Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 3G Hotspot - Dropping Connection

I am using the 3G Hotspot to tether my iPad. I am lucky if the iPad can stay connected to the hotspot for more than a few minutes before it drops the wifi signal.

The iPad works great with my home wifi or other public wifi access points ie Starbucks, Panera.

Anybody else having issues?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm very disappointed in the speed of the hotspot connection. I'm getting .80 Mbps download and .20 Mbps upload speeds, that's too slow for me to use it for work (I need to do file transfers). What speeds are others getting?

Hmm I'm interested in others experience with this. I have a mifi for my Ipad and vie been thinking about canceling and doing the dx hotspot, but if it's not good I might just keep the mifi

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

Default Re: 3G Hotspot - Dropping Connection

i am also getting very poor speeds. today it took over 2 minutes to upload 600 k file. i m pretty disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by skipamy View Post
    I'm very disappointed in the speed of the hotspot connection. I'm getting .80 Mbps download and .20 Mbps upload speeds, that's too slow for me to use it for work (I need to do file transfers). What speeds are others getting?

My speed via free tethering (root):

I don't know if this is slow or fast, as this is my first tethering experience.

A couple more tests just now:

Last edited by pinhead875; 07-24-2010 at 12:38 AM.

That's the same speed I'm getting. Has anyone found Verizon documentation on the speeds?

Mine drops after about 10 min with my ipad. Speed seemed ok but I was just surfing.

I'll try with my thinkpad tomorrow.

Verizon iPHone
    DROIDX

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

I seem to be able to send the same file from the phone in about 1/5th the time. I called verizon tech and they didn't have an answer. uggg
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,020 Global Posts

So I take it the $20 per month is not worth it.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    So I take it the $20 per month is not worth it.
    I am going to root it tonight and try another option. I will report back. Its good for data down for me. very fast surfing. sending data its not so good.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

verizon tech support called me back this afternoon and confirmed there is a software problem with the wifi app. they said they are working on it but could not give me a date of when it would be fixed

I'm pretty pissed right now. Finally got around to trying my thinkpad and it only stayed connected for 2 minutes. It's greyed out in the notification bar and says "3G Data link lost".

I did manage run a quick speed test. I'm really close to a tower so full signal.

I am testing out my HotSpot connection. I am streaming a Netflix movie and it is 40mins right now with no interruption.