What fun uses are there for an old droid x?

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, long time no post. Glad to be back! So here it is, I'm switching to an S3 after Xmas and I'm wondering what you guys do with your old smartphones? What are good things to do with a phone with no service so cant use the radio or GPS anymore? I thought about using it as a standalone media storage device but there is a ton of room on the S3. Any fun hacks or ideas?

Thanks in advance, TPL

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
What I did with my droid x was use it as a paperweight. I thought about using it for just storing music on it, but the S3 has more than enough room for all that. Another idea I had was to keep it in the car to use as a spare flashlight. I didnt see any point in doing anything else with it. It has been a handy flashlight though. Love the dual LED lights!

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I know the S3 has a lot of storage, but i feel like there has to be something valuable I can do with the little guy. Hes just been thru so much and been so useful I hate to see it turned into a paperweight when there is so much hardware in the phone. It may not make calls but it has bluetooth and wifi still. Can the gps work without a service contract? If so I may just make it a car dock. :D --EDIT-- No I just read that the gps uses data so I answered that question lol.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
When I was no longer on contract, I was still using it with my wifi for looking up directions on google maps, surfing the web and even shopping online. I guess I have an easier time parting with it because we (droid x & I) didn't get along. It was more trouble than a joyful experience. It woul d constantly reboot and run out of RAM. I couldn't really have too many apps running.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know the S3 has a lot of storage, but i feel like there has to be something valuable I can do with the little guy. Hes just been thru so much and been so useful I hate to see it turned into a paperweight when there is so much hardware in the phone. It may not make calls but it has bluetooth and wifi still. Can the gps work without a service contract? If so I may just make it a car dock. :D --EDIT-- No I just read that the gps uses data so I answered that question lol.
Get the Garmin or other Nav software that stores the maps onboard. You'll only need a data connection for the setup download, which can (should, in this case since we're talking about maybe a gig of data) be done over WiFi.

Then again, since you can do that with the GS3, I'm not seeing any reason to keep the X except as an emergency spare. Is there a child in your life that could use it as a first phone?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I use mine as a streaming device using the hdmi out to my tv. I mostly use it for Netflix but I have also used it to play old school NES and SNES games on my tv. Just pair a couple of wiimotes to it and it's good to go. I also use it around the house to stream music so I can still use my phone without interrupting the music if I need to reply to a text or something.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cadis12

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I recently gave mine to my 5 year old. I put Skype on it and now she can call grandma from "her" phone. She thinks she making "real" calls from her own phone now.
Damn kids these days are spoiled...

Redneck Bubba

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
You can still make call and text over wifi with free apps like google voice and talkatone. The FM radio still works. You can download an app called copilot, and you can use it for gps nav. It's lots of fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt