1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Protective covering over the camera lens?

While browsing , I found this little tidbit of info:

If you have taken a picture with your phone and the picture is not of the best quality, the first thing we need to check is the camera lens. Let us make sure that there is no protective covering over the camera lens. The phones ship from the factory with a protective label over the lens. Please remove this cover.
    Did you guys remove this? I can't seem to get any "protective label" to come off, and I'm pretty sure the chick at Verizon didn't remove anything before she handed it to me, but it could be a great solution to this issue.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clockvstrain View Post
    While browsing , I found this little tidbit of info:

Did you guys remove this? I can't seem to get any "protective label" to come off, and I'm pretty sure the chick at Verizon didn't remove anything before she handed it to me, but it could be a great solution to this issue.
    I didn't have a protective label over mine and I didn't see one removed for me either. My camera isn't blurry and I don't even see anything to take off. There's the glass lens protector but that's it.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Same here. Just thought it was odd that they would put that in an official FAQ

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Bought mine outright took it home no covering on my lens.

I was looking to see if mine had some kind of cover on it.....because the videos I have taken are attrocious! really grainy and not very sharp at all.

I just checked mine as well in hopes that there was an easy fix. I was holding such high hope for having a decent camera on my phone. Yes, I know it's a phone first but the camera got such good reviews. I have a dSLR and a point and shoot. I was hoping to be able to ditch the p&S and not have to carry it in the diaper bag. My indoor shots are seriously awful. Grainy as hell. There is a ton of noise even when I manually set the ISO as low as 100.
    My phone is....Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by katrina2475 View Post
    I just checked mine as well in hopes that there was an easy fix. I was holding such high hope for having a decent camera on my phone. Yes, I know it's a phone first but the camera got such good reviews. I have a dSLR and a point and shoot. I was hoping to be able to ditch the p&S and not have to carry it in the diaper bag. My indoor shots are seriously awful. Grainy as hell. There is a ton of noise even when I manually set the ISO as low as 100.
    I hadn't tried setting the ISO lower....but it is painlfully obvious that the camera does not shoot well at faster ISOs!

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    I hadn't tried setting the ISO lower....but it is painlfully obvious that the camera does not shoot well at faster ISOs!
    I love the phone enough to deal with it but I really hoped it would have been better. I suppose I can hope for a fix in the pipeline but we'll see.

Katrina,

hopefully they'll fix the 5 second delay when wanting to open the camera app.

like you, I use a DSLR and wouldn't ever get rid of it, but I was hoping that this camera phone would be good enough for quick pics.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    Katrina,

hopefully they'll fix the 5 second delay when wanting to open the camera app.

like you, I use a DSLR and wouldn't ever get rid of it, but I was hoping that this camera phone would be good enough for quick pics.
    Yeah, it is quite the delay. My primary subjects are my 3 year old and my 1 year old and they can outrun my Canon. This camera don't stand a chance. LOL

I hate to say this, but don't expect much out of this camera unless you are willing to do some work. Every photographer knows that it's not the camera but the person who operates it. If what you want is something that will automatically take excellent pictures no matter what the lighting condition or the subject is, then you might want to carry something else besides your cell phone. Now don't get me wrong, I think this camera is very capable of taking excellent photographs. Heck, I used to turn in pictures that I took on my BlackBerry Curve 8330 when I was in school for photography, and none of my professors knew until I told them I took it with my cell phone.

I can't wait to see how this thing compares to my Curve's camera.

Quote Originally Posted by powermanaf View Post
    I hate to say this, but don't expect much out of this camera unless you are willing to do some work. Every photographer knows that it's not the camera but the person who operates it. If what you want is something that will automatically take excellent pictures no matter what the lighting condition or the subject is, then you might want to carry something else besides your cell phone. Now don't get me wrong, I think this camera is very capable of taking excellent photographs. Heck, I used to turn in pictures that I took on my BlackBerry Curve 8330 when I was in school for photography, and none of my professors knew until I told them I took it with my cell phone.

I can't wait to see how this thing compares to my Curve's camera.
    I completely agree. I am talking more of grain, lack of focusing and delay in the software starting up.

I think the glass lens cover is a horrible design. I just took a look at mine to see if there was anything to pull off, and noticed it was really smudged with my fingerprints, just from using it normally. The documentation even says that it should be cleaned before using. Who's going to do that every time you want to take a photo? The glass should be recessed a little so that it's not so easy to get it so dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by katrina2475 View Post
    yeah indoor shots are horrible - outdoor shots are amazing detailed... dont know any way to fix