Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    otkeeper's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default custom ringtones

    i have the setting to use a custom ringtone but whenever my phone rings it just does a normal ring and says "call from verizon wireless" or something like that is city id the problem or something else and how do i fix it?? thanks sorry im a droid noob
  2. #2  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    I use ringdroid to make tones from my music on the sd card. click settings then soud then phone ringtone. Then click on the tone you made and it should play the tone and the circle turns green. Click ok and it should be good.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    otkeeper's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default

    also i have the missed call app and im getting double notifications on sms messages..how do i turn one off
  4. #4  

    Default

    I have some custom ringtones that I want to use on my dx. What folder on the sd card should I copy them to?
  5. #5  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    mine are in media/audio/ringtones
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    StuartV's Avatar
    Allergic to Stupid

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

    Default

    Can you have custom ringtones without having an SD card?

    I'm trying to help my dad with his X. I am a BB guy.

    My dad does not have an SD card in his phone. He had a Verizon guy help him install a custom ringtone (to replace the default ringtone, for all calls) and my dad says it was working until the next time powered phone off and back on. Now, it doesn't even show in the list of available ringtones when you go into Settings and try to set it.

    I hooked his X up to his PC and browsed around. I found a folder named ringtones and a file in it that he said was his ringtone, but I can't figure out how to get it to show up in the list of available ringtones when I go into Settings.

    Any help would be much appreciated.
  7. #7  

    Default

    We doesn't your dad have an SD card. The phone comes with one. I don't think you can access the ringtone directory stored on the internal phone memory. I could be wrong.
  8. #8  
    StuartV's Avatar
    Allergic to Stupid

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

    Default

    I don't know why he doesn't have one. I thought they came with one, too, but I didn't go with him to get the phone.

    OTOH, when I hooked it up to his PC, I could see the folders on the phone and was able to find his ringtone file and make a copy of it and rename it. After doing that and powering the phone off and back on, I was able to see it and select it as a custom alarm sound. But it still didn't show up as a ringtone for the phone ringer.
  9. #9  
    WAldenIV's Avatar
    MacGyver Wannabe

    Posts
    612 Posts

    Default

    He does have the SD card installed. It's pre-installed. You are browsing the directories of the SD card. As tntdroid already stated, the custom ringtones should be located in /media/audio/ringtones.

    The only way to copy ringtones and notification tones to the phone's internal memory is to be rooted, change the memory from "read only" to "read/write", copy the files, change back to "read only", and reboot. There is no way that a Verizon employee rooted the phone.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
    I don't know why he doesn't have one. I thought they came with one, too, but I didn't go with him to get the phone.

    OTOH, when I hooked it up to his PC, I could see the folders on the phone and was able to find his ringtone file and make a copy of it and rename it. After doing that and powering the phone off and back on, I was able to see it and select it as a custom alarm sound. But it still didn't show up as a ringtone for the phone ringer.
    First thing I would do is go back to store and get them to give you the 16gig card that should have came with device because the device is useless if you want to store any music, videos or personal information because you can not save any of this info to the internal memory..

    Second get RingoLite from market for free, it is the easiest way to set any ringer or notification alerts as default.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  11. #11  
    StuartV's Avatar
    Allergic to Stupid

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WAldenIV View Post
    He does have the SD card installed. It's pre-installed. You are browsing the directories of the SD card. As tntdroid already stated, the custom ringtones should be located in /media/audio/ringtones.

    The only way to copy ringtones and notification tones to the phone's internal memory is to be rooted, change the memory from "read only" to "read/write", copy the files, change back to "read only", and reboot. There is no way that a Verizon employee rooted the phone.
    Okay. I'll buy that. I was confused because, with my BB, the phone memory and the SD card both show up as removeable drives when connected to a PC. With my dad's X, only one removeable drive showed up.

    So, I found the ringtones folder and his ringtone is there. I copied it and gave it a new name. So, how do I get it to show up in the list of ringtones he can select from to choose a custom default ringtone?
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
    Okay. I'll buy that. I was confused because, with my BB, the phone memory and the SD card both show up as removeable drives when connected to a PC. With my dad's X, only one removeable drive showed up.

    So, I found the ringtones folder and his ringtone is there. I copied it and gave it a new name. So, how do I get it to show up in the list of ringtones he can select from to choose a custom default ringtone?
    Why did you rename it? The system look in SD/Media/Audio/Ringtones and if you rename the ringtone folder the system will not notice them.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  13. #13  
    StuartV's Avatar
    Allergic to Stupid

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

    Default

    I copied the his ringtone file and renamed the copy. The original file has a space in the name (I think). I renamed it to a name that had no spaces in it, just to make sure that wasn't the problem.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
    I copied the his ringtone file and renamed the copy. The original file has a space in the name (I think). I renamed it to a name that had no spaces in it, just to make sure that wasn't the problem.
    If you placed them in the directory and dismounted the drive, ringers should now show in the audio setting menu, if you do not see them then I suggest you restart and see if they show after that... Also check out Ringo Lite at ro simplify things because it doesn't care where the ringers are located, all you have to do is direct it to ringer in file selector option..

    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  15. #15  
    StuartV's Avatar
    Allergic to Stupid

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

    Default

    The files (original and copy with new name) are in the ringtones folder. I did the standard Windows thing to disconnect the "drive" (phone). I powered the phone off and back on. The ringtone didn't show as an option for a custom alarm sound until after I powered the phone off and back on. But it would never show as a custom ringtone for the phone ringer.

    I don't really foresee trying to tell my dad how to install or deal with an add-on apps. I thought using a Droid and setting a custom ringtone (to a file that's in the ringtones folder) would be easy.

    And, like I said in my first post, the Verizon dude set it up and it WAS working (as a ringtone - according to my dad). Then the phone rebooted and it doesn't show any more (as a ringtone for the phone ringer).

Posting Permissions

B