using the attachment feature. That sucks.

Last edited:

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You are correct in that the image data from the sensor is the same no matter what. However how that data is manipulated after leaving the sensor can make all the difference.

I took some more comparison pics today and while some may look very similar, on closer inspection, it's clear to me the 360 post-processing is spot on. These are daylight shots, I will be doing some low light ones later. They are taken at 8mp with all settings on auto. They weren't touched up in any way, just resized. All are labeled accordingly.

Thanks for providing some good comparative pics, that clearly were taken with care to keep everything equal. I've been staring at them for most of the evening, at a variety of zoom levels, including full size, plus a magnifying loupe.

I haven't been able to find any differences in the two water shots. The backyard pics do vary a bit in brightness. Not sure which one is most accurate. I think it's fair to say that whatever differences exist, they are extremely subtle, and perhaps I lack the expertise to discern which one is best. I'll leave that for someone with more skills in that area.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
In the backyard pics (not actually a backyard but a fence close to my condo)you can clearly see some over-exposure with Vignette and a lot with the stock app (the brightness). The 360 app handled that quite well and was the most accurate representation of what I saw.

I totally understand your issue with the water shots - it's a result of the forum and how it handled the attachments. I posted one of these on the 'other' forum and it came out like it should. This forum reduces the quality noticeably even with the blown up copies.

The 360 pic is noticeably sharper but with the slight blurring caused by the reduction in quality it's harder to spot the difference. I posted the pics on imageshack so you can view them:

Imageshack - 20100812185107372.jpg

Imageshack - c36020100812185137.jpg

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Is the Macro setting part of the stock app? Does the Droid Incredible have a Macro setting? I'm not yet a Droid user, hence my questions. Thanks!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Is the Macro setting part of the stock app? Does the Droid Incredible have a Macro setting? I'm not yet a Droid user, hence my questions. Thanks!

Macro mode is available in the stock Droid X camera app. I cannot say for sure if the Incredible has it though.

As for the whole camera app debate, your comparison shots darreno1 are much more in line with what I've been seeing as far as stock photo's go.

I still feel at the end of the day the quality you're going to get out of this phones camera whether you use Stock app or After-market is going to be roughly the same, nothing major that you couldn't patch up with Photoshop.

If the other camera apps are taking the same image from the same sensor and applying post processing to it then there's nothing they really have over the stock app except a little time saved between getting a shot from your phone to publication, where-as the stock app shots would need to meet your 'shopping skills.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
In the backyard pics (not actually a backyard but a fence close to my condo)you can clearly see some over-exposure with Vignette and a lot with the stock app (the brightness). The 360 app handled that quite well and was the most accurate representation of what I saw.

I totally understand your issue with the water shots - it's a result of the forum and how it handled the attachments. I posted one of these on the 'other' forum and it came out like it should. This forum reduces the quality noticeably even with the blown up copies.

The 360 pic is noticeably sharper but with the slight blurring caused by the reduction in quality it's harder to spot the difference. I posted the pics on imageshack so you can view them:

Imageshack - 20100812185107372.jpg

Imageshack - c36020100812185137.jpg

I downloaded the pics, and looked at them carefully, at all kinds of sizes, up to zooms of outrageous size, and to be honest, I still can't see any real differences between them. That's not to say they don't exist, I just can't see them.

If Camera 360 does actually provide any enhancement in these two shots, it's far too subtle to be important to me, since I can't discern it, and I'll leave it to the experts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34