What is the deal with these phone shortages?

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
X and Inc are not due to ship until August now per vzw site. We all understand that the Inc had a shortage of screens issue, whats the deal with the X? I would have thought they would of made a ton to avoid the Inc problem? But I guess not.

Also, as they change the order dates farther back each day are you guys who ordered getting them on the original push back dates? (7/23,7,27) or are they making you wait until the new date?

mhutsell3

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Where do you go to see these dates? I ordered mine at 9 AM on the 15th and was told I would have it by the weekend, Monday at the latest, now when I call and ask they tell me it won't ship till the 27th. I don't get it, I ordered it on the day the thing came out. Really getting stressful since my Storm Locks completely up at least 20 times a day. :mad:

tduffysd

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I just cannot understand this. If verizon is truly out to beat AT&T and it's popular iphone, how does it intend on doing so when their 2 newest android devices are not even available to purchase???? How can you compete with how many iphones apple sold on release day if you don't have any inventory??????

tduffysd

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Another thing, Verizon better not try to blame the economy on any shortcomings it may have. It's pretty hard to sell phones and make a profit when YOU DON'T HAVE ANY INVENTORY!!

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Where do you go to see these dates? I ordered mine at 9 AM on the 15th and was told I would have it by the weekend, Monday at the latest, now when I call and ask they tell me it won't ship till the 27th. I don't get it, I ordered it on the day the thing came out. Really getting stressful since my Storm Locks completely up at least 20 times a day. :mad:

Check verizon website and look at the phones, there is a red circle on them with the date they are available. It has changed 3 times already within 5 days.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Another thing, Verizon better not try to blame the economy on any shortcomings it may have. It's pretty hard to sell phones and make a profit when YOU DON'T HAVE ANY INVENTORY!!

lol no ****, how can you blame the economy, everyone is still purchasing these phones .. obviously because there sold out. After the incredible problem this should have never happened to the X.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
DX/DINC/Storm/HD2 != Apple. People need to understand that day one sales on any other phone device can not happen the way it happens on the Iphone.

The Iphone is a single device, using a single OS, sold by a single company, on a single telecom. They can buy up 3 Million phones worth of parts for a Day one release knowing that they will sell all 3 million within months.

None of the other phones have that luxury. Even when they know that demand is going to be high, they can only stockpile so many of the phones before shipping it out and selling them because if they wait the 6 months after production starts that Apple originally would they take the chance of a "better" phone coming out. They can't have super high output lines either because chances are that after the original interest period sales will taper off and also at any time a "better" phone came out.

As much as people hate how low the Dinc stock is. For HTC its better having too little then having them over produce and the Dx come out causing them to shut down lines early and hold stock of a phone that they have to drastic price cuts on to push,.

mhutsell3

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The Iphone is a single device, using a single OS, sold by a single company, on a single telecom. They can buy up 3 Million phones worth of parts for a Day one release knowing that they will sell all 3 million within months.

I hear what you are saying but, they knew the DINC was still backordered since it was released in what April? These are one phone with one OS and they are on one carrier. So I'm not seeing your point. DINC / Dx / Storm I / Storm II were one device with only one possible OS and on one carrier so I think the logic is that they should have been able to avoid this problem.

If a company like Apple can make up the units they need for a launch then for crying out loud a company the size of Motorola should be able to as well.

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is absolutely outrageous! Is VZW just guessing at this point about when they THINK the phones will ship, are they bypassing online orders and shipping to stores first to refill their inventory?? Or will the orders placed and processed on 7/15 actually ship by 7/23?
I placed my order online at 1:30pm EST on 7/15 for overnight delivery. When I called Friday afternoon after I hadn't received they said it should arrive by Monday, 7/19. Nothing arrived, so I called again and was told it should SHIP, by the latest 7/23. I haven't called back since Monday morning, but I've seen the shipping dates on the website change from 7/27 to 8/3. What the hell is going on?! Are there any VZW reps perusing these boards that can provide some insight on what's going on??

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

It's hard not to blame the economy. They can't pull components out of their butts. Companies across the electronics industry who buy components from outside suppliers are at the mercy of those suppliers. When business was way down, many component suppliers went under or severely cut back. Now that business is picking up, they're having a hard time keeping up with demand. Companies are having to compete for what supply is available. Safety critical automotive electronics manufacturers have had to charter flights to bring in components from suppliers so they can build enough parts to keep from shutting down customers. Many of these same components are used in consumer electronics as well. The only way to build up inventory is to delay new launches. I've been hearing that it could be a year or more before some component suppliers are able to get their heads above water. Would you have rather waited for the Droid X to launch next year?

I have a different perspective because I work in an industry that is heavily affected by component shortages. I'm sure the component suppliers wish they could be building enough to meet demand, but they have to be careful... if you build up too fast and people stop buying cars again, all of that could come crashing right back down.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I hear what you are saying but, they knew the DINC was still backordered since it was released in what April? These are one phone with one OS and they are on one carrier. So I'm not seeing your point. DINC / Dx / Storm I / Storm II were one device with only one possible OS and on one carrier so I think the logic is that they should have been able to avoid this problem.

If a company like Apple can make up the units they need for a launch then for crying out loud a company the size of Motorola should be able to as well.

Motorola would be taking a financial risks because of the potential for decreasing sales or lackluster initial release. Apple for example knows that there are billions of little Apple Lemmings out there and basically puts the company on the line for every Iphone release. Practically buying up stock of the next phones parts as soon as the first starts selling.

Motorola on the other hand develops a phone a year before it comes out. Relies on Google getting them a working OS. Develop their own software for it. Project competitive features of other phones both in their market and out. If Motorola, counted for the decreased interest of the phone outside the initial rush period, they would have to hold the phone for 4-7 months after production started just to have stock to make sure everyone who wants the phone has one. What would happen then? 4-7 Months from now HTC would have a 4.3" with Uni-body aluminum frame with a better UI. If they tried to rush the production they would have to retool lines for the Dx, produce a bunch, hire and lay-off workers between start and finish, and then retool the line. If they went with a just plain high output, they would have so much extra stock that the DX would be considered a failure and nothing like it would be made again.

The way almost all of these non Iphone releases are going to be the same. Design phone, Hold stock for 30-45 days after start of major production. Major production consists of lines projected to keep the phone in stock long term during its production period, and not the original rush period. If demand is heavy early then they will be mostly sold out. As those people get their phone demand drops off and supply~Demand. We saw the exact same thing happen with the DS, DSI, WII, X360, and any other big release not the PS3.

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I hope that they can stock this device. I have 12 deposits between the 2 different models. Trust me the sales people want these phones as much as anyone else wants them.

Keep in mind Im not counting the people that walk out without the device or deposits.

VDoubleUVR6

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Still waiting on mine...ordered 6:45am on the 15th. Called Friday and said by the 23rd, called yesterday morning and they said by the 27th. Fed up with that response I waited till I got home and called again and spoke with a rep who said by her notes and by my order date I should see it by the 23rd and that she will call me on the 23rd to see if I have the phone and will work a credit to my account because of this mess IF i received it by the 23rd. I really hope she follows through with her statement.

mhutsell3

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Motorola would be taking a financial risks because of the potential for decreasing sales or lackluster initial release. Apple for example knows that there are billions of little Apple Lemmings out there and basically puts the company on the line for every Iphone release. Practically buying up stock of the next phones parts as soon as the first starts selling.

Ok I see your point, It is sort of similar to what we do in the Automotive Industry. We try to build up cars ahead of the actual public launch of a vehicle much like we recently did with the Jeep GC. We had 4000 vehicles on day one when the public could actually buy them, we now have about 130 days of orders for them.

So while the industry Phone -vs- Auto is a little different I see similarities and understand your point about the i-Phone.

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
^^^ what he said. The economy issues trickled down to every supplier and it's hurting overall demand for everyone.

Except Apple which is in a world of it's own.

powermanaf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I called to order my Droid X today and asked the representative why the shipment date kept getting delayed. They informed me that it wasn't due to lack of inventory but that it was due to orders being backed up.

The guy said that he ordered his X at 12:01 a.m. the day of the launch and that any orders placed after about 2:00 a.m. are now backordered. He also said that the phone is being ordered at a rate of 2 orders per minute all across the country. That's 2,880 orders a day that they have to process.

Now I don't know if that's really what is causing the delay, all I know if that I now have until September 3rd to see if anything new comes out and see if I want to exchange it for that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca