For those with bad battery life try this

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been having horrible battery life on my phone over the past few days. My phone died today after only a few hours, came home and charged it to 20% then did a battery pull, went from 20% to 60%! Something is screwed up. I'm just wondering why some people are having the problems and not others?

Will this new update fix this?

11b2p

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Noob Question Here...

Doesn't the battery have some chip in it that "communicates" the battery level to the phone?

I heard some where that the battery levels indicated on the phone may not be accurate to the actual level of charge in the battery.

Running the battery down to the point the phone shuts down then fully re-charging the battery better "syncs" the actual level of the battery to the phone display.

(I do not mean conditioning. Lithium-ion batteries do not need conditioning.)

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the battery have some chip in it that "communicates" the battery level to the phone?

I heard some where that the battery levels indicated on the phone may not be accurate to the actual level of charge in the battery.

Running the battery down to the point the phone shuts down then fully re-charging the battery better "syncs" the actual level of the battery to the phone display.

(I do not mean conditioning. Lithium-ion batteries do not need conditioning.)

This is true but even after doing that, I think there are still inaccurate readings on the Droid X (hence the update).

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I noticed alot of wierd battery levels this weekend. I had the phone on the car charger for a couple hours and the charge % only went from 20% to 40%.......it didn't even move for the 1st hour or so!

elvisofaces

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I too have removed the battery and from what i thought was a drained phone. Once i reinserted the battery the the meter jumped to 40-50%. I have also heard if you have a ATK task killer app it can cause battery drain cause our X already has its own app killer in the OS.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm this too. Today my battery dropped from full charge to about 40% in around 5 hours (only about 25% of that time saw action and even then it was just playing robot defense), so I decide lets restart the phone cuz the game was getting laggy. First thing I notice on restart, battery meter is almost full... Sure enough checked battery under phone status: 80% :O

So yeah lets hope this ota update fixes this because after that bonus battery life reboot I've been using the phone nonstop for the last 4 hours heavy usage (pandora, games and web browsing in performance mode with wifi and I'm only at 50% lol so its a good thing that the battery DOES really hold a kickass charge, its just matter of the darn thing seeing the real charge :/ lets keep our fingers crossed today

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I have also heard if you have a ATK task killer app it can cause battery drain cause our X already has its own app killer in the OS.
The presence of ATK has no impact on Droid battery life. How ATK is employed by the user might. Accidentally closing needed processes using ATK may increases battery usage. Not closing highly active yet not needed background processes will cause accelerated battery drain, which is a good reason to have and use ATK.

The Android OS is a highly flexible system. With increased flexibility comes increased complexity.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This must be why reviewers got such mixed results on battery life of the phone and why some people are reporting amazing life, others terrible life, and others even more mixed results.

The update will most likely fix the issue. If it doesn't, then maybe Verizon will just make the battery icon look bigger so that everyone just thinks they have better battery life than they actually do. iPhone 4 signal bars to rise in first iOS update

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I am an honest man and I can admit when I am wrong.

A few days ago, I said the Droid X was not all that great. Well, I have done what a few here have suggested regarding the battery by shutting it down when I hit for example....50%. When you do that, it goes up to 70 or 80%. There is clearly a software glitch with the battery meter and how it shuts down your phone prematurely.

Example of what I mean: Yesterday, I unplugged my phone at 7:30 and I was at 100%. Within 5 minutes, it was down to 90%. I drove my daughter to a softball tournament which was about an hour of drive time and was listeing to Youtubes via my phone the whole time. When we arrived, it was at 80%. I did a bunch of surfing and text messages for about an hour and got it to 50% at around Noon. I shutdown the phone and restarted and it went to 70% and stayed there till 6:30 PM. When I got home at 7:30, it was still at 70%. I continued to make calls and do some moderate data usage till aout Midnight and went to bed with the phone at 40%. I woke up and it was still at 40%. It is now 9:30 AM and the battery finally went yellow with 30% so I decided to plug it in. Keep in mind that for the first time ever, I did not have GPS on the whole day. I used it very little but I used it.

In summary: The battery lasted from Sunday starting at 7:30 AM till Monday to 9:30 AM( where I plugged in at 30%.
If the software that comes out is fixing the meter and my phone does what it did yesterday and today, I will admit the phone is a beast!

Sangiovese

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Glad I read this thread. My battery went from 100% to 40% in just a few hours of light to moderate web/email use and no phone calls. Searched the forum for battery issues, came upon this thread and then turned the X off and then back on. The level jumped from 40% to 80%. Thanks for the tip.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, had terrible battery life even after calibrating the phone to the battery by playing videos at full brightness until it powered itself off, then charged fully. Tried killing the phone at 40% and it went to 70% then dropped off 10% every couple hours. Approximately 30hrs projected life with moderate usage. I'm alot happier now. Hoping the software update negates the need for other users to power off the phone.

Amazing they launched with a bug like this. Especially since they've already rolled out 604 before it even launched. Wonder why they didn't have the update available on the 15th?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc