Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Asked a rep about Froyo for the X

And he said not for another 2 months

Of course he could've been wrong... (I pray he was wrong) but even when I mentioned how Verizon gave a late summer release, he still shook his head and frowned saying nope. You'll see a few more maintenance OTA's but no 2.2 for at least 2 months.

Like I said, this was just an instore rep who could just be feeding me whatever he felt like saying, but I'd be damned if he turned out to be right...

Update 7/31/10:
    It's starting to look like this rep I spoke to was right. Motorola is still standing on their "late summer" release for Froyo, and summer ends officially around September 22nd. Considering I asked the rep on July 20th, and he said don't expect it for at least 2 more months, well 2 more months IS late summer guys

Hate to say it, but I think we have a pretty long wait still ahead of us. I know for some people 1.5 months isn't long (and in the big picture it isn't) but for someone who uses their phone on a day-to-day basis for just about anything you CAN use it for, that is an eternity. I'm really hoping they pull a fast one and release it sooner...

Update 8/5/10:
    Rep was right, early September release confirmed by Matt at the Motorola Droid X forums. See http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/d...rly-september/
    Last edited by DaRkL3AD3R; 08-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Im thinking right after the droid 2 drops

It can't happen, or I'll cry. Wait, I am crying. Damn you in-store rep!!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

moto said a while back that it would be late summer...which really probably means early fall.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was talking to my parents about the X back in early june. Anyway, they needed a new phone, so they went to the verizon store. Apparently they looked at a bunch of android based phones, and my father told the rep that I was waiting for the X, and the rep said that he hoped I was capable of waiting until September...well, here I am 3 months early. (Now if only froyo was 3 months early...)

Global Posts
    830 Global Posts

General rule of thumb...

REPS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING.
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

Quote Originally Posted by gafly View Post
    General rule of thumb...

And have no decision making power.
    PAST:

LG ENV, BB Storm I

NOW

Droid "X"

He probably thought you meant Frodo? Fredo?

i'm actually surprised he knew wtf you were talking about

Coming from someone who has worked in Retail his whole life there are always Rumors that go around.

Let's hope that he just heard a rumor.
    Androidoholic

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Heard August... but not holding my breath
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

General rule of thumb...

And if you find a rep that seems to know something refer to above.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

No sense in sweating over when it is coming out. I take whatever date they say and add 4 to 6 weeks to it, just the way it is. So basically late September would be my guess. I think at least after their Droid 2 is released, not before. Just my guess.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Re: Asked a rep about Froyo for the X

Tapatalk very cool by the way

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

When I heard late summer, I translated that to September which is technically still summer.

To be honest, I'm not totally sure why, but it is, what it is and no use in whinging or complaining. The DX is plenty fast as it is.

General rule of thumb...

Absolutely agree. I am constantly arguing with the reps in my local corporate store. Verizon has a lot of positives, but knowledgeable employees is not one of them.

And my rep said Froyo in August.

General rule of thumb...

Bingo. There are two at my store that are phone nerds like us that actually keep up with the Android news blogs and forums. This is the first time I have ever found store reps that know anything beyond what big Red hands them.

I am new to the whole android scene and I was just wondering why is 2.2 going to be so great? What's the big differences that make it better than 2.1?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by NickB2005 View Post
    I am new to the whole android scene and I was just wondering why is 2.2 going to be so great? What's the big differences that make it better than 2.1?
    Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers read this page, and you're sure to share everyones excitement
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

I would also check out places like Anandtech's Droid X review. In it he puts the X up against the N1 with and without Froyo. The DX stands tall mostly winning most benchmarks against a 2.1 N1. But is completely trashed by the Froyo N1. Basically the DX/D2 will be the most powerful cell phones ever created (As of 7-23-10) once they get Froyo.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Default Re: Asked a rep about Froyo for the X

Quote Originally Posted by NickB2005 View Post
    Lots of small features, but the new compiler makes it just amazing. I mean, like 60fps amazing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Free Verizon phone > Moto Q9c > Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > DROID X!

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod10

Let's not start this. Trust me, as an Eris user who had to wait several months for 2.1 there is no sense in counting the days, you'll go mad. You'll get it when Google, Motorola, and VZW are ready. Trust me...

That said I am still waiting on my X to see if it even needs an update.
    HTC Touch Pro>HTC Droid Eris>Moto Droid X>Samsung Focus>HTC Sensation 4G>Nexus 4>Nexus 5
    Your phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months.

Global Posts
    632 Global Posts

General rule of thumb...

exactly.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

General rule of thumb...

I dont think that we need to go that far.

Quote Originally Posted by mhutsell3 View Post
    And have no decision making power.
    This is true though

I asked a rep what the CEO had for lunch yesterday. He thought tuna, but wasnt sure....

this is basically the same type of question you are asking Rep's. If it were the Army they would say that is way above their pay grade. They dont need to know, and most dont care to know. They dont get paid to sell the future, they get paid to sell what is in the back room today.

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2ND View Post
    I dont think that we need to go that far.

This is true though

I asked a rep what the CEO had for lunch yesterday. He thought tuna, but wasnt sure....

this is basically the same type of question you are asking Rep's. If it were the Army they would say that is way above their pay grade. They dont need to know, and most dont care to know. They dont get paid to sell the future, they get paid to sell what is in the back room today.
    That is another good point. VZW doesn't want them to know all the time either. You think they want the reps to tell someone looking at the D1 that if they wait 2 weeks they can get the D2? No they want the reps to sell the D1 and sell it know before the left-overs band together and start a riot because that is what Droid Does.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast