Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swype converts?

I thought Swype was just plain ole stupid. Then....
    I started playing around with it. And after getting a lil more used to it, I just can't imagine going back to hitting each key.
    sorta feel like Tom Cruise in Minority Report...

Anybody else experienced this phenomenon?
    Galaxy S4
    XOOM
    Tab 2
    rootless

I wish there was a setting to have different keyboards in different orientations. I like swype but not in landscape... i would prefer the regular keyboard in landscape.

yeah, I too was leery about swype at first. I thought it was awkward and slow. But thats what I thought about T9 when it first came out as well. I got used to swype now and its fast. not being specific when swyping really makes a difference. its awesome

Edit: i really like the fast switch to different keyboards with swype. like swyping from the swype button to "5" brings up the numeric keypad then swyping from swype to directly right brings up the doc editor keyboard
    Last edited by Aggie12; 07-23-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I like both Swype and SwiftKey....use both.
    Droid Charge
    There is nothing constant but change.
    MacGyver Wannabe

I've never used a touchscreen keyboard before (other than a demo text here and there) and I love Swype. When I got the X, I was really slow with the keyboard. I tried Swype and haven't looked back.

Default Re: Swype converts?

I really like swype a lot. I thought I was going to miss the keyboard on my curve but I really haven't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    My phone is....Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by alpha752 View Post
    I wish there was a setting to have different keyboards in different orientations. I like swype but not in landscape... i would prefer the regular keyboard in landscape.
    I agree 200%

My phone is....Incredible!

Yea I like swype too. I think it's the best method of one handed typing since T9
    MacGyver Wannabe

My only beef is that you can't see the number of characters remaining in a single text when in landscape mode.

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    I thought Swype was just plain ole stupid. Then....
    I started playing around with it. And after getting a lil more used to it, I just can't imagine going back to hitting each key.
    sorta feel like Tom Cruise in Minority Report...

Anybody else experienced this phenomenon?

me. for sure.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Swype is pretty freakin' amazing. I would also like to see the option of different keyboards in different orientations though. As others have said landscape Swype is kinda gigantic on the X. Feels like my fingertip is running a marathon in landscape mode.
    Last edited by BillK; 07-23-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Swype is great, though I'm still making a few errors (and I don't tend to review my texts before I send, so there were some weird texts that went out, lol), so I adjusted the setting for more accuracy with less speed.
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Love it,can't get along without it.

Another month and I'll wonder how i ever got along without it.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Swype is the single best part about having a touchscreen. Made me miss my blackberry less. Also, thanks for the tip for getting the keypad to come up.

Free Verizon phone > Moto Q9c > Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > DROID X!

I also had my doubts about swype. But I am an avid user now.

I didn't know that you could bring up the document editing by hitting the swype key and going right. That's great thanks. That wasn't in the tutorial.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Swype is really cool, but I can't use it personally, i mess up too much, Multi touch keyboard for me.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I was thinking this exact same thing. I can sure text with one hand quicker in portrait mode.

Oddly, I found its easier to swype bigger words correctly than two and three letter words. Must be the bigger words narrows it's guess down.

I've found people look at you funny tho....I at first thought they could be thinking 'wow, he's got some new fangled gadget, he's smarted'.
    Then I realized they were thinking 'he's doodling'.
    Galaxy S4
    XOOM
    Tab 2
    rootless

I've noticed that no matter how much you use a virtual keyboard you cant hit the muscle memory/accuracy level of a physical keyboard when it comes to typing without looking. Swype however, lets you memorize gestures for words, and doesn't require you to be a hundred percent accurate to get that word out. Also, swype is the only keyboard I've been able use one handed faster than 20 wpm. I love swype.

Swype has swiped my heart.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by bzh027 View Post
    I've noticed that no matter how much you use a virtual keyboard you cant hit the muscle memory/accuracy level of a physical keyboard when it comes to typing without looking. Swype however, lets you memorize gestures for words, and doesn't require you to be a hundred percent accurate to get that word out. Also, swype is the only keyboard I've been able use one handed faster than 20 wpm. I love swype.
    I'm actually getting really good at the memorizing virtual keyboard, its less about feeling the keys as it is remembering the amount of space to use. Just my two cents.
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.

It is fairly easy to switch. Just long press the data entry area you are looking to type in and a menu will come up that has text input as a choice. You can the select any keyboard you have loaded on your device.

I did swype for 3-4 days. I can tap quicker than i can swype easily...i felt like I was actually having to think about how to spell things and where I needed to go on the keyboard where with tapping its just second nature. I didn't like the lack of autocorrection, and the small keys when you tap something instead of swype.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

I was intimated by swype at first...came over from a qwerty bb and I also used an itouch a lot when at home...but after a couple days of swype,i will say this about it- 1. I agree with the poster that said it made them not miss the qwerty-i find it to be just as fast sometimes 2. It has made my itouch unusable for email, facebook, etc. I am always trying to swype it, it's disappointing!
    Viva swype!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast