[BUG] Running Services LAG - PLEASE READ

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all!

This is my first post here at the site, and my brand new X is my first Smart-phone AND first Droid :cool: Loving the device and been reading these forums for over a week or so now, and now that I officially have my baby I felt it was time to be christened in to the community :D

Sadly my first post comes in bad overtone.

As the title says, I experience horrible stuttering lag in the "Running Services" and came here to confirm with others. I have 3 Droid X's at my disposal and have confirmed this problem on all 3. To reproduce the bug is quite simple:

1: Open up Settings -> Applications -> Running Services
2: Try scrolling to the bottom of the list at a moderate pace; not too fast, not too slow.

It should freeze up before you reach the bottom. You may also notice that when you attempt to scroll up and down when it freezes you lose all touch control until it unfreezes. This happens each and every time I load up Running services and never seems to stop over time. I've tried running the phone in Performance mode to see if it helps and it seems to "sort of" shorten the freezes but they still are certainly there.

I would greatly appreciate any and all comments and reports if you experience this. Thanks!

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Mine freezes just like yours. And also, processes that I keep closing keep reopening automatically. Its getting annoying.

What is going on with this phone?

Im having more and more issues with it as time passes by. Unfortunately its making me want to return it but I love the device. Just wish it didnt come with so many issues.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm I bought mine online, my girlfriend bought hers at a local Verizon store, and my brother bought his at a different Verizon store in a mall. When I open Running Services on all 3 and try scrolling up and down, never taking my finger off the screen just constantly scrolling up and down, it hiccups every couple seconds for approx 1 sec at a time. Its very annoying and I was really sure this had to affect everyone =( Hoping someone out there comes across this problem so I don't feel the 3 of us got jipped!

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
The first time I did this following your instructions, I experienced a minor hiccup in the scroll to the bottom, but none after that. This is not unusual as icon images are loaded on long lists (launcher, contacts). No big woop.

I'm curious why seeing this in a function as obscure as Running Services would even register on your "bad-overtone-o-meter?"

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious why seeing this in a function as obscure as Running Services would even register on your "bad-overtone-o-meter?"

Because it doesn't do it just once for us, it is constant. I can understand loading up the Applications Manager and it stuttering while loading icons, but this is not the case for us. It is CONSTANT lag that never ceases and that shows either somethings wrong in the software (memory leak, cpu spiking, etc) or that somethings wrong hardware as why do our phones constantly lag but others don't? There should be NO discrepancy with mass produced devices such as these.

Not to mention, c'mon these baby's shouldn't lag at all ;)

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, unless you guys have a crap ton of apps, it shouldn't do it too bad, my phone was getting slow, but i had like every free app on the market on it, after getting rid of stuff that wasnt needed, it worked just fine.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
The ONLY app I have downloaded and installed has been Spare parts to try an speed up the scrolling from screen to screen speeds on stock UI. Other then that I havnt installed jack crap and Im STILL having terrible lag with the UI, and in the menu were talking about in this thread.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I second bart151 in that I have barely any apps installed...

In fact, it was the first thing I tested on my phone when it arrived Friday, since I had experienced the issue on my girlfriends phone Thursday when we got it in-store, and later that day on my brothers phone when I went to confirm. So its not due to too many apps, as it occurred on mine off a fresh clean boot. :(

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
The ONLY app I have downloaded and installed has been Spare parts to try an speed up the scrolling from screen to screen speeds on stock UI. Other then that I havnt installed jack crap and Im STILL having terrible lag with the UI, and in the menu were talking about in this thread.
Are you saying you're experiencing "terrible lag" throughout the phone's UI or just on this one screen? It's not clear from your post. :confused:

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Have u read the task thread? Apps depend on services, which depend on otherservices. Its like a daisy chain. If any one point in the chain is called soon by something, android will rerun it. It could care less if u closed, or ended it! I've used android for almost a year now, and have opened running services maybe 3 or 4 times for the heck of it. U pretty much NEVER need to ne in there. Do yourselves a favor, PUT TASK MANAGMENT OUTA YOUR HEAD! Let android do its job. You'll be alot happier. This isn't a blackberry, or winmo for heavens sake!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Mine stutters when unlocking the phone and also when scrolling through the apps in the app drawer.

Mine also stutters when unlocking the screen. When it gets to the home screen, the widgets and screen take about 10 seconds to load, sometimes longer sometimes shorter but still lagging after unlocking. Ive had instances where my screen just turned blank with nothing on it.

The app drawers another thing, its terribly slow on mine, another thing Android cant seem to get right is scrolling speed. Slow as ****.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Mine does it but I fail to see the big deal. The app still functions just fine and serves its purpose. Most likely its stuttering because it is taxing the cpu while scrolling. It's not happening any where else that I can tell which is what really matters. It's probably fixable with a software update and we are due to receive Froyo anyway. No your Xs are not defective and hopefully now you can breathe easy.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Have u read the task thread? Apps depend on services, which depend on otherservices. Its like a daisy chain. If any one point in the chain is called soon by something, android will rerun it. It could care less if u closed, or ended it! I've used android for almost a year now, and have opened running services maybe 3 or 4 times for the heck of it. U pretty much NEVER need to ne in there. Do yourselves a favor, PUT TASK MANAGMENT OUTA YOUR HEAD! Let android do its job. You'll be alot happier. This isn't a blackberry, or winmo for heavens sake!!!!!!!

Sorry to say, but irrelevant to the topic. This isn't a debate of task killing, its a discussion of why is one menu showing extreme freezing and lag-out problems for some users and not for others.

As for thinking like this: "you shouldn't have to worry about task managers so just ignore the fact that that screen is laggy by not using it" is not solving the problem. If I wanted to be told to ignore blatant issues, I'd be holding an Iphone...

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Are you saying you're experiencing "terrible lag" throughout the phone's UI or just on this one screen? It's not clear from your post. :confused:

This is what Im having lag with on my device;

-Scrolling from screen to screen lags like mad. Not smooth what so ever as so many reviews claimed it was.
-App Drawer, very laggy, very sluggish, very choppy. Some instances Ill scroll and itll freeze and jump to the direction I was scrolling to.
-Browser lags both scrolling speeds and browsing speeds. As I said in a post in the wifi thread. My Inc destroyed my X in speeds while browsing. And Pinch-to-zoom is sluggish on mine.
-Sometimes my screen will "lag out" if you wish to call it and go haywire doing a bunch of random crap whether its opening something that I didnt even touch, or jump to another screen.

I could go on. The more I experience this device, the worse it gets unfortunately. I had such high hopes for this thing but Im not sure if its this particular batch of phones, the software, or what not. Its getting worse. Oh and dont even get me started on the WiFi and battery. Thats a whole another issue.

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I second this no problems
x3. I have absolutely no problems. I have no lag in the browser (pinch/zoom is smoother than what I've seen on the Incredible), home screen, menu, etc. - nothing. Maybe some of you should wait for the update that's supposedly coming next week.