why is gmail separate from all the other emails?

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 different emails, a yahoo, a corporate exchange, and a gmail. the yahoo and the exchange (along with facebook and texts) all show up in the "universal inbox" application within the "messaging" folder. Why is Gmail all by itself? it seems like the universal inbox has a better integration with the phone than the gmail does. am I doing something wrong? I'd really like to be able to check all my email in one spot. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
it is separate because the gmail app has some extra features that are unique to it. plus, i am sure that google, who develops android, would prefer you use gmail over anything else

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
What are the added feautures of using gmail? I am new to gmail and haven't adopted to it. I barely use right now.....as I've had my main email for over a decade.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Agree with the OP, it really doesn't make sense. So now I need three email apps because google didn't support the various group policies many corporations require to access their exchange servers.
I have my gmail app, my non-gmail app and touchdown. If apple can provide a unified inbox and a single email app why can't google?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree that it offers extra features, but they couldn't have a menu that opens with different options based on the email account origination? I feel like that should be possible.

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If you don't like the gmail app (like me), than DON'T USE IT.

I find the text in the gmail app to be too small (hey, I have vision problems, which is what made this phone so attractive to me. ;) ), and the gmail app has no option to scale the text, but the other email client does. Furthermore, they've made it really easy to set up, just put in your gmail username and password (make sure you have the @gmail.com at the end of your username), and it sets up all of the imap/smtp/ssl connections for you (you can set it up manually if you like).

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I would like to find a way for my gmail email to work like it did on my Blackberry... I got a copy on the phone and a copy in my gmail inbox. Granted it was another copy to delete, but since I use Thunderbird to download my mail via POP, I have to be sure to close it if I go somewhere, otherwise I never see my email unless I switch it to All Mail view, which can be annoying.

I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it, but it'd be nice if there was.

Rob

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not 100% on this, but I'm fairly sure that if you access gmail through the email client you do not get push gmail. This was the way it was on the droid, and it appears to be the same from the settings menu on the dx.

tightrolltony

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Ahh SSSSS Push It!

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm fairly sure that if you access gmail through the email client you do not get push gmail. This was the way it was on the droid, and it appears to be the same from the settings menu on the dx.

This is my concern. I love the email client better than the gmail client because the one inbox is highly appealing, and the black background I absolutely love (Vibrant). However, email client does not PUSH like the gmail client does. I would like to know if the email client has the option to PUSH somewhere that I am unaware of.

As far as the OP, go to the Gmail client > Menu > Settings > Email Notifications. You can turn off the notifications icon at the top and just use the email client as I have done.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would like to find a way for my gmail email to work like it did on my Blackberry... I got a copy on the phone and a copy in my gmail inbox. Granted it was another copy to delete, but since I use Thunderbird to download my mail via POP, I have to be sure to close it if I go somewhere, otherwise I never see my email unless I switch it to All Mail view, which can be annoying.

I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it, but it'd be nice if there was.

Rob

I do see my email just like my blackberry on both phones its pushed and I have a copy in my gmail as well as on my phones( I got 2 phones with both connected to same gmail address.)I can't just delete the email from the phone and leave a copy on my computer however like I could my berry.I also have regular pushed popserver mail from outlook express .Kinda a back up to email if something happens to the gmail server I still get email though outlook express its linked to gmail account. :) There is a link to "how to do stuff below" beside the guy in shades if you havent seen it shows how to set some stuff up .

Last edited:

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing that bothers me is that the email application does not seem to allow for searching, whereas the gmail one does. I'd love to get all of my mail back in one box, as I used the unified inbox on iOS4 for a month before the Droid X launched and it was very nice. I too have multiple email accounts - two Google email accounts (one gmail, one google apps account) and one exchange account, and having them be in two separate email environments feels very awkward.