anyones battery getting hotter much quicker?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My phones battery temp now jumps like 15? in about 10 minutes, and this is coming from a dead sleep doing routine tasks (no gps, light 3g). i just wanted to see of anyone has had similar experiences, and if anyone knew what i should be looking for to correct this

Last edited:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Check your running processes and see if theres any chewing up mass amounts of CPU cycles. Thats my best suggestion. I know that exploid continued to run after rooting and was at like 80-90% CPU usage, with no sign of killing on its own. Use Astro to check processes.

Just rooting shouldn't do anything as far as taxing your hardware is concerned...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe there is a process/app hammering your CPU. There's a program in the market called Android OS System Info. If you open the Run-Time information menu and then go to Process Information screen (rotate in landscape for better visibility), you might be able to see if that's the case. It's very similar to Windows task manager. There might be better programs out there, that show the same info, but that's what I use.

Edit: What ^^^ DaRkL3AD3R said :)

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
cory, i couldnt find the app you mentioned; i guess its named something slightly different?

thanks to both of you guys. i flipped through the process manager in astro, and couldnt find anything jumping out at me (the android system was the biggest cpu user, but that is to be expected), except for it seemed like launcherpro was running twice somehow. i killed it off to be safe, but are there any processes that tend to run on for no reason. dark, i looked for exploid, but didnt find it on the process list at all

edit: so i have been messing with my phone, and all seems to be well for now. its as if whatever rogue process was causing problems knew i was coming for it when i opened a process manager and shut it self down. also did a reboot for good measure. i will revisit this thread if i start having issues again tomorrow

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
cory, i couldnt find the app you mentioned; i guess its named something slightly different?

Sorry about that. It's called Android System Info. The developer is Googe (not Google) Inc.

Come to think of it, the symptoms you originally described have happened to me a few times also, and I'm not rooted.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
yeah, like i said, just started happening out of nowhere. i at least now know where to go to investigate these issues though.

btw cory, since this is apparently unrelated to rooting, i am going to edit my first post, and can you move to the regular droid x board?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Check your running processes and see if theres any chewing up mass amounts of CPU cycles. Thats my best suggestion. I know that exploid continued to run after rooting and was at like 80-90% CPU usage, with no sign of killing on its own. Use Astro to check processes.

Just rooting shouldn't do anything as far as taxing your hardware is concerned...

How do you check processes with Astro? Paid version?

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
This just happened to me for the first time a few hours ago. I had 60% battery, took 2 calls for a total of 11 minutes and then a few minutes later noticed the battery was at 30%. Thought that was weird. Then 30 mins later the battery started beeping that it needed to be recharged.
I noticed the battery was particularly hot.
I'll look up that app.
Thanks

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok, going of the info in here, I downloaded the app and noticed that this process:

bg app_16 android.process.media

was chewing up 87% of the processing power.
That sound good? How would I go about stopping that?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow that's pretty high. What media apps (if any) did you have open? Also, I don't think that process list automatically updates, so you might want to go in and out and see if it consistently stays that high.

Either way - my shift is over - time for some shut eye :)

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow that's pretty high. What media apps (if any) did you have open? Also, I don't think that process list automatically updates, so you might want to go in and out and see if it consistently stays that high.

Either way - my shift is over - time for some shut eye :)

Thanks for your help. Actually, I didn't have anything open. It's been sitting on the charger after been dead for 2 hours while I was out.

It looks like it's indexing the SD card but it's been doing that for 1 1/2 hours. I've got 8-9 gigs loaded on the stock 16gb.

It's always taken a long time. Maybe that's where the problem is?

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets hot too, but only when I've been running several apps in succession (e.g. a game, then browser, then market, or something along those lines). I don't notice it too much and it hasn't hampered my performance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance