Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apps Reopen Automatically After Kill?

I installed the task killer app as recommended by the telesales rep. Is it normal for a lot of apps (cardoc, appbrain, skype, etc) to automatically reopen thus hogging memory after i have killed them?

They seem to start automatically. Is this normal? How does one disable them to keep from opening and hogging the memory?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayMSY View Post
    I installed the task killer app as recommended by the telesales rep. Is it normal for a lot of apps (cardoc, appbrain, skype, etc) to automatically reopen thus hogging memory after i have killed them?

They seem to start automatically. Is this normal? How does one disable them to keep from opening and hogging the memory?
    Yes, this is part of the Android OS, it determines what is best for your phone, and runs the app that is needed.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Omg delete the task killer if not done correctly you could do more harm then good.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Yeah all those apps that auto start back up, dont kill them.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>Verizon LG G2 and LOVIN' it.

So if an app was killed and starts back up, you didn't hurt anything by killing it did you? Just curious.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

its hard on the cpu, just try to avoid killing the ones that come up right away.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>Verizon LG G2 and LOVIN' it.

Global Posts
    3,850 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDEFG... View Post
    So if an app was killed and starts back up, you didn't hurt anything by killing it did you? Just curious.
    Did it cause damage? Probably not. But background apps like that might be checking mail, tripping alarms, or syncing in the background. Killing them will halt that feature until they are restarted by some other OS action. If you miss an important message or alarm, that might "hurt something."
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Default Re: Apps Reopen Automatically After Kill?

Why the heck would amazon mp3 be running automatically when i never launched the program?

ROM
    Swapping them all out

idk about that one, i think its like a widget, it auto updates all the time.

Global Posts
    3,850 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayMSY View Post
    Why the heck would amazon mp3 be running automatically when i never launched the program?
    There's probably some feature of another program that uses a dynamic link library native to the Amazon MP3 download program. Marketplace and Music Player would be likely suspects. There may be other, less obvious candidates. Remember, Google has a lot of alliances in the development of this phone and it's software.
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Killing an app to have it reboot will cause more CPU cycles, thus consume more memory. Your phone will Automatically clear up the needed memory when it needs it and programs running in the background will NOT consume enough battery to be worth killing.

Your phone doesn't need a task killer unless you have a poorly coded app (and if the app is coded poorly you should uninstall it). I haven't run a task killer on my OG Droid (that has less ram and a slower processor) in going on four months with no issues. My battery lasts just as long, if not longer.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

If people don't start reading the stickies I'm going to have a nervous breakdown
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    If people don't start reading the stickies I'm going to have a nervous breakdown
    You could always make them randomly boot up whenever someone asks a question that's answered in them.. Maybe Rick roll them if people ask the same thing twice?

I'm sure Jerry could figure it out.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by menno View Post
    You could always make them randomly boot up whenever someone asks a question that's answered in them.. Maybe Rick roll them if people ask the same thing twice?

I'm sure Jerry could figure it out.
    That's a terrific idea

I was just joking around though (mostly). The task killer discussions are always the most common. I think because all of us have or had a mentality of using them after our Blackberry and Windows Mobile experiences. It doesn't help that we have Verizon stores out there telling people to use them either.

The salesman that sold me my X didn't even mention a task killer. One of the good ones I guess.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

There are more then there share of multiple post it is really annoying. I think most are from trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Default Re: Apps Reopen Automatically After Kill?

Thanks for the replies guys. I do appreciate it.

Im no troll...this is my first droid experience.

the only program I really use the app killer on is maps/navigation and the games when I'm done playing them.

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by menno View Post
    Your phone will Automatically clear up the needed memory when it needs it and programs running in the background

Until you phone because soo laggy, and sluggish that you need to do a reboot. I have read MANY MANY threads where the phone because so bogged down.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

i installed an app killer and it screwed up my gmail push had to reset to factory to fix so as of now im leaving it off