For those of you with poor battery performance...

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
How can you tell if it is? Will the 3G icon with up/down arrows in notification bar change to 2G?

Because I can tell you right now, I was/am having poor battery life at home, and with my old LG Voyager it showed 3G and 1x signal at the same time and my 1x signal here is horrendous while my 3G signal is excellent. I think that my phone constantly trying to hold a 1x signal (used for SMS/Voice) is whats causing my battery life to be so poor.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, i have almost no 3g at home, and very little 1x. I rely on wifi while at home. I have enough 1x that i can make and receive calls, but you can forget about data.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
How can you tell if it is? Will the 3G icon with up/down arrows in notification bar change to 2G?

Because I can tell you right now, I was/am having poor battery life at home, and with my old LG Voyager it showed 3G and 1x signal at the same time and my 1x signal here is horrendous while my 3G signal is excellent. I think that my phone constantly trying to hold a 1x signal (used for SMS/Voice) is whats causing my battery life to be so poor.

3G icon = 3G
2G icon = 1x

Most of the newer smartphones use this designation and do not show both at the same time.

The icon will always switch to 1x while on a voice call, and/or when you are sending or receiving a text message. If it's flipping back and forth outside of those parameters (and your old VZW phone did not do that) then there's a bigger problem with the phone.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ive never seen my X say 1X. It either shows the 3G, or the signal bars with no symbol.

When theres no symbol there at all, I know it still works because I have at least 1 bar of signal, and can still make/receive phone calls.

Anyone else's like this?

problem0atique

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I too have yet to see the 1x symbol on my phone and only see signal bars when the 3G icon is missing (a rare event). Doesn't seem to effect performance though

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It drains the phone super fast if the radio is constantly switching between 3G and 1X. Might be why some of you experience such poor battery performance.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Scratch that - it definitely has a 1x icon. I saw it for myself today.

Yes I have seen it also, and I do concur that this is what kills the battery. I believe 1x and 3G ARE ran at the sametime, because 3G is only used for data, and voice/sms are not 3G. At least I'm pretty sure they're not as with my old LG Voyager when I was in my house with 3-5 bars for 3G (EVDO) but 0-1 bars for 1x it would take time for a good enough signal to send texts/calls to connect. However if I went somewhere where my 3G signal was non-existent but I had plenty of 1x bars I could send texts or make calls instantly. So I am almost positive 99.999% that both 1x and 3G are active at all times, and are relied upon for total system usage.

However since 3G is the primary data network on a smartphone it is only necessary to show this signal at all times. Here's something to try though:

1: Check your 3G signal and make either a mental or paper note of your bars
2: Dial a number to whomever, and watch the signal reception/data network icon
3: They should change to no 3G icon and you may see a difference in bars.

I have tested this with my girlfriends and my Droid X sitting side by side and each time the number of bars changes to reflect the difference in signal from 1x to 3G and vice versa, and the icon for 3G is dropped, which imo is a clear indication that networks are being changed. I wish there was a way to display the signal from both networks simultaneously as since common features rely upon it it helps to have a clear reason why your texts or phone calls may not be going through...

But back onto the topic of battery life, yes this had MAJOR affects on my LG Voyager Titaniums battery life. Once I left my house and was in an area where I had ample 1x and 3G signal my battery held charge well. Walk into my houses 1x dead-zone, battery could drain in a few hours. I think this is a definite fault of quickly draining batteries and will go down on record as stating that this phone DOES have exceptional battery life. You must factor in outside variables such as this signal issue which affects all phones, and is not a flaw in the Droid X's circuitry. Just my 2?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Just posting an update to this as I have been monitoring it over the last couple days.

So last night I unplugged my phone when it hit full charge. Had it in smart mode (default settings) sitting on my desk. I literally unplugged it at 100% and put it down. Woke up expecting to see 90% minimum, maybe even 100%, nope to neither. It was sitting on 80%. No I didn't sleep for 15 hours, I slept for 7. So I went into the battery manager right away, and sure enough "Cell Standby" was claiming over 70% of my battery life, with "Cell Idle" taking around 20% and "Display" taking another 10% or so.

When I pressed on Cell Standby, it said "Time spent with no signal: 60%" so basically this means for the full 7 hours my phone was in a 60/40 ratio of time spent without signal:time trying to just barely hold onto signal. And yep, it certainly has a bad effect on your battery. I'd say being in an area with no 1x signal for 7 hours is about the same as using your screen with general usage for about 4 hours. So my suggestion (which it does say when you press on Cell Standby) is that if you know you're going to be somewhere for many hours at a time with poor 1x signal, do yourself a favor and go ahead and enable airplane mode. Yeah it sucks, but its better to hold a charge, especially if you're just hanging out somewhere and don't really need to use the phone.

Anyways glad to easily say that between knowing this and now having the OTA update 604 with the new battery indicator, all my unrest as to what the scoop is with the true battery potential of this phone has been put to ease. These phones and batteries do rock, and putting in a bigger battery can only make it better :)

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
am i reading this right? if i use the Smart Mode and if im idle for more than 15min the data is turned off (3G service) but can still receive calls?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
hey Dubbayoo, where'd you get that extender? My old friend I worked with at Circuit City, now a manager at a VZW store, used to talk about them but I haven't heard about them since. Mind sharing the info, as my 1x signal at home is just downright bad :(