1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Verizon Reporting 5X More Data Use With The X

Read an article posted on a Droid X blog, where Verizon was reporting that new users of the X were scarfing down 5 times more data than other smartphone users.
    Of course, this leads one to suspect that the tiered data plans aren't far off. No info heard how Verizon will handle these new plans with regards to existing users.

This might be a temporary thing, as we settle in with our new devices, and the data usage could calm down in time. OR, with the coming of Froyo, it could escalate.

Thoughts?
    Droid Charge
    There is nothing constant but change.
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Quote Originally Posted by derpudel View Post
    Read an article posted on a Droid X blog, where Verizon was reporting that new users of the X were scarfing down 5 times more data than other smartphone users.
    Of course, this leads one to suspect that the tiered data plans aren't far off. No info heard how Verizon will handle these new plans with regards to existing users.

This might be a temporary thing, as we settle in with our new devices, and the data usage could calm down in time. OR, with the coming of Froyo, it could escalate.

Thoughts?
    I suspect that theres more data useage because this was a very anticipated phone and it has the hotspot capability. But I agree, I feel that tiered Plans won't be far off at all.
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

While the Droid Incredible has sold well - it doesn't have the same enthusiastic following as the Motorolla Droid family. The Droid X will most likely end up being Verizon's number one selling smart phone and why not...it is a compelling device and the Motorolla name has better brand recognition than HTC and the screen is larger.

The Droid X is flying off the shelf just like the iPhone and when people get them they spend lots of time playing with their phone...which drives data usage through the roof.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I'm guessing that the usage will go drastically down once everyone gets their apps installed and the novelty of the phone drains.

Quote Originally Posted by nudave View Post
    I'm guessing that the usage will go drastically down once everyone gets their apps installed and the novelty of the phone drains.
    Probably not by much though. With an always on data connection and more functionality comes greater data use. It is the reason ATT has such problems and why they cut their data plans. Don't expect this to drop at all unless Verizon goes the way ATT does and maxes you out at 2gb.

There should be a bit of both. I know I'm not using as much bandwidth this week as I was last week...but I'm still using a lot more than I was on my Storm a couple weeks ago.

That said, the Wired article on the iPhone said that when it launched users were using 19x as much data as other smart phones (which was more than double AT&T's initial estimate). So I sort of doubt that Droid X usage is far out of line with what Verizon expected. If anything, the number is just being floated to help provide justification for the tiered pricing model they were already planning on moving to ahead of their LTE roll out.

I know im using a TON more data then i ever did with my blackberry. I never did things like stream pandora in the car, but that's almost all i do with the x.

Hopefully we get to keep out unlimited data... or ill be screwed. 2gb just wont cut it on this bad boy.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I would imagine that a grandfather clause will be in place for current Verizon subscribers.

Default Re: Verizon Reporting 5X More Data Use With The X

All I know is I get a nervous twitch when my X isn't in my hands.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    My phone is....Incredible!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rskap67 View Post
    I would imagine that a grandfather clause will be in place for current Verizon subscribers.
    Until we re-new our contracts again:-(
    Droid Charge

Quote Originally Posted by derpudel View Post
    Until we re-new our contracts again:-(
    I seriously hope this isn't the case I mean, even if unlimited was like $39.99, I'd still pay it just because its unlimited. The thought of being capped on something so ubiquitous is discouraging.

Think about every action you make on this phone. Almost 9 times out of 10 you're using data. To have to monitor your data usage and when things get a bit close to cap, have to shut down functionality of the phone just because you don't want to go over is enough for me to spend an extra $10+ bucks a month to avoid.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Well, it's been clear for months that this is going to happen before your next contract renewal. Honestly, they have little choice but to go to tiered pricing when LTE gets rolled out, as the incipient 3.7G network won't be able to handle unlimited data plans for several years.

So expect tiered plans to be introduced before November (when the LTE computer cards should go on sale)...I'd expect an announcement in September with a month long grace period for people to renew to get unlimited data plans. Either way it's not going to impact any current DX users.

Looks like I've used 20MB since the 15th. I think I'll be safe with whatever limit they set.

Looks like I used 540mb...so 2gb a month would be close to what I was using during the first week.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Bill Resets the 13th

593.17MB as of 23rd at 1:19am

Quote Originally Posted by rskap67 View Post
    I would hope so....*crossing fingers*
    Storm 1 --> EnV2 -->Curve 8330-->Tour-->Storm2 --> FINALLY, a DROID X!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    I seriously hope this isn't the case I mean, even if unlimited was like $39.99, I'd still pay it just because its unlimited. The thought of being capped on something so ubiquitous is discouraging.

Think about every action you make on this phone. Almost 9 times out of 10 you're using data. To have to monitor your data usage and when things get a bit close to cap, have to shut down functionality of the phone just because you don't want to go over is enough for me to spend an extra $10+ bucks a month to avoid.
    I don't think we like being "capped" on anything. Not salaries, not speed limits, not data usage. We are a society of excess. We want our use of our devices to be "unlimited". Trouble is, the manufacturers put out these really cool electronics and leave it up to the carriers to figure out how to deliver the goods. It's been a "perfect storm" coming. Back when a low percentage of people used the simple cell phone, there weren't these issues. Then companies started really innovating and we liked it, bought it and expect our services to be unlimited and affordable (whatever that is).

That is all coming to a screaming end. We might as well get prepared for it. Data is going to cost us more. If we want to continue to have these little laptops with us all the time, and with more on the way....the highways are getting very crowded.
    Droid Charge

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

whoa! just checked mine and it says 8198865KB...i would be so screwed

People here talking about cap limits is mostly ignoring the real truth of the matter. 2GB doesn't cost them any more then 200MB. The point is the more you use the service the more likely you will be competing with others in their bandwidth which means they are basically selling a transfer-rate that they can't offer to everyone at the same time and hope placing constraints on usage will lower the likelihood of everyone downloading at the same time. What they should be doing is capping the rate and charging more for faster rates, not capacity.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You are right about rates vs. capacity. Would make more sense to charge by rate, but then how many would opt out for the slower rates of transfer? You'd still be in the same boat...with a large majority using the system to its max. Just ask AT&T.

I'm am certainly no expert on data uses and bandwidths, etc. LTE will put a new light on all of this.
    Droid Charge

This is going against what Steve Jobs has said about the Iphone dropping calls. I don't remember when but he said that "The reason AT&T has a problem dropping calls is because of the amount of data that they have to handle for the Iphone." I love it!