Droid X Ringer Problems?

Alan B

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I'm loving my X, but am wondering if anyone else's won't ring? When a call comes in, the phone will only vibrate. The speaker works... I hear the notification sound (for new voicemail, texts and emails), I can hear media and the speaker-phone works fine.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this?

I'm assuming that I've set something wrong--the ringer was working when I got the phone on the 15th. I know this isn't a tech support forum, but here are the details in case anyone is willing to offer suggestions:

I've tried everything I could think of (and I did google it and search the forums, but couldn't find a similar DroidX thread). First, I maxed out the ringer volume using physical buttons. Then, I tried each of the following (one at a time):

In settings --> sound & display:
  • verified silent mode is off
  • verified ringer volume
  • verified phone ringtone is set, and that I can hear the preview
  • turned off "double-tap to silence" and "smart profile"
Other things I've tried:
  • switched back from Google voice to carrier voicemail
  • restarted phone
  • pulled battery from phone (and left it out for awhile)
  • have called the phone from numbers in my contacts, and numbers that aren't in my contacts

My system version is 1.13.516.MB810.Verizon.en.US.

I give my sincere thanks to anyone who is willing to offer suggestions or maybe point me in the right direction!

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My buddys phone had this same problem, he went back to verizon store and they did a hard reset (wipe) and it fixed it. Guy said it may have been app. Since he downloaded so many impossible to know which.

candicemichels

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem and i actually went to settings turned vibrate on,then called my phone and it rang out loud and when i turned vibrate back to off it stayed working. Actually have to go to settings though. It didn't do anything when i turned the sounds off from the shortcut on homepage.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar but different issue. My phone ringer plays fine, but my text and email notifications play the first second of the tone then stop.

Ive done a factory reset... and im on performance profile. Vibrate is enabled for all notifications and works as it should.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've have used the flip over to vibrate feature several times now and all appears to be working as normal.

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I too am having the same issue and it just started a couple days ago. I wonder if the latest OS update (push) had an effect. I hate to think I'll have to have the Verizon techs do a wipe but if no one offers a viable solution then I may head that way. Any suggestions welcome.

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Apparently this is a known issue with the Droid and Motorola says that they will 'eventually' address this. Do not engage the face down silent feature. This is what causes it and cannot be undone excpet to have the phone reset.

bcdully

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same problem. ringer worked fine the first couple days. then stopped all together. I have reset the phone twice now. It has been working almost perfectly since. I'm still getting the occasional glitch...Getting a call from someone with a specific ring tone and the phone ringing with the default ringer. I was thinking of exchanging the phone for another droid x, but after reading the posts, I can only hope Motorola and Verizon will address the problem. At least we don't have Steve Jobs telling us "Your phone is dropping calls?...Don't hold the phone that way"

dragknee

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Apparently this is a known issue with the Droid and Motorola says that they will 'eventually' address this. Do not engage the face down silent feature. This is what causes it and cannot be undone excpet to have the phone reset.

The last time I heard my phone ring was the first time I used the face down to silence feature. Does a hard reset wipe all of your music and data? Not too enthused about the prospect of spending three hours getting my phone set back up the way I like it.

pinhead875

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Music is stored on the SD card. A reset will not affect the SD card.
Get Appbrain - it helps with getting your apps back a little easier.

KQCrackberry

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Umm this is a little different, but my Droid X plays a strange ringer [that isn't even listed as a ringtone in settings] when I receive a call. It's something like "boop-boop-boop-boop...boop-boop-boop-boop" and I've tried manually setting ringers to callers, creating my own ringers, switching the default ringer to a different one... nothing works. No matter what I do it uses this strange default ringer and it's incredibly inconvenient. Ive battery pulled more than once (feel like i went back to BB lol) and it hasnt worked. software bug, maybe?

mdmill1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm still getting the occasional glitch...Getting a call from someone with a specific ring tone and the phone ringing with the default ringer. I can only hope Motorola and Verizon will address the problem. At least we don't have Steve Jobs telling us "Your phone is dropping calls?...Don't hold the phone that way"

I have this same problem with the ringtone switching to default for contacts with specific ringtones. Sms/email is working fine it's just the ringtones for calls that is messing up. I hope they fix this soon.

buriedrumors

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have this same problem with the ringtone switching to default for contacts with specific ringtones. Sms/email is working fine it's just the ringtones for calls that is messing up. I hope they fix this soon.

I was having the same exact problem with mine. Then I actually saved my ringtones as mp3 files on my laptop and dragged them into my phones ringtone folder that way. They work now, except every once in a while it would play the wrong specific ringtone for a certain person, but never my default ringtone unless it was a contact with an unspecified ringtone.

Now though, it just vibrates. I've tried taking the battery out. I guess I'm going to have to reset it. Has anyone else had any luck with this?

Gebo#AC

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I searched "all" the forums and found a couple of procedures that worked for some people. None worked for me other than the dreaded factory reset. Of course, for me, this involved a trip to Verizon store to transfer my contacts from my old S1 to my X. 1 and 1/2 hours...in the store...

Gebo#AC

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I know some of your are wondering why I don't use BackUp assistant. I just can't get it to work right. Probably operator error...

Ballgame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The last time I heard my phone ring was the first time I used the face down to silence feature. Does a hard reset wipe all of your music and data? Not too enthused about the prospect of spending three hours getting my phone set back up the way I like it.

So the ONLY way to get your X to ring again is to go and get it factory reset?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel