Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question on custom launchers

So, lots of information on the forums on people using custom launchers, but most of the information I've seen on the benefits were older discussions (e.g. getting more screen pages than on the original Droid).

So I'd really appreciate it if those of you using a custom launcher (or just those in-the-know) could fill me in on what the benefits are relative to the launcher on the X (and which ones you are using).

Thanks!

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I'm currently using launcher pro. i like that it has the phone, contacts, app drawer, text, and brower icons docked at the bottom and they are slightly transparent. it's a very clean look. also, on widescreen devices, LP will allow you to display five rows of icons/widgets, which is perfect for a page dedicated to rss feeds or something similar. also, when you stack five rows, there is a lot less wasted space between widgets, which also refines the look a bit. the transitions between pages are very smooth, and there's a cool "fly in" animation when exiting the app drawer.

hoped that helps...
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That does...I hadn't realized the launcher also controlled the transitions between pages (I did realize the bit about spacing, but hadn't thought through the benefits all the way). Very cool, thanks!

Anyone else on what/why they're using a custom launcher?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ragingxtc View Post
    I'm currently using launcher pro. i like that it has the phone, contacts, app drawer, text, and brower icons docked at the bottom and they are slightly transparent. it's a very clean look. also, on widescreen devices, LP will allow you to display five rows of icons/widgets, which is perfect for a page dedicated to rss feeds or something similar. also, when you stack five rows, there is a lot less wasted space between widgets, which also refines the look a bit. the transitions between pages are very smooth, and there's a cool "fly in" animation when exiting the app drawer.

hoped that helps...
    I don't know if you realized or not, but did you know that the semi-transparent icons at the bottom are customizable? I'm using LauncherPro also and this is the main reason. I didn't see any reason for the stock launcher to have the phone icon and the contacts icon. With LauncherPro I can have anything down there that I want.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

I found Launcher Pro to be the best of the two top launchers, but it an it's competitors break some of Motorola widgets (specifically the Contact Quick Task) which I like and haves whole screen dedicated to these. If someone has an alternative to this, let me know. I have 1000 contacts so I don't like the search and find option.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by lxadoz104 View Post
    I found Launcher Pro to be the best of the two top launchers, but it an it's competitors break some of Motorola widgets (specifically the Contact Quick Task) which I like and haves whole screen dedicated to these. If someone has an alternative to this, let me know. I have 1000 contacts so I don't like the search and find option.
    Hey man, pretty sure with Launcher Pro (I'm using the BETA on my X) you can "scroll" the dock icons left or right and get a solid like 10+ extra shortcuts that you can set to anything. So if you want a few quick task contacts you can toss them on the scrolling dock buttons. Give it a shot and see how you like it
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Hey man, pretty sure with Launcher Pro (I'm using the BETA on my X) you can "scroll" the dock icons left or right and get a solid like 10+ extra shortcuts that you can set to anything. So if you want a few quick task contacts you can toss them on the scrolling dock buttons. Give it a shot and see how you like it

you beat me to it! i currently only have it set to one dock. it didn't occur to me that one could use it for contacts... good idea.

I have thought about using the Launcher, but I am not sure if I really care that much about what is in the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingxtc View Post
    you beat me to it! i currently only have it set to one dock. it didn't occur to me that one could use it for contacts... good idea.
    Haha np. Loving this app! It not only adds functionality, it sped up my UI as well!. Woot woot! lol

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Re: Question on custom launchers

How do you resize widgets in launcher pro or adw? I don't think motos calendar widget is too bad but when i add it on the launcher pro it gives me a column calendar, i like it to stretch out horizontally.

Is this because it is a moto widget like the contacts widget ( those seem to be having problems)

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM4DXGB, Stock Rooted,

I don't think you can resize widgets outside of the stock moto launcher. I wondered the same thing for a bit.