1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid X initial setup tips for dummies?

I've looked over the Faq here, and don't see anything specific to the DX.

(It would be nice to see a "DX setup for dummies" stickied thread here.)

We are new to the whole smart phone scene.

Once we transfer our contact list over the the phone, and start sending MP3s over, what utlity app does it not come with we should grab right away, and what optimisation tips should we do right away?

(Our phones are due to arrive by noon tomorrow.)

Another related setup question on the DX.. on our ENV2s, we dumped all MP3 files into one folder, and the phone sorted the albums automatically.. is this how you upload music to the X as well, or do you leave albums in thier own folder (Or rather CAN you)?

A huge music issue on the ENV2 phones, is that you had to strip out the artist info in order to get the phone to sort albums properly. I assue music playback has now been fixed on something this advanced, so we can shuffle play by artist, genre, album, or playlist?

I also haven't seen a mention anywhere... does the DX has any equalizer functions for sound/music playback? I read the volume on it's speakers is a bit low compared to other phones.. how is the bluetooth headset volume?

We are trying to educate ourselves some in advance, so setup goes easily. Any newbie DX tips would be appreciated!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

first tip: before you get the phone, try and upload your contact list to your gmail account. if you have a BB, you can d/l an app called google sync that will do this. you can always put them in your gmail manually too (which is what i did before i got my moto droid).

as far as a file utility app, astro is the way to go. allows for super easy management of your sd card right on your phone.

album sort question, yes, you can leave albums in their own folders and just dump those folders in the media>music folder on your sd card.

as far as helpful tips and tricks, cruise there forums; especially the android apps and this very droid x forums. there are a lot of helpful threads, especially the sticky threads that will help with optimization for your x
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gareee View Post
    I've looked over the Faq here, and don't see anything specific to the DX.

Once we transfer our contact list over the the phone, and start sending MP3s over, what utlity app does it not come with we should grab right away, and what optimisation tips should we do right away?

Another related setup question on the DX.. on our ENV2s, we dumped all MP3 files into one folder, and the phone sorted the albums automatically.. is this how you upload music to the X as well, or do you leave albums in thier own folder (Or rather CAN you)?

A huge music issue on the ENV2 phones, is that you had to strip out the artist info in order to get the phone to sort albums properly. I assue music playback has now been fixed on something this advanced, so we can shuffle play by artist, genre, album, or playlist?

I also haven't seen a mention anywhere... does the DX has any equalizer functions for sound/music playback? I read the volume on it's speakers is a bit low compared to other phones.. how is the bluetooth headset volume?

We are trying to educate ourselves some in advance, so setup goes easily. Any newbie DX tips would be appreciated!
    The entire FAQ was written for the Droid X

The easiest way to sync music is to use IMHO. It will sync over album art and retain the tags associated with each of your songs. If you do have problems synching album art, for some reason, you can use a .99 app called Art Grabber from the market.

There is indeed an equalizer function on the X. One of (if not the only) Android phone, that I'm aware of that has one.

I would also recommend downloading and skimming through the user guide, which I also included in the FAQ.

The initial setup process is fairly straightforward, since the phone walks you through setting up all your accounts. There's even a Home Screen Tips widget on your home screen, that when pressed, will give you tips on working with the homescreens.

Last but not least, there's a program on the phone called "Help Center". If you open it, it has Guided Tours, Tips & Tricks, the User Guide, and FAQ's.

There are some guidelines about what to put on your phone but it varies. It relly depends on what YOU want out of the phone. Being a multimedia buff I needed a nice player that handled video, audio etc. Second I downloaded Google Places which is an awesome app, then some games and some News bundles. So your needs will be different so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    Droid Incredible: Canceled
    X Ordered: 7/6
    Promised: 7/16
    Delivered: 7/16

Set up multiple Gmail accounts on your Droid X

The number one thing I did was FOLLOW the instruction sheet that came with the phone. I had a Blackberry and just downloaded Backup Assistant to my BB. Run it. SHut off BB, turn on Droid X, Activate. You don't have to do the *228 junk as the phone is setup for activation right when you get it. Install backup assistant on droid, sync and you're good to go. It updated all contacts, then I installed Facebook and it auto synced everything there too.

Music, I drag and drop music to my droid the same way I did BB. Movies work on both phones but the Droid screen is SOOO much bigger and better. Makes watching movies worth it rather than sitting in an airport with nothing else to do. Good Luck

If you want to play music on the phone, you absolutely need to used the cubed music player: .
    It's way better than the stock player and it will grab album art for you. Just drag your files into the Music folder on your sd card and you're good to go.
    Thanked by: