I cant curse in Speech to text!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
First of all, I edited your post title per the forum rules:

Foul language - Android Central is a site used by people of all ages, so please keep posts and links family appropriate. We use software filters to block some common language use and will not tolerate any attempts to beat such filters. Feel free to curse like a sailor at your home, not ours.

Secondly, I don't think the fact they didn't include swear words is a form of censorship. They just choose not to include those words.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about the thread title. I just find it strange that we cant curse in our speech to text. I thought i saw something saying there was a way to turn off the profanity filter. But maybe that was with Vlingo

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Google has their Speech to Text servers block out inappropriate words by default. This isn't to censor you though.

According to Google, they did this because their speech recognition software is still a beta release and it's translation capabilities are far from perfect. They wanted to prevent the software from mishearing a common word and translating it to something the owner would find offensive, especially if that owner was a minor.

Reactions: Myztk

Myztk

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Google has their Speech to Text servers block out inappropriate words by default. This isn't to censor you though.

According to Google, they did this because their speech recognition software is still a beta release and it's translation capabilities are far from perfect. They wanted to prevent the software from mishearing a common word and translating it to something the owner would find offensive, especially if that owner was a minor.
Menno, I see what you're saying, thanks. This may be 3 years late, but there problem is still here and it IS a problem. How hard would it be to install a language filter option? In this way parents could choose to censor their children or themselves. Google is absolutely forcing censorship and making their product less efficient in the process. In my opinion, it could be seen as a violation of the U.S.'s constitutional right to free speech. Fortunately for google, the constitution doesn't hold any weight any more, and hey, it's their phone. However, I paid about $400 for my evo, and I'm having censorship forced on me. That's not really fair. This is a problem of priciple which is way worse than a technical fault. I do enjoy my evo, but I'll be swapping to an Iphone as soon as contract is up if there's no change to this. Also, I'll be posting in threads here and there, and seeing to it that my friend are made aware of it. Not because I necessarily want to curse like a sailor, but because I want the FREEDOM to do so if I please.

P.S. fresh ground dunkin doughnut beans with filtered water ;-)

highjakker

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
i realized this the first night i got my X. i was trying to post on Fb about it and i wanted to say "Droid X B!tches!" but it kept coming up as "hitches" lol i kept retyping it thinking i just wasn't used to the virtual keyboard until i finally realized what was going on, lol.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Mudvayne, you are correct. I use Vlingo and it does have a filter you can turn on/off. That actually just hides the offensive word(s) with asterisks. I have mine set to OFF. ;)

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
i realized this the first night i got my X. i was trying to post on Fb about it and i wanted to say "Droid X B!tches!" but it kept coming up as "hitches" lol i kept retyping it thinking i just wasn't used to the virtual keyboard until i finally realized what was going on, lol.

You can add all them fun words they left out for your text when you type so it wont auto correct them to something silly. The speech to Tex is what wont work. Words come up as ####

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it the DX or the web site(s) being used?

Not that I advocate the use of such language....... :D

Settings/Voice Input & Output/Voice Recognizer Settings/Block Offensive Words

If you uncheck the Block Offensiive Words the DX will do what you want (at least in Notes, emails etc).

After you are done, don't forget to wash out your poddy mouths with soap. ;)

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I curse in Speech to Text all the time...

Yeah I started this Thread back when we still had Eclair not realizing it was a Froyo only feature to turn off the Block. I gotta say Im shocked that someone found this thread. I though it was buried forever.

Eric Jacques

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Your saying t's not censorship.....F******* AMERICANS ..... Saying they for free speech but only the free speech they agree with. F****** PURITAINS....EAT S*** AND DIE!!!!!!!

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I feel dumb too (liking a two-year-old post), when I looked under "today's posts" I guess I just assumed it was recent . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21