1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default droid x apps wont download on wifi

Hey guys, the Motorola X is my first Droid phone, but so far I have not been able to download apps on the X via wifi. It seems that they stall on the download screen, but as soon as i switch over to 3g by turning off wifi the downloads start almost instantly. Is there any thing that I am doing wrong? I am starting to believe that there's some sort of program conflict preventing the phone from downloading while on wifi. Any tips tricks or other ideas I can try?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Are you having any other sorts of browsing issues on WiFi? Have you tried rebooting your phone? Your router? Your problem isn't a common one.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

I think I may have had the same problem at one time. I'll have to give it a shot when I get home from work (no wi-fi here).
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

the wifi on the X is horrible, its fine on the droid, but bits a big one on the X. I dont kow how moto screwed it up on the X when they had it right previously.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gizzyman View Post
    the wifi on the X is horrible, its fine on the droid, but bits a big one on the X. I dont kow how moto screwed it up on the X when they had it right previously.
    My wifi has been just fine. No problems at all. I'll have to doublecheck to see if it lets me DL apps over wifi though.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

I noticed this as well. Last night while waiting for the new update to download. I had the wifi turned on and it remained at zero. But as soon as I left my house to run to the store and out of range of my router it downloaded in less than a minute.

I'm also noticing the same problem, although I just realized, it may have something to do with my firewall...does anyone know what ports the marketplace and google voice to text uses? What's also really annoying is that my 3g connectivity goes down as I coonect to wifi, so my apps won't download for quite a while after I pick them up.

Default Re: droid x apps wont download on wifi

Perhaps this is why verizon had indicated that the x users use much more data than their counterparts

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Perhaps this is why verizon had indicated that the x users use much more data than their counterparts

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Nice observation, I didn't even think about that.

Wi-fi works great for me. I'm on my wireless network while at home pretty much the whole time. No problems downloading apps over wi-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan View Post
    Wi-fi works great for me. I'm on my wireless network while at home pretty much the whole time. No problems downloading apps over wi-fi.
    Same. Haven't had a single problem with my wifi either.

ROM
    4.1.1 with Sense 4+

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. In fact just now I had to jump off WiFi to use Tapatalk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Having the same problem, which is why I AM using more data on the verizon network. Its not a huge deal for me at the moment, but if verizon shifts away from unlimited bandwidth to a tiered approach, well then that would be different. Especially if I start downloading movies and such.

I have the typical issues, wifi drops, cannot d/l apps on wifi. I've tried rebooting, and I have .604 update

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts

I can't use wifi to download anything either. This is my first phone with wifi so i have no idea how to troubleshoot it.

ROM
    4.1.1 with Sense 4+

The annoyance is that I have to go to my WiFi settings and turn it off midstream.

I do hope that Verizon will grandfather in existing accounts. That will, at least, give me two years with my X with unlimited data.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

There is a great WiFi thread stickied at the top of the Droid X forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I'm also noticing the same problem, although I just realized, it may have something to do with my firewall...does anyone know what ports the marketplace and google voice to text uses? What's also really annoying is that my 3g connectivity goes down as I coonect to wifi, so my apps won't download for quite a while after I pick them up.
    It is supposed to kill off your 3G radio when your phone is connected to WiFi. This conserves battery.

It could be firewall or security settings on the router. Check the stickied thread at the top of the Droid X. People are volunteering their router model, firmware version and security settings so that others can troubleshoot their problems.

I have had 0 problems with my WiFi other than being unable to accurately type in a massive, randomly generated Hex key.

My wifi is working great. Took a little bit to get it set up right, but I download apps using wifi all the time.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

This is just a guess, but I've experienced the same thing in my home when I'm in rooms that are away from the router. When I'm close to the router or in the same room, it seems that the connection has been dependable. Could it be a signal issue? Are you guys having this problem when you're in the same room as the router?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Can't say its a signal issue at all. I use a newer belkin wireless n+ router at home and at work a cisco wireless router. I am not sure what else to try, ive tried multiple networks. It seems that as soon as i hit 3g the downloads start.

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts

I found an open network and connected to it. I just downloaded an app over WiFi. So it must be some setting on my home router that is blocking it from downloading. I'm going to monkey around with the router when I get home.