Maybe this explains the rebooting/bad battery life?

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine at work has an original Droid, and our boss just bought some phone (I don't remember what) that runs Android. Well the boss was having battery issues just like me (after I upgraded my Droid X via the software update). My friend said he had seen this before, and that the issue was that the software might not have installed properly (hence the constant reboots as it kept trying), and that it might have been constantly trying to download the software update, and killing the battery. Iwas having severe battery life issues after the update up until Saturday afternoon, where my phone finally rebooted on its own once more, and after that, its been fine, just like it was on launch day. Does this make sense? Has anyone else has horrible battery life that just recently seemed to rectify itself?

liquidhonesty

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Keep me updated...my wife's phone has now rebooted itself 4 times. It just locks up and then reboots for no reason. I tried restoring it once already...still did it. So I'm thinking I need to go back to Verizon and get a replacement.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I still seem to be having a screen freeze issue about once a day though. Sometimes I can just power the phone off and back on, other times I have to pull the battery, but the rebooting seems to have stopped and my battery life is phenomenal again.

jasoncardenas21

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Update #1
Initial Impression: I was amazed, just like any new gadget. This phone did what my Tour 9630 never did for me. It WOWED me. After messing with it lightly during the first weekend, playing with apps and the normal stuff that you do with a new phone. The first Saturday, I listened to Pandora for nearly 4 hours and the battery didn't really take that big of a hit. I was still able to do things later without worrying about the battery.

It seems to me that since the update to 1.13.604.MB810 that the battery life has taken a significant hit. This past Saturday, I was going to a concert and knew I would be using the camera and camcorder features more than usual so I made sure that it had a full charge when I left the house. The battery was completely dead within 5 hours and that consisted of taking 1-4 minute video, voice recorded about 3 songs, about 15 pics taken and a few texts, phonecalls and maybe accessed the web 1 time. That was not acceptable and I was very disappointed.

Yesterday I changed some settings to prolong the battery life, but it still seems like it would be tough to get a good day of use out of it with normal usage. I, am also like ProperModulation in the fact that I like listening to my daily recordings of Stern, also use DoggCatcher to capture all of my podcasts. The main purpose of me purchasing this phone is so I didn't have to bring my Blackberry and my Ipod Classic to one place, this was suppose to eliminate the hassle of carrying seperate things around.

All in all, the phone is a great phone, I just wish the battery would get me through the day. I don't feel like buying another battery either.

Update #2:
This is where I'm at for today. I still think something is wrong with my battery. I've read other forums where people are saying that they're getting a day to a day and a half on 1 charge with normal usage, i.e. phone, web, camera etc...

Last night I let the battery drain completely until it shut off. I then plugged it in, charged for the 2.5 hours it took to get it back to 100%. I then unplugged it and let it sit overnight.

Turned phone on at 6:10 a.m. Deleted the 6 emails that came in, replied to 1 text and checked facebook. I got to work at 6:30 at about 7:30 it used doggcatcher to download the first 40 minute podcast of the Dan Patrick Show, listened to that, with headphones, it proceded to download the next 2 40 minute sessions in which I listened to those as well. I listened to about 45 minutes of Stern too.

I also reset everything to not automatically update, i.e. PureMessenger Widget, DoggCatcher, FeedR, so if I wanted anything, I would have to manually refresh all of my apps.

Made/Received a total of 9 phone calls, had 1 google voice message I listened to and completed a total of 27 text messages.

About 5 minutes of mobile web on the browser and that was it. In that time, the wifi was turned off, gps turned off, screen brightness at a very low 11% and bluetooth was never on.

After a total of 10 hours (from 6:10 a.m. to 4:10 p.m.) of what I would consider light usage, I just received the 15% warning for the battery.

I don't know how many times you should cycle your battery, but I expect to get at least a day out of this thing with all I've used it for. Prop, give me your opinion, I'm tempted to call Verizon to see if I can get a battery replacement.

Battery is completely dead at 4:52 p.m. so 10 hours and 32 minutes.

Put it on a charge at 5:30 p.m. and it took until 7:00 p.m to get to 100% charged, took it off the charger, turned it on, returned 3 texts and it was down to 90%. What do I need to do?

tmax1964

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
my brother in law having same issue, he called verizon and they were sending him a new phone I will let you know what happenes, but I went away this past weekend and used lightly myself a few phone call a few texts checked email a few times took 1 video and 5-6 pictures and boom needed to recharge by 5 pm well I couldnt I was at a disney park. I agree it should at least get you through a day if nothing else, you should be able to use the phone to its capacity with worrying about only getting a half day out of it. I love the phone and just want a battery fix Please help.. I already turned stuff off and adjust time on email alerts etc including dimming the screen brightness. Really should NOT have to do all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've never gotten what I'd consider satisfactory battery life really. The first couple days I was charging it in early afternoon and then having it die at bed time, to be charged over night again. After adjust a few settings I was getting 12-13 hours for a day or two, but it's back to the 8-10 hour range again. I just manually darkened the screen to like 20%, so maybe that's the difference, but it still feels like the battery life just isn't pulling what others report, even when I coddle it.

Edit: The days I got the best battery life was just before the update, when I used the trick of turning the phone off when it hit 15% as it would reboot with 70% battery and indeed make it another 4 hours or so. Now the battery display is consistent when I reboot, but it doesn't have the life I had got for about 2 days before the OTA update.

Edit 2: I'm at 6 hours exactly since I last charged the phone, and 50% battery life. I've done a couple of emails, one tweet, did a bit of tapatalk browsing for maybe 30 minutes, and another 15 minutes or so of internet use. Screen has been on 20% brightness the whole time. I've poured over advice on maximizing batter life and it doesn't seem to help much. Nor does my phone try to freeze or reboot. Help?

Last edited:

richpjr#AC

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking it has something to do with widgets or background programs running. I was having some battery issues after experimenting with a bunch of widgets. I removed them all, as well as the task manager, added only a couple of them back, and now am getting a full day out of it with no issues, both before and after the update.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I only have one widget (Beautiful Home), no ATM, and I've removed all of the programs that Moto allows me to that run in the background. So that's not the cause of my problems.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I can't make it through a full day with relatively light usage either. On most days, I don't even use the browser. If I do, it's less than 10 minutes in the whole day. I have tried everything I can think of. static wallpaper, backlight turned all the way down, trashed amost all the stock moto widgets, etc.

I thought my BB Storm on a hybrid of leaked .591 siftware was bad. This is worse!

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Did you all condition your battery as Verizon recommends?

?For the first 3 charge cycles, fully charge the battery overnight and allow it to fully discharge before recharging (battery conditioning).

Battery Overview - Motorola DROID X MB810

i know i didn't do this when i received my phone and would have appreciated a heads-up from a Verizon rep when i purchased. what i find interesting about this information is the following:

"A Lithium-ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a charger for more than 24 hours)."

since when does this type of battery "overcharge"? my understanding was that the technology in these batteries never allowed for an overcharge? um, something is not right here. i use a desktop charger every night!

deadlift425

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You cant overcharge these batteries, they have built in circuitry to prevent it from happening.

I would just like to know how to turn off the news and weather widgets. I personally do not care about them on the main screen.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
snap20100728235942.png

Wifi on all day
Bluetooth on all day
GPS on all day (well, enabled..not necessarily in use)
====
Screen - 30 second time out (Tasker makes this longer for some apps when I have them open)
Brightness - Use profiles app to set options at 10, 25, 50, 75 and 100 and I adjust throughout the day as needed... I only use the profiles app for brightness settings. I use Foxy Ring for auto volume level every 6 min.
Battery Manager - Performance Mode
ATK - auto killing every 30 min (most processes/apps are on ignore list...only killing stuff that I never use)
CacheMate - running every hour
SetCPU - 300 to 600 while screen off
SetCPU - 800 to 1000 while screen on
SetCPU - 300 to 600 if temp over 113*F

Last edited:

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
gafly: rooted? I didn't think SetCPU worked otherwise.

Anyhow, while I made it 16 hours the last charge...that was because 8 of them were on standby. Today I made it just over 6. Screen is also at 30 sec timeout, wifi on, blue-tooth off, GPS available (but rarely used). Screen adjusted manually, but between 20 and 40%, battery manager at "Smart" setting. Not ATK (althogh I bought the advanced version so I could reinstall it). I uninstalled the Pure Calendar Widget and replaced it with a different one because I'd seen reports that it was draining battery...doesn't seem to have a noticieable impact.

At this point I don't know what it could be, unless Launcher Pro Plus is draining a lot of battery, but I'm pretty sure I've seen users with reasonable battery life.

This is so frustrating :(

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Those of you with rebooting issues, have you noticed if the phone is unusually hot? Heat can cause that.