Dust under the screen

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I have a spec of dust under the screen under my Droid X's screen :(

I visited my local verizon store hoping they'd swap it out, but alas none in stock. They were nice enough to get one on order and have it shipped to my house.

My question, is, am I being too picky? The particle of dust wasn't there before, as its in a section of the screen that's quite noticable, when reading web pages. Any idea how it got there? My concern is if one piece ended up there, then in time others could.

Oh, I'll be adding a screen protector on the new one, my other concern is that this one is virtually perfect, so I'm a little nervous that I'll not be so lucky this time around.

kroman1107

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. Its an expensive device and an investment. You'll have it for probably the next 2 years. Make sure its perfect. Your going to put enough wear and tear on it as it is.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Im tired of this. Every new phone someone states this
I call bs.

I don't really care if you believe me or not. In fact, if you didn't believe my post, why even respond.

To the other posters - It is bugging, my biggest worry about keeping the phone vs. exchanging it is this. If one piece got in there, how many more would migrate in some how and how would this affect the resale value.

Since the phone is just a little over a week old, I'll not put up with it.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's picky at all. The 30 days exchange policy is already budgeted by Verizon; why not take advantage of it to get exactly what you paid for?

With regards to being concerned with not getting another perfect one, I would have to take that chance if it was me. Just knowing that spec of dust is there would have me thinking about it every time I picked up the phone.

...btw, you've got me looking at my screen now from all angles! ;)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You're calling BS about dust under the screen? Why, may I ask? Is it that far fetched? I've seen it numerous times. Not with this phone yet though
so i see u had a storm1 and that is where i started hearing from. ive owned the s1 moto droid dinc each phone some brings up dust. in all my smart phones ive never seen one piece. as with folks coming from bb storms all you folks do is bring up memory issues dust issues build quality etc.

l44l44

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The digitizer is not laminated to the LCD, so most, if not all, Xs will eventually end up with some dust under the screen. Just a fact of life.

Learned this the hard way from playing the Homerun Battle 3D game, where you have to press down on one spot of the screen over and over. I think the screen presses sort of suction in some dust, so that the corner has more dust than the rest of the screen.

On my fourth X so far.

Last edited:

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't put up with it either. Years ago I had a Samsung Alias flip phone that got a ton of dust under the screen and it made me insane. Mine was out of warranty when it happened so I had to pay to get it fixed.

Matt Kline

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
so i see u had a storm1 and that is where i started hearing from. ive owned the s1 moto droid dinc each phone some brings up dust. in all my smart phones ive never seen one piece. as with folks coming from bb storms all you folks do is bring up memory issues dust issues build quality etc.

I just got rid of an iphone 3gs that had tons of dust under the screen. It was my own fault for being an ironworker out on the job site all day but, it can and does happen.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I honestly don't know what you're getting at. I tried to read your post a few times and I have no idea what you're trying to say. Yes I did have a Storm 1. Yes it did have memory issues and dust under the screen. Both were known issues. Are you saying that just because you never had dust under your screens, you don't believe the OP?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I actually had the dust under the screen issue with my Hero. It was really annoying. I haven't had that issue yet with my EVO, but I hear that it is common with touchscreen devices. Good thing is, some carriers offer to clean it for free.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually had the dust under the screen issue with my Hero. It was really annoying. I haven't had that issue yet with my EVO, but I hear that it is common with touchscreen devices. Good thing is, some carriers offer to clean it for free.

I agree. It's incredibly annoying. BTW, do you know how the carriers clean it out? I've never heard that before (probably because my carrier doesn't do it?) and I've love to know how to do it myself. I've tried the compressed air but that never worked for me.

mikells43

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
my hp laptop thats under 5 months old just got sent back and the lcd replaced due to what i thought was just dust but they said was a pixel lol. i didnt argue.

btw im keith and im a newb here i recently made the switch from bb to android. liking it so far so good.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The digitizer is not laminated to the LCD, so most, if not all, Xs will eventually end up with some dust under the screen. Just a fact of life.

That is troubling to hear :( I'll be looking for a case now that may minimize this and also a screen protector.

mlynchmob16

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I hope I don't get dust under my screen when I get my DX. I agree if it has it in already get it replaced. I had a Storm 1 and OMG the dust was horrible. It didn't help that all my favorite backgrounds were white. I got it replaced twice because of the dust but never after my 1 year warranty expired because I knew it would just do it again and I wasn't gonna pay asurion for a phone that was going to have the same problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC