Got the Droid X Today and I Need Some Help!!!

alexrogers#AC

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the Droid X and so far I am loving it. I have been a loyal Blackberry user for quite some time, but I have decided to make the switch to the Droid. I am extremely happy with my decision, but I do have a few questions...

1. Is it possible to hide or rearrange icons on the App Launcher screen or do they have to remain completely visible in ABC order? I would like to create some folders to move some apps into (e.g. all my soundboards) and also hide some of the apps that I will never use.

2. I synced up my facebook account, but I dont want all of my facebook friends to be in my contact list. How can I do this?

3. Is it possible to edit the names of the apps? Some have huge names and I would like to minimize the length. Hiding the names completely would be fine too.

Any help would be appreciated and I am sure I will be asking more soon.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
long press the app and you can move it where you want, or remove it all together and replace it with another if you choose

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
you weren't helpful at all actually. I have the same question. when you press the up arrow which brings the app screen up, it lists all the apps. If you attempt to move them, it automatically brings you to the home screen to place them. You can not move, hide or delete them without uninstalling them all together from the "app menu". Coming from a bb, you could hide the ****ty bloatware or put them in folders. from what I've seen, you can only make folders on the home screen(s).

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
You cannot rearrange icons in the app drawer, nor can you hide or rename them. This is true with all Android phones. The only way to get rid of the "bloatware" is to root the phone, which is a ways out.

In regards to Facebook, I've played around with extensively, and there doesn't appear to be a way to selectively show only the contacts that you're interested in. It's all or nothing.

aaronhdtv

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
you weren't helpful at all actually. I have the same question. when you press the up arrow which brings the app screen up, it lists all the apps. If you attempt to move them, it automatically brings you to the home screen to place them. You can not move, hide or delete them without uninstalling them all together from the "app menu". Coming from a bb, you could hide the ****ty bloatware or put them in folders. from what I've seen, you can only make folders on the home screen(s).

long press an app icon and continue to hold. then, you can slide to the side of the home screen. after a second or two, you can then move them to another home screen.

not sure if this helps you, but you can customize all 7 screens this way.

jedge

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
3. Is it possible to edit the names of the apps? Some have huge names and I would like to minimize the length. Hiding the names completely would be fine too.

Any help would be appreciated and I am sure I will be asking more soon.

I don't believe there's a way to rename apps, but most custom launchers (ADW, LauncherPro, etc...) have the ability to hide names. If you just want to remove the names from some Applications (which is what i wanted to do to my home screen to give it a very sleek minimalist look) you might want to try Launch-X (FREE), or the payed version.

jahoobob

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
long press an app icon and continue to hold. then, you can slide to the side of the home screen. after a second or two, you can then move them to another home screen.

not sure if this helps you, but you can customize all 7 screens this way.

I don't think you read any of the other posts after the original. Your solution, already mentioned by someone who then "asked" for thanks for his non- answer, is not the solution asked for. The guy wanted to know if he could move an icon around or hide it on the App Screen, not on the home screens.

Last edited:

anon(41665)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with my facebook contacts importing into my contacts when using the included FB app. I removed the account and downloaded the marketplace FB app. That one did not import my FB friends into my contact lists.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Dx does not support social networking integration very well. It kind of takes over and has very few options for customization. It will also overwrite your photos etc... My preference is to just use the official apps from market until Moto updates.

My suggestion is to play around with it and see what you like. You can always turn it off.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Facebook...

You cannot rearrange icons in the app drawer, nor can you hide or rename them. This is true with all Android phones. The only way to get rid of the "bloatware" is to root the phone, which is a ways out.

In regards to Facebook, I've played around with extensively, and there doesn't appear to be a way to selectively show only the contacts that you're interested in. It's all or nothing.

Thanks for clearing that FB thing up as I was wondering the same thing. My solution around the whole long contact list is to Favorite the contacts you want to see and just have the Favorite list up. I rarely go to the master list at all.

Hope that helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci