Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default GPS not working at all.

    I've had the X since release and everything's been great, but I'm pretty sure the GPS is not working at all. It's normally about 1000-4000 meters off. I have "Use wireless networks" "Use GPS satellites" and "Enable Assisted GPS" all checked. Any combination of them produces the same results. When I turn off "Use wireless networks" it can't find me at all. I downloaded the GPS Status app and it constantly has a red rotating circle in the status area. No info about satellites at all. I've tried cycling the GPS and restarting the phone, still iffy.

    I've also downloaded the latest update.

    Any ideas?
  2. #2  

    Default

    i have the same problem

    hows your 3g working?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: GPS not working at all.

    Weird i just checked mine and it was also accurate to 5000 meters...

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    I ran a couple speed tests, my average 3g speeds are around 1500kbps download and 840 upload with pings around 130. This is my first smartphone and other than this GPS problem I'm 100% satisfied with the X.
  5. #5  
    doctorlove316's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,214 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

    Default

    I just tested my GPS and it works fine.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Draumo View Post
    I ran a couple speed tests, my average 3g speeds are around 1500kbps download and 840 upload with pings around 130. This is my first smartphone and other than this GPS problem I'm 100% satisfied with the X.

    yeah that destroys mine, im constantly stuck on 1x

    i kind of thought my gps problem and 3g problems were related

    i really hope getting a new phone fixes both problems

    if the entire dc metropolitan area is a droid x dead zone, i will be sad
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Well, damn.
  8. #8  

    Default

    On my X I have no problem with the GPS or Navigation app. However when I tried it on my girlfriends, totally different situation. Her GPS could NOT get ahold of any satellites. I find it odd because we tried her GPS on the exact same route I tried mine, and where mine connected and tracked me perfectly hers was inaccurate out 1000 meters, and couldn't keep up. It found her initially and drew us on the map, then never updated our position again until we closed the app and reloaded. Then it just kept doing the same thing. I have to tinker with hers some more to make sure it DOES work and she wasn't just having bad luck. Boo for defective hardware
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Guess I'll head to the Verizon store and see if they have any useful info for me... doubtful.
  10. #10  

    Default

    make sure you have view of the sky- dont use GPS indoors, i know for fact mine dont work inside when im at work. go outside and it works-
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    I've tried multiple areas, all with a 100% view of the sky.
  12. #12  

    Default

    restart the phone?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default

    Tried restarting, tried turning GPS on and off, tried removing battery, and tried a factory reset.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Ok Draumo I had my girlfriend try her GPS that wasn't working the other day, and apparently its working A-OK for her right now. I really don't know what the problem could be. I'd like to tell you it isn't hardware related but its always a looming possibility hopefully you get it worked out. As a side thought, can you try it at night? I have this wierd feeling my gut that peek hour operation and all the other people out there messing around with the networks might be affecting it... couldn't hurt to try right? Just to know your device is functioning and the problem isn't on your end.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    Anything's worth a try.
  16. #16  

    Default

    A stand alone GPS antenna should NOT be affected by a cellular network in any way. They are completely unrelated. GPS is a passive system that picks up signals from orbiting satellites. I can take as much as 5-10 minutes to get satellite data and the system to register and process it. Give it a good 10 minutes.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schizrade View Post
    A stand alone GPS antenna should NOT be affected by a cellular network in any way. They are completely unrelated. GPS is a passive system that picks up signals from orbiting satellites. I can take as much as 5-10 minutes to get satellite data and the system to register and process it. Give it a good 10 minutes.
    Thanks schiz for the info. As much as my technical side didn't believe it could be affected by network traffic I figured it was worth a shot anyway. It just seemed too coincidental that for me both successful attempts to use GPS were at night, and my girlfriends one failed attempt was midday in peak hours, and the coincidence felt too right and clouded my technical judgment :P

    Ah well so much for that. I guess just stand outside with a tin-foil hat on for 10 minutes Draumo and see if you make contact!
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Thanks schiz for the info. As much as my technical side didn't believe it could be affected by network traffic I figured it was worth a shot anyway. It just seemed too coincidental that for me both successful attempts to use GPS were at night, and my girlfriends one failed attempt was midday in peak hours, and the coincidence felt too right and clouded my technical judgment :P

    Ah well so much for that. I guess just stand outside with a tin-foil hat on for 10 minutes Draumo and see if you make contact!
    LOL. No problem. I have lots of experience with commercial and military grade GPS/INS systems, and they can be very fidgety at times.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Ah well so much for that. I guess just stand outside with a tin-foil hat on for 10 minutes Draumo and see if you make contact!
    I guess I'll start building my tin-foil hat and prepare to make contact.
  20. #20  

    Default

    I was also having problems all week trying to get my GPS to lock on. Some times it would find my location but other times it would never be able to find me. The thing I did notice is the GPS power widget doesn't seem to work correctly. It will turn off "Use wireless networks", "Use GPS satellites", and "Enable Assisted GPS", but when you us it to turn GPS back on it only turns on "Use GPS satellites" and leaves "Use wireless networks", and "Enable Assisted GPS" off. I think that is the reason why I was having problems.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
    I was also having problems all week trying to get my GPS to lock on. Some times it would find my location but other times it would never be able to find me. The thing I did notice is the GPS power widget doesn't seem to work correctly. It will turn off "Use wireless networks", "Use GPS satellites", and "Enable Assisted GPS", but when you us it to turn GPS back on it only turns on "Use GPS satellites" and leaves "Use wireless networks", and "Enable Assisted GPS" off. I think that is the reason why I was having problems.
    While that's definitely a glitch, that shouldn't make a difference so long as the real gps is active. It should be able to find you within 10 meters
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default

    Still no luck with mine. Phone is still viewing 0 satellites and obviously not locking on to any. I read that people who used to be Alltel customers were having this problem with the original Droid. I used to be Alltel, but I don't see how that would cause my phone to not view any satellites.
  23. #23  

    Default

    My DX has not had any trouble anytime finding sats until today. I went outside to check in Foursquare and my location wouldn't update. I closed out, toggled GPS off and back on. I waited about 10 minutes and still no go. I also opened up GPS Status app and show 3 sats but ringed in red which I believe means it sees them but has no lock. Usually they are green in this app. I opened Google maps and still nothing. I turned off the phone and turned it back on, smoked another cancer stick and still no lock. Since the sun is gone I left it on the porch and searched for this problem, read all the replies and as I am writing this I went out and got it and still no lock. I haven't installed any new apps today, nor yesterday that I can remember, but it worked fine about 3pm when I did a Foursquare check-in out in town.

    Update - As soon as I posted this the darn thing locked on while sitting by the window on my desk and is now reporting a signal. Strange.

    Update II - Upon closer inspection the "lock" it obtained was false as it showed me traveling at 42mph. It is receiving more sats now, but still with no lock. I did install the Facebook app update today so I uninstalled it (don't use it anyway, prefer touch site) and also updated Foursquare which had an update out. Still no lock, so I am back at square one. Maybe tomorrow it will be better, if not then I think I'll have a problem.
    Last edited by beasleybiz; 08-06-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Huh? Again
    Motorola RAZR > HTC PPC6800 > Blackberry Curve > Blackberry Tour> Motorola Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt> Galaxy Note 2
  24. #24  

    Default

    today i tried out my Navigation and it didnt work...
    had location and gps running at same time...
    turned off location and bam gps started to work... hrmmm
  25. #25  
    Flawson's Avatar

    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

    Default Re: GPS not working at all.

    I'll throw my name in the hat as another person with spotty gps...sometimes it works, even indoors, and sometimes it just will not work.even outdoors, after battery pulls and restarts. Never really had an inaccuracy problem, just can't tell me anything...

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B