The Truth About CityID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan B

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
CityID is the real annoyance -the other factory apps are fine with me since if I don't bother them, they don't bother me.

Why did Moto put CityID on the phone? Moto gets a cut of your subscription to the service, thereby generating a revenue stream.

See Cequint's "revenue calculator" for a concrete example (screenshot attached). The whole sales pitch to the phone manufacturers implicitly recognizes that most people don't want this overpriced service. They hope that 10% or even 5% will sign-up. The other 95% are just annoyed by it.

Sound familiar? That's advertising, and we all knew CityID was advertising on our phones. Many of us failed to recognize that the advertising is on behalf of Motorola. Moto is indirectly advertising on the phone they sold us.

It gets worse:
The document on Cequint's site notes that the app will forever receive details of your calls, although after the trial period is up it will report back "unsubscribed" instead of the city name. CityID will be loaded into memory whenever you make a call, then will stay resident until the memory is needed for something else.

Rant
At least give us a "NO Thanks" button instead of the current choices:
  • Please bother me later
  • Let me pay you to stop bothering me

Cequint actually says: "once unsubscribed, City ID will remain as an icon on the device and be available for subscription should you decide at a later time to sign up."

How thoughtful.

(not to mention that CityID is a very basic app)

Last edited:

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Caller ID is listed on my Verizon plan information and it pisses me off that they would install this City ID to make money off of something that I am already entitled to. I understand the App basically does an area code lookup on phone numbers with no caller ID information, but why wouldn't caller ID be upgraded to this technology instead of nickle and diming me MORE.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Also. What's wrong with advertising and/or generating revenue? I have a feeling this is a way for Verizon to generate revenue. That's what contributes to the great reception you get. If you want a piece of that revenue buy Verizon stock. It pays over 6% dividend. What's your checking account paying you?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Um, the problems ISN'T that they installed it hoping people would use the service; if you like it and want to pay for it that's great for you AND Verizon, and I say more power to both.

The problem is that if you don't want it you can't uninstall it, and it actually consumes system resources even when you don't want it to run, because of the way it's designed to work.

I think most of us are just fine with Verizon marketing products to people, but frankly it's indefensible to say they are justified in shoving something on our phone that can't be removed even if we don't want it that drains battery life and uses system memory even when we aren't using it. That's horse-puckey.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well and with all the pre installed apps, it would be really nice to get rid of them. Yeah sure put them on the stock phone so you have the option, but if people don't want them let us have the option to remove them (without having to root to do it).

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Also. What's wrong with advertising and/or generating revenue? I have a feeling this is a way for Verizon to generate revenue. That's what contributes to the great reception you get. If you want a piece of that revenue buy Verizon stock. It pays over 6% dividend. What's your checking account paying you?

the problem is it's forced upon us.
I bought a device. that device now belongs to me and I should have the right to decide what goes on it and what doesn't. That shouldn't be up to motorola or verizon or anyone else.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I tried the white pages app but it didn't do Id tell after call since it uses web to Id call. I'm happy with city Id. I see no problem with it. If u don't like it remove it. the X can be rooted in 10mins.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried the white pages app but it didn't do Id tell after call since it uses web to Id call. I'm happy with city Id. I see no problem with it. If u don't like it remove it. the X can be rooted in 10mins.

The problem is you have to void your warranty in order to remove a fluff app, that comes factory installed that cannot be removed. VZW should not be forcing apps on their customers.

As I recall, Microsoft got into lawsuits over something very similar. Things are a bit different with the OS being open source, but the court told Microsoft they couldn't twist it's users arms to use certain programs, I imagine it would tell the same to Verizon.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It's just like buying a new car that has XM or Sirius installed even if you don't plan on subscribing. Nothing new here. Also, there are many apps preinstalled that I don't use. Hide them.

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It's just like buying a new car that has XM or Sirius installed even if you don't plan on subscribing. Nothing new here. Also, there are many apps preinstalled that I don't use. Hide them.

Except the mere presence of XM or Sirius on my radio doesn't cause my car to drop 25 horsepower.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
the problem is it's forced upon us.
I bought a device. that device now belongs to me and I should have the right to decide what goes on it and what doesn't. That shouldn't be up to motorola or verizon or anyone else.

You should have read your customer agreement before you bought your device.

"Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."

When you bought your phone you agreed to this... even though its highly unlikely that you took the time to read your customer agreement before you got the device "now belongs to me".

I dont like it either (thats why I rooted my phone), but I dont think I am entitled to feel otherwise... only a fool does.

Last edited:

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, this is absolutely nothing like that. Not only does an XM or Sirius radio fail to impact your car's performance (as noted above) but you are free to buy a different stereo and install it yourself. Further more, removing the offending stereo does not void your warranty nor cause certified technicians to refuse to perform necessary repairs.

Including bloatware to try and make money is fine; forcing the customer to leave it on their phone even when they don't want it, and letting the unwanted app consume phone resources is ludicrous and anti consumer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
"Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."

When you bought your phone you agreed to this... even though its highly unlikely that you took the time to read your customer agreement before you got the device "that belongs to me".

Yeah, that's nice and all, but it's just legal boilerplate that indemnifies them from a lawsuit on the subject. It's not the same as the consumer having no rights; we could still return the phones, or advise others not to do so.

But really none of us are even going that far; some good old fashioned pressure from consumers should suffice.

And if it doesn't then I'll root my phone after 2.2 and I won't purchase another motorola product until they stop.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's nice and all, but it's just legal boilerplate that indemnifies them from a lawsuit on the subject. It's not the same as the consumer having no rights; we could still return the phones, or advise others not to do so.

But really none of us are even going that far; some good old fashioned pressure from consumers should suffice.

And if it doesn't then I'll root my phone after 2.2 and I won't purchase another motorola product until they stop.

Believe it or not, but sometimes you cant have your cake and eat it too.

You do have rights/options:

a) dont buy the phone in the first place if you disagree with terms of the sale.

b) return the phone and purchase from a vendor who agrees with your beliefs.

c) dont marry a fat girl and then complain she's fat afterwards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey